We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Meconopsis 2021  (Read 2048 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Meconopsis 2021
« on: March 28, 2021, 06:56:18 PM »
Photos from Jim Jermyn at Branklyn Garden, Perth ....

"Contrasting foliage of species Meconopsis!!

M. baileyi var. pratensis with purple pigmentation while M. Integrifolia ssp. integrifolia shows a marked difference to its close cousin sulphurea. Finally M. dhwojii has distinct bristles and we impatiently await flowers."

M. baileyi var. pratensis

M. integrifolia ssp. integrifolia

M. dhwojii
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Roma

Re: Meconopsis 2021
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 11:33:24 AM »
Meconopsis x sheldonii 'Cruickshank'.  I know it should be 'infertile blue group' and Evelyn Stevens determined it was the same as 'Bobby Masterton' but as it came directly from the Cruickshank Botanic Garden I prefer to keep the original name.

690876-0
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 06:09:27 PM »
I find these lovely plants a bit difficult here in East Lothian; frequently too dry (except last month) and windy. Really pleased to see Meconopsis delavayi flowering the other day. From club seed sown Jan 2017, showed no sign of flowering in a pot, so released it in the garden. First time I've had seed of this.
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

Roma

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 09:21:21 PM »
Meconopsis baileyi 'Glacier Blue'.  A self sown seedling from plants from SRGC seed.  I have lost a few Mecs in the last 2 or 3 years with the drier than usual springs and relentless wind we've been having this last few years so it was good to see this one doing well.

This was a surprise.  It's a few years since I last had flowering Meconopsis prattii or rudis flowering here.  Possibly hybrids as the 2 forms came from one batch of seed.  I was trying to select pale blue and white but the last survivors flowered very late and did not set seed and the last one I remember flowering was a muddy blue.  There was a perennial form but it never flowered.
Meconopsis rudis?

Tristan_He

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 09:28:50 PM »
Roma you didn't by any chance grow any seed from the Mec group called Mec sp. Min Shan did you? I had these and they turned out rather like your photo, a mix of prattii / rudis type forms with a good blue colour (certainly better than the rather muddy plants I have had under these names before).

691917-0

691923-3

Roma

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 09:58:45 PM »
Tristan, the original seed came from the Cruickshank Botanic Garden a number of years ago, possibly labelled horridula.  I had seen them growing in the garden and noticed one or two whites so was keen to grow them.  I got a mixture of colours including white and a lovely pale blue.  I collected seed ( I think from a pale blue) and sowed it.  When the resulting seedlings were planted out they flowered late in the year instead of waiting till next year so did not set seed.  I will have a hunt for photos.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 01:58:47 PM »
Lovely blue Meconopsis, Roma and Tristan. :)
Mine started to flower about three weeks ago and they are still doing well, in spite of couple of over +30C days.
The first to open has always been this possibly sheldonii (lost label), and what I like about it is that it has now every time had 5-6 petals in the first flowers.
Then later flowers are usual 4 petals.
The second picture was taken last week end, as also the third with M.bailey flowering well right now.
All these are from seed ex. :)
Meconopsis are my favourite plants for shade in June!
Leena from south of Finland

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2021, 08:25:30 AM »
Meconopsis sheldonii seedpods are almost like a second flowering when pictured in backlight:).
Leena from south of Finland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal