We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus in February 2018  (Read 33516 times)

Josh Nelson

Re: Galanthus in February 2018
« Reply #270 on: March 06, 2018, 09:17:53 AM »
I am also interested in the military connection to distribution Rick, particularly the mapping of the various regiments that were involved and their home barracks locations.

For example, it is a mistake to concentrate solely on the Crimea itself. British and Allied Regiments were stationed in various areas around the region. Scutari for example had many allied units plus the hospital where Florence Nightingale was based, in the South West of the region of the Black Sea. Cavalry units would have covered much wider areas than their barracks as they practised tactics. There is still a lot of work required to map the spread of these little flowers.

Very interesting, Ingrid. There are military connections to the area the byzantinus population is in, including family connections to the Crimean War (and possibly other military campaigns (my history knowledge is lacking here).  More investigation needed!

Josh Nelson

« Reply #271 on: March 06, 2018, 09:23:48 AM »
these are two stripe-y virescents from the population; first from last year, and second from this year's visit:

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #272 on: March 06, 2018, 09:37:46 AM »
I am pleased to have been of some help in rescuing the snowdrop Josh, that's what this forum is all about. Very pleasing that your first attempt at chipping was a success too - as I always say "It's not rocket science" but things can go wrong!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #273 on: March 06, 2018, 09:57:08 AM »
... it is a mistake to concentrate solely on the Crimea itself. British and Allied Regiments were stationed in various areas around the region. Scutari for example had many allied units plus the hospital where Florence Nightingale was based, in the South West of the region of the Black Sea. Cavalry units would have covered much wider areas than their barracks as they practised tactics. There is still a lot of work required to map the spread of these little flowers.

That's a fascinating observation, Ingrid.  I had no idea that Florence Nightingale was so far away from the front line - but then I'm no historian.
Almost in Scotland.

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
« Reply #274 on: March 06, 2018, 10:33:29 AM »
Very interesting, Ingrid. There are military connections to the area the byzantinus population is in, including family connections to the Crimean War (and possibly other military campaigns (my history knowledge is lacking here).  More investigation needed!

The psychology of soldiers is also of interest, Generally they are often scavengers and traders. The fact that there might be an absence of a British Regiment in an area, does not preclude the fact that they could be a source if another allied unit was based in the location. Trading was commonplace. There would also have been many garden staff present in many units. We know from the First World War that gardening was commonplace in the trenches, not just for food but also flowers.

It is also worth remembering not to concentrate too heavily on the battle sites, soldiers seldom stop under fire to collect plants. They are far more likely to do so when out of the front line, resting, being re-equipped, given replacement troops, or recovering in hospital. These areas can often be miles from the front lines.

It is fascinating though.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 10:37:30 AM by Blonde Ingrid »

Tim Harberd

« Reply #275 on: March 06, 2018, 03:16:02 PM »
Hi Josh,
   Thanks for the details on SL-15-1

Having looked at the pictures I’m actually more interested in SL-15-21.. Although petals that shape are really hard to measure, what do you reckon its size is?

Tim DH

Josh Nelson

« Reply #276 on: March 07, 2018, 12:43:18 AM »
I am pleased to have been of some help in rescuing the snowdrop Josh, that's what this forum is all about. Very pleasing that your first attempt at chipping was a success too - as I always say "It's not rocket science" but things can go wrong!
Thanks Brian - I am very glad the forum was there and you helped out when I needed it.  I've only chopped two other bulbs, both that were diseased - one that didn't work - that was too far gone I suspect, and one of the striped virescents that I have five seedling sized shoots up this year. 

I am going to chip some more of the byzantinus this year, as I have an idea of what grows well and what might be best to propagate (a good insurance measure too if they are not available elsewhere).

Josh Nelson

« Reply #277 on: March 07, 2018, 12:47:16 AM »
   Having looked at the pictures I’m actually more interested in SL-15-21.. Although petals that shape are really hard to measure, what do you reckon its size is?

Tim, I'll try to measure as it develops but it is the width as opposed to the length that is most striking currently (might be easier to measure as well!).  Ill try tomorrow after work to measure both length and width.

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #278 on: March 07, 2018, 01:50:37 AM »
Thanks Josh and Ingrid for those historical footnotes...I am interested in learning more when you connect more dots, Josh! Thank you very much! Rick
Fanning the snowdrop flame.

ielaba2011

« Reply #279 on: March 08, 2018, 11:59:27 PM »
Thank you so much Alan. I've learn about  reginae-olgae recently and I want to try those ones, specialy the winter flowering ones. it sound really promising for our climate. In Lisbon we have a  Mediterranean climate, but with a strong altantic influence, with lots of rain in Sping and Autumn (in normal years at least), still the summer can be bone dry. 

There are snowdrop species that are native to Greece, including some of the Greek islands and to the coastal regions of Turkey.  Some of these snowdrop species, like reginae-olgae and peshmenii, are barely hardy enough to grow in the UK and many people who grow them here use bulb frames to give additional protection.  They may need a woodland setting but they are native to the Mediterranean and enjoy a Mediterranean climate.  Does Lisbon actually have a Mediterranean climate?   
Jaime, Central Portugal; Zone 9.

www.jamesjardimsuspenso.blogspot.com

ielaba2011

« Reply #280 on: March 09, 2018, 12:31:09 AM »
 Thank you Harald-Alex, for taking the time and show me the map with the species distribution, i apolozige for the late reply.  It is very encouraging to see all those Galatnhtus growing wild in countries with hot Summers. It is specially promessing when you say they grow well if "covered with mulch or dry brown leaves for isolation", this way they would face drought much better, And i will try grow them in the spring garden, where they will be under deciduous trees. Indeed I should try and get reginae-olgae from the UK in the green, I'm really looking forward to grow this species, specially the winter flowering one.  Thank you

Hallo Ielaba,
thank You for Your answer. I think, it is possible for You to cultivate snowdrops too. I send You the atlascard of the homelands of the wild galanthus varieties and there You see, that many of the galanthus live in Greece, Turkey, Krim, Syria, Iran in areas, where the temperatures higher as in UK or Germany. I think, the hot summer-temperatures are not a great probleme, when the snowdrop-bulbs are in the dry soil, covered with mulch or dry brown leaves for isolation. For instant: the Galanthus reginae-olgae from Greece flowers in october, when the soil will be wet after the first september-rains. They do not need wintertemperatures, to start growing!
When You compare the average month temperatures from Portugal and Greece, You find more similarties as to UK or Germany!
So I think, it is worth to start and try this interesting hobby!
(I myselve start an experiment to cultivate Lotos plants from river Nil, because gardener have found, that the leaves of this plants stop growth in Autumn and the plant survives in waterponds in more than 80 cm waterdeep icefree. In spring they start again to grow and flower next summer!)
Greetings from Germany Harald Alex

ielaba2011

« Reply #281 on: March 09, 2018, 01:09:08 AM »
Hi Pat, thank you for your answer and  photo of Galanthus reginae-olgae, they look rally gorgeous, and in fact I might grow mine in a very similar climate to South Australia. It is very encoraging and reginae-olgae are the ones I will keep in mind for now, I have to get them in near future! ;D

Jaime I can grow Galanthus reginae-olgae in South Australia where we have very hot dry conditions during summer and not that much rainfall. They are growing with other irises, arils, Albuca etc and get no supplementary watering.

Josh Nelson

« Reply #282 on: March 11, 2018, 12:12:21 AM »
A few plicatus finds from this February:
first is not particularly unusual except in being a plicatus plicatus type in a mainly byzantinus population
second has a nice shape with pointed tips to the outers
third is a very large face type (outers have reached 40mm)
fourth is a lovely light green virescent
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 12:52:33 AM by Josh Nelson »

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #283 on: March 11, 2018, 11:12:48 AM »
fourth is a lovely light green virescent

Some great finds, there Josh; it must be a fascinating population.  Do I see stronger green marks at the base of the outers on that virescent one?  Green shoulders are much rarer than green tips.
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #284 on: March 11, 2018, 11:53:11 AM »
second has a nice shape with pointed tips to the outers
They are all pretty, Josh - but this one with a bow tie for "eyes"  is adorable!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal