We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Compost for bulbs  (Read 3606 times)

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Compost for bulbs
« on: August 14, 2018, 08:17:35 PM »
It has just been brought to my attention that the growing instructions on my website http://www.dryad-home.co.uk/pages/growing%20info.html are out of date. I've now updated it, but here is the relevant part:
The compost I use is usually a mixture of two parts John Innes No2 (Singleton's is unsurpassed if you can get it), two parts perlite, one part leaf mould. A slow-release general fertiliser is applied at the recommended rate before the pile is thoroughly mixed.
The layer of very coarse sand around the bulbs is important. I’ve also been trickling fungicide over the sand layer before topping up with compost using the belt-and-braces approach.
Do NOT use vermiculite – I find it stays too wet, and does not aerate the mix as perlite does. The problem with perlite is that when you tip the used compost onto the garden, it looks like an explosion in a polystyrene factory.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
Re: Compost for bulbs
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 01:33:00 PM »
Anne,
Thank you very much for these most useful instructions - would you please let me know
which fungicide do you apply and sorry - what is the 'belt-and-braces approach'?

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 04:20:45 PM »
The compost I use is usually a mixture of two parts John Innes No2 (Singleton's is unsurpassed if you can get it),

Just received a pallet load! No grit in your mixture then?
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 06:06:38 PM »
It may be worth a reminder of a previous discussion about Keith Singleton John Innes compost here: http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=3532.0
I would think for the kind of bulbs you mainly grow Anne that it would be very suitable. But we found that its very high organic content led to rotting of bulbs such as the Rhinopetalum group of Fritillarias i.e. those kinds of bulbs that are especially sensitive to moisture levels and need perfect drainage in a compost that doesn't hold too much water. We gave up using it for most bulbs - with a few exceptions such as the more moisture-loving Fritillaria camschatcensis which did very well in it.

Paul
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

John85

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 09:28:05 AM »
Anne,
Perlite is not available in my area.Only vermiculite.
What about replacing it by grit?Have you ever tried it,how much, and what was the result?

Harald-Alex.

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 09:54:58 AM »
It has just been brought to my attention that the growing instructions on my website http://www.dryad-home.co.uk/pages/growing%20info.html are out of date. I've now updated it, but here is the relevant part:
The compost I use is usually a mixture of two parts John Innes No2 (Singleton's is unsurpassed if you can get it), two parts perlite, one part leaf mould. A slow-release general fertiliser is applied at the recommended rate before the pile is thoroughly mixed.
The layer of very coarse sand around the bulbs is important. I’ve also been trickling fungicide over the sand layer before topping up with compost using the belt-and-braces approach.
Do NOT use vermiculite – I find it stays too wet, and does not aerate the mix as perlite does. The problem with perlite is that when you tip the used compost onto the garden, it looks like an explosion in a polystyrene factory.
Thank You, Anne, for Your tipps to improve soil for Galanthus, especially the differences of Perlite and Vermiculite! I use since several years the organic soil-improver: Leonardit from the Roesl-Compost-Companie Regensburg. This is a black material fron a special young brown coal, which improves the capacity of waterholding and nutrients in soils and activates the activity of soil-fauna. I use ca 2 kg/m2 in open grounds or  5 % in soils for pots. The results are good, as You can see in the added foto from bulbs of my G. elwesii seedlings, middle and right in comparision to common G. nivalis. Greetings from Germany Harald
"Im Innersten... pulst das Bedürfnis nach Mitfreude anderer" Karl Foerster 1969

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 11:26:03 AM »
It may be worth a reminder of a previous discussion about Keith Singleton John Innes compost here: http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=3532.0
I would think for the kind of bulbs you mainly grow Anne that it would be very suitable. But we found that its very high organic content led to rotting of bulbs such as the Rhinopetalum group of Fritillarias i.e. those kinds of bulbs that are especially sensitive to moisture levels and need perfect drainage in a compost that doesn't hold too much water. We gave up using it for most bulbs - with a few exceptions such as the more moisture-loving Fritillaria camschatcensis which did very well in it.

Paul
Interesting to note that. I put in extra perlite for some things that need extra drainage. It is worth noting that most of my bulbs are either in clay pots or baskets plunged in sand which will wick away any extra moisture.
I used to use grit a long time ago but could not find a source of suitable grit locally, also it was very heavy for me to move about. Many growers use it very successfully.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 11:27:18 AM »
Anne,
Thank you very much for these most useful instructions - would you please let me know
which fungicide do you apply and sorry - what is the 'belt-and-braces approach'?

Gerd
Haha! 'Belt and braces' - a Yorkshire saying. If you have a belt and also braces (two ways to keep your trousers up) then you have a backup in case one fails.
The fungicide I use is Fungus Clear Ultra
Regards,
Anne

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 11:28:56 AM »
Harald-Alex - your soil improver looks to have very impressive results.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Harald-Alex.

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 01:16:01 PM »
Hallo Anne, if I get an adress, I´ll send You a probe of Leonardit, that You can test it!
Greetings from Germany - Harald

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 10:08:48 AM »
Interesting to note that. I put in extra perlite for some things that need extra drainage. It is worth noting that most of my bulbs are either in clay pots or baskets plunged in sand which will wick away any extra moisture.
I used to use grit a long time ago but could not find a source of suitable grit locally, also it was very heavy for me to move about. Many growers use it very successfully.
Haha! 'Belt and braces' - a Yorkshire saying. If you have a belt and also braces (two ways to keep your trousers up) then you have a backup in case one fails.
The fungicide I use is Fungus Clear Ultra
Regards,
Anne

Thank you Anne! The saying is quite understandable - my translator puzzled me.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Harald-Alex.

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 06:58:59 AM »
Hallo Anne, I´ll send You a probe of the soil-improver "Leonardit" (plus certificat), that You can test it. Leonardit is a special active coal product, younger than brown coal with a high capacity for holding nutrients and water and contains many humin-materials. I use it since several years for snowdrops, but also for planting shrubs and trees very sucessful. Have a good sunday
Harald

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2018, 08:46:21 PM »
Thank you - Harald-Alex! I cannot find a source for it in the UK though.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

ArnoldT

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 03:19:01 AM »
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 01:35:42 PM »
Thanks, Arnold - it looks interesting.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal