We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Papaver orientale cultivars  (Read 5236 times)

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
Papaver orientale cultivars
« on: May 29, 2008, 05:11:36 PM »
Hi all ,

here are some pics of flowering Papaver orientale cultivars from our garden in this time .

But I have to confess : thats not my collection ! .....
...I have only the permission from my better half to make pics .....

The most of this plants are bougth from the nursery of Graefin von Zeppelin ( which is famous for his Papaver breedings )

P. orientale 'Halima'
P. orientale 'Black & White' ( from a english nursery )
P. orientale 'Helen von Stein' ( this was the founder of this nursery )
P. orientale 'Marlene'
P. orientale 'Tuerkenlouis'
P. orientale 'Patty's Plum'
P. orientale 'Beauty of Livermere' ( I believe this is a english breeding)

"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
Re: Papaver orientale cultivars
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 06:22:10 PM »
Nice ones Hans
Congratulate Your better half. :)
They do have some similarities in the flower with peonies do they not. Both strong colours and nice big flowers.

Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 07:27:04 PM »
I see that you allow your better-half a little space in the garden Hans! ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 08:00:52 PM »
David ,

yes I'm really generous ::)
the advantage of Papaver orientale is it is for a long time a small plant - only before flowering it need room ....

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 09:46:27 PM »
Lovely flowers Hans. I'm especially thrilled to see 'Patty's Plum' which I've wanted ever since seeing it at Hadspen House years ago. I have a small plant now but not flowered yet. Maybe this next summer.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 10:11:16 PM »
Great to have you back enjoying the flowers in the Forum, Lesley! :-*

For myself, I think it is very kind of Frau Joschko to allow Hans the space for his  peonies! ;)
There is a great similarity in the blooms which must make a lovely combination with the two flowers in the garden. With so many of the alpine plants we grow having such tiny plants and flowers it is somehow so exciting to have these big, showgirl blossoms to lead us into summer.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 07:48:30 AM »
Lesley : Yes P. 'Patty's Plum' is nice ....but a bit difficould with combination with other plants ...

Maggi : Psssst ......you must not tell all secrets  ;)

Here is a link to this nursery :
http://www.graefin-v-zeppelin.com/

but here is a warning : it is really danger do visit this nursery when all the Papavers ,Peonies ,Iris .....and more are flowering  :o

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 01:34:31 PM »
Hans,

What sort of conditions do your Papaver orientale get in your garden.  I struggle with them here, but I think it is due to being too dry.  I see large plants flowering in older gardens around Canberra, but I struggle to get mine to any size and they tend to dwindle away.  I have a couple that are still struggling on.  I am thinking that perhaps here I am just not able to keep the water up to them sufficiently the first couple of years to get them established.  Once they're large they need no care at all, but I never can get them to that stage.  ::)

I hope you don't mind me asking, but I thought this was the ideal place to start a discussion on growing conditions they need.  I adore them in flower, and am mortified each time one dies.  I no longer buy them because I am aware it is likely to be a death sentence!  :'(
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 02:16:40 PM »
Breeders need to create a poppy that will hold it's flowers for a long time
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 04:52:07 PM »
Hans,

What sort of conditions do your Papaver orientale get in your garden.  I struggle with them here, but I think it is due to being too dry.  I see large plants flowering in older gardens around Canberra, but I struggle to get mine to any size and they tend to dwindle away.  I have a couple that are still struggling on.  I am thinking that perhaps here I am just not able to keep the water up to them sufficiently the first couple of years to get them established.  Once they're large they need no care at all, but I never can get them to that stage.  ::)

I hope you don't mind me asking, but I thought this was the ideal place to start a discussion on growing conditions they need.  I adore them in flower, and am mortified each time one dies.  I no longer buy them because I am aware it is likely to be a death sentence!  :'(

Hi Paul ,

They are easy in my garden -I grow it in sunny place between my peonies and iris -my soil is calcy and I have never watered . Please realize this plants comes from hot and dry areas -so this should be not a problem ....
I water this plants always only after planting -thats all . In some weeks the leaves will get down and later they emerge again ....
Like my peonies I give them a good drainage.

Maybe are not all breedings well -you should test old established ....

Sorry -but I have not a really good idea what could be your problem..

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 10:34:01 PM »
Hans,

Thanks.  I was afraid you were going to say something like that.  Drainage isn't a problem in the garden's I've had them, although I had wondered at times whether there was too much drainage there.  I thought that they came from a dry area but wondered whether they had a lot of rain while in growth, but dry while dormant?  I've probably had a dozen named varieties over the years but only have about 3 left, if they come up again this year of course.

Thanks again.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 01:15:15 AM »
I visited a friend's garden today and she was not too happy with the colour of Patty's Plum.  I rather like it and told her she just needs to combine it with the right colours.  Hans touched on this predicament several postings ago. So she asked me "with what".  I was stumped but suggested nice lime or mint green flowers recalling G S Thomas' suggestions on combining magenta rhododendrons with green flowers. "So what would that be?" she asked. She had me.  Any suggestions out there or of other colour combinations?

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 06:10:00 AM »
There are plenty lime or sea-green euphorbias to fill the bill, the annual E. lathyris among them, or myrsinites at PP's base, or stricta or a dozen others, including the purply foliaged E. dulcis 'Chameleon' and a new NZ hybrid called 'Tui' if you can get it. It's a hybrid or selection of E.amygdalloides 'Rubra' and has very dark plummy red/black foliage. PP also looks great with the red/pewter leaved heucheras and globe artichokes with good grey leaves. I have the red-leaved grass Imperata cylindrica near my PP. Likewise, bold., blue-leaved hostas. I think several plants of similar colouring enhance each other and reinforce the colour, also helping to prevent a spotty look. I love the "grubby" colour of PP.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 06:13:51 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal