We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Dicentra peregrina  (Read 3252 times)

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
Dicentra peregrina
« on: August 05, 2018, 12:49:27 PM »
Hi Steve Garvie

Last week I got a young plant from Dicentra peregrina. In my research on this filigree beauty, I came across your article from 2016 .

If you have any further information ( watering, light etc.) I would be very grateful. I would like to establish this plant in the Alpinum in the light shade. After the catastrophic heat.

Is your copy still alive?

Many thanks and best regards
Thomas

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
Re: Dicentra peregrina
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 10:23:00 PM »
Hi Thomas,

My Dicentra parent plant and young plants all cooked in the alpine house this Summer (I was only away from home for a few days but that was enough!) so I don’t think I am qualified to give you advice.  ;)

Dicentra peregrina grows well in a very mineral mix of 50% pumice: 20% gritty silica sand: 20% perlite: 10% sphagnum peat but it needs plenty of water whilst in growth -especially in this mix. In hot, dry weather it is safer outside as it will cook under glass. During dormancy it is very prone to rot if the soil mix is not well-drained or contains too much organics. 

The next time I plan to try this plant outside in a crevice bed with winter cover.
Good luck!
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Leucogenes

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 10:37:01 PM »
Hi Steve

Thank you for the quick advice. I'll mix the substrate according to your instructions.

Do you understand rest time as the winter phase?

I think you're qualified to give some advice. 👍

Thank you again
Thomas

Steve Garvie

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 11:44:03 PM »
Yes, the rest phase is the Winter dormancy.
D. peregrina foliage starts to die back in October at which time it needs to be kept cool and dry. If kept too humid at this stage there is a risk that Botrytis will infect the dying foliage and spread down into the rootstock, the plant will not then regrow in the Spring.

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Leucogenes

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 06:17:41 AM »
Hi Steve

Thanks again for the professional and helpful information. I will plant this treasure in autumn and cover it in winter. My seedling is not a breed. It's wild seed from Japan.

I find the foliage particularly attractive. Maybe I can show a photo in the future...But I lack the extraordinary talent of photography...which you can admire in all your photos.
My compliment.

Cheers
Thomas

Leucogenes

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 01:14:14 PM »
Hi Steve

Since I am still free this week and the temperatures will be a bit more bearable for the next time, I take this opportunity.

I just mixed the substrate to your specifications. I am totally enthusiastic about the consistency and permeability. I have planted the Dicentra peregrina in a place in the rock garden, where direct sun is only in the early afternoon. Since I am only at home on weekends a daily watering is not possible.

Thanks again for the recipe...I'm going to plant some more dryness loving Alpine. I think I have finally found the right mixing ratio.  ;D

Thank you
Thomas

Leucogenes

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 11:18:18 AM »
Hello Steve...

short update about Dicentra peregrina.  Unfortunately my only young plant did not show up again...  very sad.

In the appendix a beautiful specimen that I was allowed to admire in the last week with a botanical friend.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 01:39:31 PM »
Another  tip about  Dicentra  peregrina - if you  have the  luck to grow it  to flower - watch the  flower very carefully- the  seed ripens  VERY quickly and should be  sown right away. 
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Steve Garvie

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 02:06:24 PM »
Hello Steve...

short update about Dicentra peregrina.  Unfortunately my only young plant did not show up again...  very sad.

In the appendix a beautiful specimen that I was allowed to admire in the last week with a botanical friend.

Sorry to hear that Thomas.

Crown rot is the problem over winter. Whilst the roots don’t seem to mind some organics in the compost, any wet organic material near the crown seems to produce rot.
Try growing it in sieved pumice (3-7mm) with plenty of water when in growth but almost dry when dormant.

I have two young plants which got through the winter OK (in a greenhouse), one now has a single flower. Hopefully I can get seed next year. If so I will try it in a crevice bed.

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Leucogenes

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 06:49:47 PM »
Hi Maggi
Many thanks for the helpful tip. Should I succeed in cultivating a plant in the next hundred years that even produces flowers and seeds, I will be very careful.

Hi Steve
I would also like to thank you. I haven't watered the plant since September. A permanent glass cover was installed...the loss is a bit of a pity...but I don't give up...as always. 😉
Not every experiment can succeed right at the first attempt...right?

I have both the somewhat lighter botanical form, and the today shown variety "Hien" in the current sowing.

I am very happy that you were more successful. I hope you let us participate in the splendour of the flower...I am looking forward to a photo...sometime.

kris

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2019, 01:58:25 AM »
I love to grow Dicentra peregrina. But so far I haven't tried. But grows Dicentra hybrid "king of Hearts". The particular plant shown here is 4 years old and planted in my wood land garden. It has very pretty leaves an beautiful blooms. But it can't be compared with the real gem .
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Steve Garvie

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 07:31:22 PM »
A couple of Dicentra peregrina seedlings in the same pot. One has a single flower.

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

kris

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 03:07:04 AM »
 Steve absolutely fantastic plant and the only one flower makes a statement!!.
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Leucogenes

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2019, 10:43:57 AM »
A couple of Dicentra peregrina seedlings in the same pot. One has a single flower.

What a grandiose plant...  Steve.  I am very happy for you and hope that you will enjoy this filigree beauty for a long time to come.  🤞

Steve Garvie

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2019, 12:14:18 AM »
Many thanks Thomas.

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal