We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Plant identification please  (Read 7338 times)

Lampwick

• Kai ~ My Welsh Springer Spaniel.
    • Portraits of Alpine Plants
Plant identification please
« on: May 09, 2008, 12:59:34 PM »
Hello, I'm new!
Here are a few pictures of plants in the garden at the moment......but I have lost the label to the last one; could someone please put a name to it?

Thanks folks  ;D

...Trillium grandiflorum, but something has chewed the petals.  :(

...Erysimum 'Orange Flame'

...Asperula suberosa

.....QUESTION??...what is this plant please?  ???

....a close-up of the flowers
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 01:29:27 PM by Maggi Young »
~~Lampwick~~
Staffordshire, United Kingdom. (name: John R. Husbands)

http://portraitsofalpineplants.com/

“Why don’t they have proper names?” ~ My brother-in-law.

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
Re: Plant identifacation please
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 01:09:01 PM »
Lovely healthy looking plants. The last pic is Asperula sintenisii, a huge healthy floriferous plant.
Susan
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Plant identification please
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 01:31:17 PM »
hello and welcome Lampwick!
Your mystery plant is a Tiarella, but I'm not sure which species :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 01:34:09 PM »
Tiarella wherryi?
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 01:39:41 PM »
Not quite T.  wherryi, Martin, I don't think.... I know there are a lot of Tiarella hybrids on the market these days, named varieties, it looks more like one of those .... perhaps a wherryi x cordifolia hybrid?

Lampwick

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 03:10:28 PM »
Thanks Maggi and Martin,
Yes, I thought it might be a Tiarella; but I can’t put a specific name to it with certainty.

Susan,
I grow both A. suberosa and A. sintenisii and there is a distinct difference. The foliage of A. sintenisii is much smaller and darker, and lacks the fine downy hairs that A. suberosa has.

…Asperula suberosa This is an absolute gem from the mountains of northern Greece. I bought this in 1971, and it has been with me ever since, (not the original plant I hasten to add, but from cutting and divisions over the years).

… Asperula sintenisii. This was introduced from Mt. Ida in Turkey in the early 1970s as Asperula nitida puberula. Here it is seen at home growing in a trough where it has formed a tight dome in a hole in tufa. Older plants will often have patches of dead, brittle, dry foliage that may eventually spread to most of the plant. This is my prompt to take a few cuttings and start again with a new plant in a new location.

Molly the witch  :-X

…Paeonia mlokosewitschii. This is an absolute beauty which I have had for very many years; it comes from the Caucasus – a mountain range following the boundary between Georgia and Russia, between the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea. A herbaceous perennial, which in the spring bears these glorious, large, single, lemon-yellow flowers up to 5 ins. across with numerous golden stamens and purple stigmas. Then, in the autumn you get extraordinary seed capsules which look like mediaeval court jesters' hats. It's a wonderful plant that grows to about 3 feet and once established flowers year after year without fail.
~~Lampwick~~

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 03:29:22 PM »
Hello Lampwick,
I would go for Tiarella Oakleaf.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 03:30:47 PM »
"Lampwick", where do you live, your plants are more advanced than those here in Aberdeen   ???

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 03:39:21 PM »
Asperula suberosa was one of the first alpines I ever grew as a teenager in the late 1960s. Had it in a trough for years then lost it one wet winter. It's always been an absolute favourite of mine but I've never managed to get it again. In recent years I got a plant by mail order but the small plant arrived mashed to death and quickly died. Didn't want to try that again and waste another of the delicate little things in the post. And now the only nursery that stocked it (that I know of) has closed. Pity.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Lampwick

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 03:56:07 PM »
"Lampwick", where do you live, your plants are more advanced than those here in Aberdeen   ???

I live in Staffordshire in the West Midlands Maggi.
All the pictures I have posted so far, (with the exception of A. sintenisii) have been taken within the last few days.
I took this next one, (R. unalaschkensis) three days ago growing at the feet of Rhododendron ‘Oban’.  The Rhodo is now past its best.

Romanzoffia unalaschkensis.

…Romanzoffia unalaschkensis. This is a charming little plant from the West Coast of North America and the Aleutian Islands. It has glossy green, kidney-shaped leaves with scalloped edges. And these arise from small fleshy white tubers that sit just above the soil level. The flowers are creamy white, five-petalled cups, which appear in tiny clusters in late spring. It will seed itself about amongst the smaller ericaceous plants in the peat bed and even the smallest seedling will boast one or two flowers. Does anyone else here grow this?
~~Lampwick~~

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 04:14:40 PM »
How come everyone else saw the pics in a different order? Did you change them around or am I going mad?
Susan

Susan's website:

Lampwick

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 04:29:49 PM »
Asperula suberosa was one of the first alpines I ever grew as a teenager in the late 1960s. Had it in a trough for years then lost it one wet winter. It's always been an absolute favourite of mine but I've never managed to get it again. In recent years I got a plant by mail order but the small plant arrived mashed to death and quickly died. Didn't want to try that again and waste another of the delicate little things in the post. And now the only nursery that stocked it (that I know of) has closed. Pity.

Ahh!....Those salad days eh Martin?
Like you, A. suberosa was one of the first ‘choice’ alpines I ever bought; along with…..

…..Calceolaria tenella

I received them (and others) in a mail-order parcel in 1971 from C. G. Hollett, Greenbank Nursery, Sedbergh, Cumbria. Alas, the nursery closed down a few years later, but at one time offered the widest range of alpines and related plants to be found in any one nursery anywhere in the world. Nearly a quarter of a million plants were raised annually!

A few years later I saw A. suberosa growing in the open garden at the Dower House of Boughton House in Northamptonshire; the home of the late Valerie Finnis, the renowned plantswoman and flower photographer. It was growing on a raised wall in the enclosed courtyard. My mouth just dropped open in wonderment! I just knew at that moment that I would do my utmost to always have it in my garden. I have achieved this for 37 years to date!  8)
~~Lampwick~~

Lampwick

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 04:37:41 PM »
How come everyone else saw the pics in a different order? Did you change them around or am I going mad?
Susan

Hi Susan,
My profound apologies! I did indeed post the pictures in the wrong order to start with, and then had to edited them……..so no, you aren’t going mad……not just yet!  ::)

8)

~~Lampwick~~

Lampwick

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 06:10:42 PM »
Hello Lampwick,
I would go for Tiarella Oakleaf.

'Oakleaf' seems to ring a bell deep in the bowels of my memory Lvandelft; and it looks like the examples shown in a Google search. Thanks!  ;D
~~Lampwick~~

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 06:27:45 PM »
Talking about plants you used to grow. Is anyone still growing viola zoysii? You don't see it around much yet is a lovely little yellow viola that creeps around.
Susan

Susan's website:

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal