We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus November 2008  (Read 42948 times)

dominique

• River Dweller
  • passionated by bulbs since 1978,
Re: Crocus November 2008
« Reply #165 on: November 18, 2008, 10:14:19 AM »
Hi Oron
Crocus nerimaniae is a stunning, never seen by me before. Thank you
do

Pontoux France

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #166 on: November 18, 2008, 01:14:53 PM »
Isn't this thread a real treat to all of us !!!

Well, if I may speak here for myself and for my husband...... YES... YES.... YES!!!!

94347-0
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

HClase

« Reply #167 on: November 18, 2008, 06:23:31 PM »
A couple of days ago it was bright enough for my last few goulimyi to open up a bit.  These pictures show the difference in petal shape between the two var/ssp as I have them.

Going though my notes more carefully I see that C. speciosus 'Cassiope' was planted in the general area of the rock garden where the deep blue speciosus are appearing now, but I think they got moved around as corms when it was renovated a few years ago, but I'm 99% sure that is what they are.  Finally doing quite well as there are at least a dozen flowers at each site and possible more to come.  I have to bring them in to get them to open up though, we haven't had serious sun for days.  The were bought in the late 1970's from Cruickshank's who, I think, got their bulbs from Tubergens
Howard Clase, St John's, Newfoundland.

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #168 on: November 18, 2008, 07:19:43 PM »
Oron
My first thought for your white cancellatus was Crocus cancellatus ssp lycius which is white or very pale flowered.  Checking in Brian Mathew's book it is listed as being found in W Antalya & E Mugla provinces in SW Turkey.  I think this must be it!

Thank you, it is a pleasure to share this photos and change information with you all.

Tony you are right, it is Cancellatus lycius, I have been reading BM notes last night, and figured it is the one.

Today it is raining here like in Scotland, never theless I decided to drive to Akseki, and on the way I have seen many C. asumaniae, and many Cancellatus pampylicus, unfortunately  i couldn't even take out my camera,
well another visit is necessary next year, same time. ;)
Cyclamen cilicium is just every where in that area.
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #169 on: November 18, 2008, 07:36:07 PM »
Today it is raining here like in Scotland, never theless I decided to drive to Akseki, and on the way I have seen many C. asumaniae, and many Cancellatus pampylicus, unfortunately  i couldn't even take out my camera,
well another visit is necessary next year, same time.
Cyclamen cilicium is just every where in that area.

Well, Oron, it was not actually raining here in Aberdeen today, though it was very dull ....but if I had made a trip I would not see such treasures..........  even with the rain I would be happy if I could make such a trip as yours on a wet day to glimpse those flowers! 8)

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #170 on: November 18, 2008, 07:43:56 PM »
Well you know Maggi us Mediterraneans, we are very happy to have finally some rain but on the other hand our Vitamin D declines very rapidly, as a result we suffer a light depression :-\ ;D
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #171 on: November 18, 2008, 07:47:30 PM »
Autumn crocus are coming to an end - at least here. However, Spring is on its way. One form of C. malyi will be in flower in a few days time & plants of  C. sieberi 'Bowles' White' have their noses above ground.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #172 on: November 18, 2008, 07:54:27 PM »
Oron, this may be just what you need: http://www.tastethedream.com/products/product/1471.php 
 or even these.... http://www.drichfoods.com/catalog_i6872973.html?catId=164602       ;)

Gerry, live for the moment, life's too short to wish it away..... Spring will be here soon enough....I hope!

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #173 on: November 19, 2008, 11:40:22 AM »
Dear Tony,

Sorry for the late reply. I was in a holiday to finish my autumn garden works. Now I have been catching up with forum postings and messages.

Relating crocus speciosus from Armenia. It's true it has a yellow throat and creamy anthers. It is collected in wild from Pambak area in our region. Though it is suggested that it could be a hybrid; I don't think so. I have some hybrids of crocus speciosus with pulchellus and they have bright white anthers, very bright yellow throat and the shape of flower is intermediate between both species. In addition, one of my collegues, to whom I send this crocus, said that it looks very similar to English variety  of crocus speciosus 'Big Boy'.
Zhirair, Tulip collector, bulb enthusiast
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #174 on: November 19, 2008, 11:45:00 AM »
I forgot to ask if somebody grows seedlings from crocus speciosus Albus. I wonder if it produces white seedlings as well.
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Gerry Webster

« Reply #175 on: November 19, 2008, 12:39:02 PM »
Dear Tony,

Sorry for the late reply. I was in a holiday to finish my autumn garden works. Now I have been catching up with forum postings and messages.

Relating crocus speciosus from Armenia. It's true it has a yellow throat and creamy anthers. It is collected in wild from Pambak area in our region. Though it is suggested that it could be a hybrid; I don't think so. I have some hybrids of crocus speciosus with pulchellus and they have bright white anthers, very bright yellow throat and the shape of flower is intermediate between both species. In addition, one of my collegues, to whom I send this crocus, said that it looks very similar to English variety  of crocus speciosus 'Big Boy'.
Zhirair - if the crocus 'Big Boy to which you refer is the cultivar introduced in the UK by Roger Poulett under this name then I believe it is a hybrid - C.speciosus x pulchellus. See: http://www.rhs.org.uk/databases/HortDatabase.asp?ID=71515
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 12:43:48 PM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #176 on: November 19, 2008, 01:26:32 PM »
Gerry,

I know that crocus spec. 'Big Boy' is a hybrid with cr. pulchellus. Mine just resembles it, but don't look the same.
My sample was collected in wild and I must say that crocus pulchellus is not recorded growing in our country. I even should add that in Pambak area there are some variations of crocus speciosus with very pale flowers, and even near white forms, which also have yellowish throat and creamy anthers.
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Jim McKenney

• Butterscotch: munching in Maryland
    • My Virtual Maryland Garden
« Reply #177 on: November 19, 2008, 02:35:24 PM »
November is the busiest time of the year for me in my garden, so busy that I've barely been able to keep up with all of the fascinating posts lately. But this crocus thread is the best and is the one for which I'll make time. What a treat to see so many of these plants in the wild. A big thank you to all who have shared photos from your gardens and travels and to those who have provided guidance and commentary: I'm loving it!
Jim McKenney
Montgomery County, Maryland, USA
My Virtual Maryland Garden
http://www.jimmckenney.com/
Blog! http://mcwort.blogspot.com/

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #178 on: November 19, 2008, 10:12:59 PM »
Well I have a nice batch of 2nd year seedlings from C. speciosus albus, seed that Thomas sent to me. Maybe by next year I can report on their colour- or lack of it. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #179 on: November 20, 2008, 07:46:54 AM »
Lesley,

Very interesting!
Please keep us informed about their colour, when they bloom. I wonder if cr. spec. albus produces white seedlings, when grown from seeds.
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal