We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: ALGARVE - RECOMMENDATIONS REQUESTED PLEASE  (Read 3638 times)

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
ALGARVE - RECOMMENDATIONS REQUESTED PLEASE
« on: November 01, 2008, 12:06:58 PM »
Good afternoon folks,
Could we request assistance with information about the Algarve and potential wildflower areas that could be visited in February?
We hope to visit for the first time in the middle of that month and would appreciate recommendations of favoured resorts, hotels, nature reserves and/or gardens?  We have no preconceptions regarding western, central or eastern Algarve and will probably have a rental car during our stay.
Many thanks in anticipation of your kind assistance.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
Re: ALGARVE - RECOMMENDATIONS REQUESTED PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 02:53:47 PM »
I realise that I am, in effect, answering part of my own question, but I have discovered this superb leaflet (a PDF file) about wildlife, flowers and walking trails, which forms part of a magnificent site promoting tourism in the Algarve.  It may not apply to your particular circumstances at the moment but would be worth remembering if you decide to visit this glorious part of the world in the future. It is quite a large file, so please bear this in mind if you are not on Broadband.

http://www.visitalgarve.pt/NR/rdonlyres/754C4B4D-92AC-4466-9684-A3FE4ADBD6A6/0/en_guiaspedestres.pdf
Cliff Booker

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 12:07:44 PM »
I have only been to Algarve once and did not do any nature walk.
I did visit the bar own by Figo :)
What I can say is that I have seen and bought a book called Plantas do Algarve com intresse ornamental: Algarve´s plants with ornamental interest.
I do not remember the price but somewhere between 5-15€. It is A4 120papes soft cover bilingual eng and port and it has mostly plants that are native. Maybe a good companion when walking.
I saw other books at the book fair in Lisbon that had plants like clivia and agapanthus as the prime plants seen around the hotels in Algarve but do not think that they are anything for You.
The publisher is Edições Afrontamento. ISBN 9789723607154.
Maybe the CCDR or the tourist office have the book. It does not show any sites where to go to see the plants just plants so for a pro like You it might not be much, but to have in the backpack I think it is nice if You find it.Maybe not worth doing to much trouble for.
Hope that the site helped You.
There is an mountain with nice orchids but they might be in bloom that early.
Enjoy
Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 05:54:47 PM »
I did visit the bar own by Figo
The little cocker spaniel who spends some days with us when all her family are busy, is called Figo, after Luis Figo, this famous Portuguese footballer..... the children of the family, the two little boys who chose her name, are very keen football fans!  ::) 8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Casalima

• Not lost in translation
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 08:28:28 PM »
My son chose the name for one of our cats: Gattuso  :D :D
Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 09:44:50 PM »
My son chose the name for one of our cats: Gattuso  :D :D

Has he still got that cute beard? ..... Rene Gattuso, not your son... or the cat...... ::)

We have my sister-in-law's Canary staying with us at present... he/it has no name.... previously I was calling it "Tweety-Bird"... but this time I've decided on something better...... Wharf..... Canary Wharf  :-[ ;D
Although I think of it as "Worf".... the Klingon has a beard..... ::)

Sorry, Cliff, none of this helps with your holiday plans but Chloë may yet come up with something when I've stopped distracting her........... ???
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 09:49:38 PM by Maggi Young »

monte

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 03:04:25 PM »
Good afternoon folks,
Could we request assistance with information about the Algarve and potential wildflower areas that could be visited in February?
We hope to visit for the first time in the middle of that month and would appreciate recommendations of favoured resorts, hotels, nature reserves and/or gardens?  We have no preconceptions regarding western, central or eastern Algarve and will probably have a rental car during our stay.
Many thanks in anticipation of your kind assistance.

I visit the West coast of the Algarve frequently, infact I am booked to visit in mid Feb 2009 myself. The area I frequent is to the west of Lagos. February can be a great season to visit the Algarve, the weather can be a bit hit and miss, rainy days and all that. It is the beginning of the early spring when subject to the previous weeks of climate, rainfall etc, the coastal paths spring into life with many fine species of miniature flora and fauna. I have walked the coast from Praia da Luz west through Burgau, Boca da Ria and on into Salema and just beyond, exhilarating

Different plants dominate different areas, species such as miniature dafffodils just 2 or 3 inches high, miniature iris and lupin, bee orchid to name just a few. Skylarks fly overhead, gulls looking to make their nests. It is a very pretty and rugged coastal region, I am sure you will enjoy your visit there in February.

If you invest in a car also visit the area of Aljezur and its' coastal region of Arifana beach and Odiacere you should be in awe of the region.

Enjoy your visit

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 04:36:50 PM »
Hello, Monte, welcome to the Forum and thank you for your input to this thread.  8)

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 06:59:05 AM »
Welcome Monte and my apologies for only just noticing your very kind response to this query.
Many thanks for this excellent information which will assist us greatly. I will respond at greater length during the day.
Cliff Booker

JohnnyD

• Maxi-minigardenist
  • free at last!
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 10:30:52 AM »
Since Clare & i will be joining the Bookeroos in the Algarve for a while I am delighted hear there will be lots of flowers, birds etc.  - but what about the fishing? ::)
We will almost certainly spend some time on the beach and sunbathing is definitely not for me. 8)
I will take my travel rod and a few floats and lures and try hard to alleviate the boredom while watching Clare fry in the sun. :D
(It is going to be WARM isn't it Cliff? ;D)
John
John Dower, Frodsham, Cheshire.

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 11:42:19 AM »
I am not a fisher man nor into fishing but have seen people fishing from the beaches close to Lisbon into the "ocean".
I also know that the fishing is important in Portugal and is done by net on some of the Atlantic cost beaches Like Nazareth and Figeira de Foz some 100 miles North west of Lisbon.
They often have very small boats when going out. Looks like a mix of a rowboat and a canoe. Maybe there also is the bigger high-powered boats for marlin/swordfish there in Algarve.
Look around and You might find interesting fishing but do not have to high hopes since I did not see any fish from the fishers throwing of the coasts around Lisbon.
When I visited Algarve in August there where people picking "clams" / "mussels" when the tide was changing so there are that type of "fishing" too.

Hope You get better more local information and not only general observations like mine.
A bit away from the coast You will find a very different Portugal much more genuine if that is what one is looking for as well.

Hope You will enjoy Portugal
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

JohnnyD

• Maxi-minigardenist
  • free at last!
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 12:21:42 PM »
Thanks Joachim.
I have to say that the 'fishing' may end up as no more than paddling about in rock pools with a small net!
The beaches around Praia da Rocha look ideal for this so my rod may stay in the case.
On Lanzarote last year the hotel had a small jetty which was a very good spot for little fish. I hope for nothing more. ::)
Cheers,
J.
John Dower, Frodsham, Cheshire.

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 01:45:13 PM »
No trouble Johnny  8)
We were at Villa Mora and there it was just sand beaches so I forgot about the also Rocky coast they also have.
Good luck but bring the rod You never know what they have.  ::)
Joakim

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal