We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Advice on Germination of Armeria Trojana  (Read 1569 times)

CRSHEP0

Advice on Germination of Armeria Trojana
« on: January 01, 2018, 08:31:11 PM »
I have been unsuccessful, despite, multiple attempts to coax these seeds into little plants that I dearly love.  I have placed them 6 weeks 4 C, I left outside (protected from rain) where my coldest has been a few nights at -3 C.  All planted late December or early January.  I have always covered with one layer of grit 4-5 mm. 

Can anyone share their success stories ?  Oh yes, I place on a layer of seed mix that is successful with all of my alpine plants, that is a 2.5cm thick, which lies on top of 2mm fine pumice (I find this very successful), so roots can be moist but not drown.  I do keep the potting mix moist.  I would like to try your methods this season.  Thank you.  Cecile (Bay Area in Northern California).

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
Re: Advice on Germination of Armeria Trojana
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 01:31:11 AM »
I cannot talk specifically about A. trojana, but most Armeria species (or at least the European ones) have 'problems' in setting seeds because of self-incompatibly.

Carol Clark from ORG&HPS has brought into discussion last year Armeria juniperifolia and after we exchanged few emails, she went for it and wrote an article in our Journal; I will look for the pdf.

If you still have 'seeds' (the calyces that enclose the seeds) - I advise that you have a look if there are actually seeds inside.
This year I collected Armeria alpina in the wild, from a very healthy, nice population - even so, I barely selected +/- 20 from hundreds maybe!!
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 11:22:12 PM »
Here's the article, I hope it's Ok; the ORG&HP Journal is for members only but in the name of clarifying a 'seed problem' .... :)
http://www.onrockgarden.com/sites/default/files/Journal-2017-09-DPI-096-0096-8913.pdf

And two images: Armeria juniperifolia - empty dry calyces, absolutely no seeds inside (I looked inside all)

And Armeria maritima spp. barcensis - this is how the seeds look, and probably the same for all Armeria with minor differences.

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

CRSHEP0

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 04:24:54 AM »
Thank you so much.  I will go through my envelope of seeds, and, see if they are actually any seeds.  If I can ever get my hands on any more plants, I will be sure to plant them in clusters to cross pollinate, and assist them with a q-tip.  Cecile

CRSHEP0

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 04:13:38 PM »
Not one seed found, I might try pollination on these flowers this year.

Vincent

• Mountains, Alpines, Bulbs
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 06:06:28 PM »
Very interesting. I read the article and was just about to say that my single Armeria juniperifolia has produced some self-sown offsprings, but then I remembered that A. maritima is growing not very far away. Even still, one seedling which germinated in 2016 and is still quite small (only one rosette) looks exactly like A. juniperifolia. More germinated this year and they seem to have longer leaves, but they are still tiny. If they are all hybrids, then the first one must be very close to A. juniperifolia. I'm intrigued to see how it will turn out.
Vincent - South-West Germany

Gabriela

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 08:57:47 PM »
Not one seed found, I might try pollination on these flowers this year.

Sorry Cecile, I know how disappointing this can be. At least now you know that it wasn't about your method of sowing.
 You can try multiplying your plant from cuttings; Armerias are very easy in this regard.

Very interesting. I read the article and was just about to say that my single Armeria juniperifolia has produced some self-sown offsprings, but then I remembered that A. maritima is growing not very far away. Even still, one seedling which germinated in 2016 and is still quite small (only one rosette) looks exactly like A. juniperifolia. More germinated this year and they seem to have longer leaves, but they are still tiny. If they are all hybrids, then the first one must be very close to A. juniperifolia. I'm intrigued to see how it will turn out.

My only seedling also grew up to show well its hybrid nature Vincent.
The friend who gave me the seeds, also had other Armeria sp. nearby. Even if seeds are obtained the mother plant has to be isolated to be sure the seedlings will come true to species; or using wild collected seeds of course.

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal