We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowers and Foliage August 2008  (Read 49927 times)

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
Re: Flowers and Foliage August 2008
« Reply #120 on: August 14, 2008, 10:01:13 PM »
They should grow well for you David, and are a lot hardier than most people think.  The bicolours seed themselves round the garden - with a bit of help from the birds no doubt ;)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #121 on: August 15, 2008, 11:09:21 AM »
Brian,

I wasn't going to give up on it.... it is just that my plant that I have now had for maybe 4 or 5 years doesn't have a rosette.... it has one, count it, ONE leaf each year of about an inch long.  That's it, never bigger.  I'm going to repot it soon if I think of it when I'm repotting, and put it into a sandier mix with some extra food and see what it does.  It'll either make it or kill it I think, but at the rate it is going now I'll be dead before it does anything, and I'm only 39.  :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #122 on: August 15, 2008, 11:29:44 AM »
Brian,

I've been trying to satisfy a hunch by checking the internet, but the results have been inconclusive.  My recollection of what E. schjiffii (I originally received it under this name, with the j in it) was supposed to look like was pinky flowers and darker foliage.  I was very surprised to see your plant looking so much like bicolor.  Unfortunately on google I can find pics that look similar to yours and some that show the pink flowers and purplish leaves, so I am no closer to working out what schiffii (also on google both spellings appeared, i.e schiffii and shjiffii) is actually supposed to look like.  I have had it in mind for years as having dark leaves (while googling I found a discussion I took part in back in 2001, which was sort of amusing and a little creepy... seeing a discussion from 7 years ago), and definitely having pink flowers.... one of the pics I found matched that while others look more like yours.  Is there any Eucomis expert out there who can confirm whether schiffii/schjiffii is that variable?  That's pretty widely differing, so I am wondering whether some are going around out there under incorrect names?  I got my little bulb years ago as something unusual, and the person I got it from I would doubt would have told me that if it looked that close to bicolor, so I am more than a little confused?  Can anyone clarify what it should definitely look like and how it is correctly spelled?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #123 on: August 15, 2008, 11:50:01 AM »
Paul, I too had thought it would have darker leaves.  I think it's a bit like snowdrops etc (had to get that one in for Maggi ;D ) in that they really probably need to be vegatively propagated.  There are, as you say, some much nicer ones around and some disappointing ones too.  I was expecting the scape to be much shorter, but we have had heavy rain recently which may account for it's elongation.  I will look for seeds and start some more off, watch this space in another 7 years!
Just found this Eucomis schijffii from
B and T World Seeds' reference number: 432808
USDA average, annual, minimum temperature Zone:10
Type of plant - Perennial
Flower: dark dull RED or PURPLE
Foliage: 3-4 prostrate lvs,PURPLISH under
Height, in meters: 0.1 X

Not available at the moment but much more like your thoughts.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 11:54:07 AM by Brian Ellis »

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #124 on: August 16, 2008, 10:29:56 PM »
Paul, I've just been told that there is only one person in England growing the true Schijffii and that is Cecilia Coller.  Apparently she only gets about three seeds a year and there is a waiting list for them.  The one I had been sold is not the real thing :'(

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #125 on: August 17, 2008, 12:06:21 AM »
Brian,

Sorry to have been the one to start you finding out it wasn't correctly named.  I do apologise.  :'(

Did you get a proper description of the species?  So that we know what the actual true species is supposed to look like?  Maybe I can take the description out to my tiny plant and tell it to get it's act together.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #126 on: August 17, 2008, 08:31:05 AM »
No need for apologies Paul, I am pleased to have found out, I think it will have to be a Eucomis not schijffii!  And now the search starts for the real thing.  I have put it on the wants list at B & T World seeds, and will try writing to Cecilia, unless I see her at the Bulb Sale.  This was the nearest I could find

http://www.aluka.org/action/showCompilationPage?doi=10.5555/AL.AP.COMPILATION.PLANT-NAME-SPECIES.EUCOMIS.SCHIJFFII&tab=species.info

Unfortunately cannot get full access to the site :-\
Richard did say last evening that it was only 10cms high so a 'dear little thing'.  I suspect you may well have the real thing...can I ask where your source was?

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2008, 08:45:04 AM »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #128 on: August 17, 2008, 04:09:43 PM »
Oh, yes, there is often a clue, eh? Some very useful stuff on the archived forum, isn't there?

Might be a good idea for newcomers to bookmark this link for future use....... ::)

http://www.srgc.org.uk/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi
Following the first link you give, Brian, I see that the type specimen cited there was collected by Burtt and Hilliard, of Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh, so presumably the herbarium there has material/details, also?

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #129 on: August 17, 2008, 04:25:33 PM »
There is indeed Maggi, I am kicking myself for not having tapped this knowledgebase before.

Still I am happy with my dark stemmed E.bicolour x ? but I would have been will be happier with E.Schijffi (when I find it) :-\

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #130 on: August 17, 2008, 04:33:08 PM »
I agree, Brian, your plant is very nice.... it would just be even nicer to lay hands on the real thing, which indeed is  a real little cutie.... wouldn't you know those guys in Gothenberg would be growing it?? What an amazing place that is! one day I WILL visit!

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #131 on: August 17, 2008, 04:49:30 PM »
I started this thread with pictures of my Hibiscus.  The following are the same plants one week on - too busy to post earlier.  Subsequent rain has meant that the display is now nearly over.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #132 on: August 17, 2008, 05:00:38 PM »

Ooh, Arthur, what a show they are...... such a shame about the rain....in a really good year for the hibiscus, how long would you expect the display to last?

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #133 on: August 17, 2008, 05:13:51 PM »

Ooh, Arthur, what a show they are...... such a shame about the rain....in a really good year for the hibiscus, how long would you expect the display to last?

Difficult to remember, but I believe they have generally opened more slowly and the whole display has lasted weeks.

I will probably remove approx 40% of structure next Spring and then be amazed to see them recover to this size again.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 05:35:08 PM by Maggi Young »
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #134 on: August 17, 2008, 05:38:29 PM »
I thought that might be the case, Arthur.... the family Malvaceae are quite obliging in that habit aren't they....also in their capacity to be cut well back and regrow ...very handy.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal