We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Paeonia 2022  (Read 14299 times)

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
Re: Paeonia 2022
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2022, 12:20:03 AM »

Thank you Gabriela.
I have some extra white veitchii seeds in moist vermiculite.. ;)

So very tempting Leena  :)
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

koen

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2022, 10:16:05 AM »
You have many fine looking species plants, congratulations. I especially like these hybrids, they are very pretty looking plants! Both the parents are poor growers here, so I'm quite jealous of your large plants ;-) I do hope you'll get second generation plants from this with increased fertility.

I bought my first P.obovata ssp willmottiae 15 years ago from Germany, and it flowered well, but didn't produce seeds, until one year I had P.anomala flowering close by at the same time (or actually the flowering time overlapped some, as P.anomala started to flower earlier). That year I got seeds from which I have grown these plants which I think are hybrids of P.obovata ssp willmottiae and P.anomala. They are big plants with very big flowers starting pink but flowers fade during flowering to very pale pink. The stamens are dark like in the mother plant. They seem sterile. First year when they flowered the seed pods were all empty. Last year I got 3 seeds but none have germinated yet. This year I got one good looking seed. Maybe if any of these germinate the second generation would be more fertile.

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2022, 11:39:28 AM »
Leena, you have a great collection of Paeonia! They grow very well in your garden. Thanks for showing.
Belgium

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2022, 04:38:47 PM »
Thanks Herman.  :) I only show the best ones.  :)
Last winter was bad, I lost several peonies, too, but it is good that I have found the ones which like it here.

You have many fine looking species plants, congratulations. I especially like these hybrids, they are very pretty looking plants! Both the parents are poor growers here, so I'm quite jealous of your large plants ;-) I do hope you'll get second generation plants from this with increased fertility.

Thank you.  :) Second generation could be more fertile. I hope the two seeds from last year germinate next spring. I usually germinate peonies first in ziplog bags and then after they have made the root, I pot them up and put in cold and after that they grow the first leaf. When these two seeds didn't grow root last winter inside (and were still hard and looking good - sometimes not good seeds just rot), I put them outside where they get natural fluctuations of temperatures.  I will see next spring if anything happens. :)

It is interesting to hear that those peonies don't do well over there, but maybe at least P.anomala needs cooler summers than you have.
Leena from south of Finland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal