We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Ramosmania rodriguesii- the world's rarest wild plant?  (Read 4994 times)

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
Ramosmania rodriguesii- the world's rarest wild plant?
« on: September 28, 2008, 09:45:27 PM »

After more than 6000 miles of travel involving 3 airplanes, a bus journey and then a rain-sodden walk through dense tropical vegetation up a slippery hillside my wife and I  finally stood in front of a nondescript green bush no more than 5 foot high. Could this plant really be Ramosmania rodriguesii supposedly the world’s rarest wild plant? A small wooden sign confirmed the fact.

Though the plant may be uninteresting the tale attached to it is worth telling. Ramosmania rodriguesii is an endemic wild coffee found on the island of Rodrigues, a dependency of Mauritius, in the southern Indian Ocean.  The plant’s common name “Café Marron” is a reference not to its colour but to black slaves who were known as 'Marron' and whose descendents now constitute the majority of the island’s current population. The plant actually produces small, white, fragrant flowers.

The first record of the plant, though then unnamed, is an 1877 drawing produced by a passing European visitor. By the mid 20th century it was presumed that the plant had become extinct having succumbed, as had most of the indigenous flora, to the twin perils of goats and pigs.

In 1979 a local school teacher distributed pictures of extinct plants including the 1877 picture. One of the pupils claimed to know of the existence of the plant. A cutting was obtained and scientists confirmed the plant as being café marron and at their suggestion a fence was installed around the bush for protection. In the early 1980s the plant was subject to a spider-mite infestation. Fortunately it recovered and in 1986 cuttings were sent to Kew Gardens in an attempt to propagate the species and ensure its survival.

Kew's horticulturists were successful and at the end of 2001, took eleven rooted cuttings out by plane to repatriate the species to the islands. A few of the plants survived and are now growing in the Mauritius Wildlife Foundation’s (MWF) species nursery on the island.

In 2004 plants in Kew finally produced viable seed and a dozen seeds were sent to Rodrigues where three have since geminated.

We were fortunate to see the rooted cuttings and young plants and noted that they showed heterophyllus characteristics (i.e. juvenile and lower leaves differed from others on the plant). After speaking to local scientists we understood that many of the indigenous plants are heterophyllus and that this is presumed to be an adaptive feature to overcome predation by the now extinct Rodrigues Giant Tortoise (apparently tortoises have poor eyesight and have difficulty in seeing linear, ensiform or lanceloate leaves and thus plants retain such leaves in their juvenile stages and up to about 4 ft high, the maximum height extension of a tortoise’s neck).

6000 miles seems a long way to travel to see just one plant but in truth we saw many other species (including pandanas, dombeyas) as well as indigenous fauna including the endemic Rodrigues warbler, the Rodrigues fody (a yellow sparrow-like bird) and the world famous Rodrigues flying fox.

The pictures:

1. Map  showing location of the island relative to the other Mascarene islands.
2&3. The mountain vegetation.
4. The sign in the wood confirming the presence of the wild specimen.
5. The plant's flowers.
6. A succesful seedling.
7. Richard, manager of the Mauritius Wildlife Foundation
8. Rock-climbing tortoise (yes, they do tackle inclines). Tortoise's ahve been re-introduced and with protection are increasing rapidly. currently they are restricted to a large area in the south of the island but there are plans for releases into selected, fenced areas. Wildlife officals are fearful that the animals may prove too tempting to locals wishing to supplement their predominantly fish-based diet.
9. More of the plant's delicate, white flowers.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 10:01:27 AM by FrazerHenderson »
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Ramosmania rodriguesii- the world's rarest wild plant?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 10:15:52 PM »
Frazer thanks for the botanical lesson
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 10:21:41 PM »
Hi Frazer,
I endorse the comment from Mark and add "never stop learning".
There is still so much unknown...Thank you.
Best wishes
Armin

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 11:14:21 PM »
As if I would need a reason to fly to Rodrigues, I now know another one. Where were you flying from that required so many aeroplane trips Frazer?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 01:00:41 PM »
Fascinating !!!
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 04:38:09 PM »
As if I would need a reason to fly to Rodrigues, I now know another one. Where were you flying from that required so many aeroplane trips Frazer?

Actually probably more than 3 flights since I flew from Yemen to meet my wife before then flying from Glasgow to Dubai thence to Mauritius and then Rodrigues.

Accomodation on the island varies from 4 star (3 luxury hotels) to family-run auberges. I can recomend Auberge Les Filaos (www.filaosetravenal-rodrigues.com) (+230 831 1644/0896 email filaos@intnet.mu, the owner/manager Stella speaks English, French and creole and is incredibly helpful, the rates are very reasonable and her friend's pick-up can be hired cheaply to explore the island without having to rely on the buses. I'll place more shots of the island soon.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 09:58:55 AM by FrazerHenderson »
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 06:47:42 PM »
What a pity the Rodrigues giant day gecko (Phelsuma gigas), at 40 cm, the largest ever day gecko is extinct due to the introduction of cats and rats. :(

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 10:06:25 AM »
More genral information on Rodrgiues canbe obtained from

Office du Tourisme
Commission du tourism
Rue de la Solidarite
Port Mathurin
Rodrigues
Tel: +230 832 0866/0877
Fax: +230 832 0174
email: ot-rodrigues@intnet.mu 
email: info.rodrigues@intnet.mu
web: www.tourism-rodrigues.mu

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 11:15:23 AM »
What a fascinating island. Nice wee website Frazer.

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 07:31:23 PM »
Anthony

It is an island of charm - the people are extraordinary (an oft-used term, but in this case accurate and exempt from any hyperbole).

1. I noticed your earlier mention of a gecko. Here's a shot of one, of a tiny species, that was hiding under a stone, which I had inadvertantly removed (and subsequently, as a good naturalist, replaced).

2. A picture commemorating the Solitaire (Rodrigues' flightless bird, extinct now for some 25O years)

3. I couldn't resist posting a picture of the island's petrol station and only tanker!

4. And finally just to show what airtravel should be like; the departure lounge at the airport. The people of Rodrigues may not have much compared to our Western standards, but class they have in abundance!

« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 07:34:13 PM by FrazerHenderson »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal