We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Help with Arisaema seeds  (Read 1561 times)

ellen&dan

Help with Arisaema seeds
« on: October 14, 2008, 02:13:13 PM »
Hi there
 We have had lots of Arisaema flowering this year but only a few have set seed. Quite a few have started to set seed and then aborted. Has anyone got tips.
Thanks Dan and Ellen
in Lancashire UK.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Help with Arisaema seeds
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 03:12:38 PM »
Hi, I can only think that the weather has been too changeable to encourage good seed set, or perhaps there were not enough pollinating insects about at the right time.... I know here there has been a shortage of hoverflies and bees at various times this season.... (and as for butterflies, there have been VERY few of those, though they're not exactly Arisaema pollinators !!)..... We seem o have good seed heads around the garden..... LoOKS okay so far, anyhow.  Just hope for a better year in 2009, I guess!  :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 04:44:46 PM »
Hi

I'll second Maggi and go with the lack of pollination. Some that I left to their own devices produced some seed, while the ones I pollinated myself with a fine artist brush all did OK.

Did you have plenty of male plants? I was unable to pollinate some of my Arisaema due to the fact I only had females.

Dave

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 04:53:37 PM »
This link of an earlier discussion may be of interest to you.

http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=1681.0

Dave

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 05:46:25 PM »
We have had selective seed set on our Arisaema this year. Plenty of seed from A. griffithii, an early flowering species, a few A. flavum and jaquemontii and now lots of A. ciliatum and consanguinium ripening on the ground. We grow quite a number of Arisaema but these are the only ones to have set seed this year.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

ellen&dan

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 05:40:58 PM »
Thanks everyone for your help. We have had male and female plants, must just be a bad year for them.
Thanks Dan nad Ellen
in Lancashire UK.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal