We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Janis' Crocus Adventures in November 2017  (Read 8130 times)

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
Re: Janis' Crocus Adventures in November 2017
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2017, 08:44:53 AM »
Next morning we are visiting the Cave of Dirou, located near Aeropolis. The underground part represents 1200 m long trip by boat and 300 m long walk up to exit. The caves ceiling is quite low at several spots, so must be careful if your are long. There are plenty of stalactites but almost no stalagmites. The depth of cave reach 71 m under p[resent water-level and all stalagmites are below water. That confirms the significant rising of water level with the end of Glacial Age, as stalagmites can be formed only in the air, not under water.
On the hill slopes are plenty of Cyclamen hederifolium, some tubers are washed out by rains and shows incredible growing capacity of cyclamens. Another one "wonder"was spotted later, where cyclamen found its way out growing asphalt pavement of road.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 09:20:18 AM by Janis Ruksans »
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

sokol

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 11:43:31 AM »
Although last year we didn't spot it as well as extremely rare Colchicum zahnii - known only from 2 spots on Mani peninsula. It has very specially looking corms - they are distinctly rhizomlike with swollen apex. Just recently Oron Peri on Facebook showed this species abundantly blooming in his garden. Will it be hardy with me - I don't know.

Now I have realised that Colchicum psaridis is a synonym for Colchicum zahnii:

look here to see the rhizome: http://wildgreeceeditions.com/colchicum-of-greece/2-uncategorised/31-colchicum-psaridis.html

We have found a good population by chance between Areopolis and Gytheio.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 11:58:25 AM by Maggi Young »
Stefan
Southern Bavaria, zone 7a

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 11:56:14 AM »
Oron Peri's photo of Colchicum zahnii - this is a screengrab from a little video clip of his plants in flower
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 06:47:22 AM »
Maggi,
are you trying to convert us to FB?  :o
That pic from Oron's FB page is amazing! 8)
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 01:58:31 PM »
Certainly NOT, fermi!  I am only there to be able to promote the SRGC  and I never tire of saying how much easier to find the information posted here is.  Most search engines give great results for SRGC posts -  available to anyone on any machine, no registration needed!

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 09:35:46 AM »
Certainly NOT, fermi!  I am only there to be able to promote the SRGC  and I never tire of saying how much easier to find the information posted here is.  Most search engines give great results for SRGC posts -  available to anyone on any machine, no registration needed!

I'm always using and checking our forum. As some FB lands on my screen I check them but only rarely replies, always giving preference to SRGC  forum.

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 09:57:26 AM »
Not much left to tell. After visiting of cave we continue our road to South up to "last petrol station" (as it is announced on roadside) and then turn across mountain ridge to opposite side of Mani peninsula. Along the road everywhere cyclamens and Crocus boryi. Almost at top we again visit locality with huge amount of Crocus boryi, spotted already last year. More abundant on formerly cultivated land and openings , but growing between spiny dwarf shrubs, too. Oh this boryi, growing almost everywhere. We really tired from it. View to sea around Mani is wonderful.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 09:19:33 AM by Janis Ruksans »

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 10:01:55 AM »
But for the first time we found at this place some of Crocus goulimyi clumps, too. Not densely, but are present. Most likely we are here too early and it only starts blooming.
Before small village along road to Githio on roadside something different - it is Crocus niveus and in this population dominates bluish toned forms. Night and morning rains damaged flowers and they still are very wet - you can sea drops of water on flower segments, on opposite side of village again Crocus boryi.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 09:19:12 AM by Janis Ruksans »

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 10:09:22 AM »
After tiresomer winding on coastal roasd serpentines we finally reach the road crossing Mani and joining Aeropolis with Githio. We take the first turn to right from it to Vathi - the place of most wonderful beach found may be in all Greece. Ground there is covered by tiny rounded pebles (excellent size to cover pots) so stepping in is not painful for my foot, water is warm, place something hidden, but no one else around - too cold for natives... So swimming and after that lunch on the beach before starting our way to Monemvasia, to our last hotel on Pelloponesse.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 09:18:52 AM by Janis Ruksans »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 01:27:43 PM »
We are fortunate - and very grateful - to  have  not only your expertise in these pages, Janis  but also your  generosity in sharing these adventures too.  :)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 01:41:19 PM »
I've never been to Greece but am familiar with many of the places Janis mentions from reading about them on the Forum.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 02:31:01 PM »
Great report from your latest adventure Janis thank you for taking time to share with us.
I love reading them and seeing the pictures with such variations in colour.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2017, 11:20:35 PM »
Thanks for for sharing your photos  :D

David you should (must  ;D) travel at least one time in this beautiful country, early april is the perfect period for Peloponese.
It's time to ask Santa claus  ;)
North of France

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2017, 09:53:11 AM »

David you should (must  ;D) travel at least one time in this beautiful country, early april is the perfect period for Peloponese.
It's time to ask Santa claus  ;)

He(she, surely!) might just reply but the decision would be based on sufficient supplies of:- (1) 4/5 star hotels. (2) handbag shops (3) shoe shops (4) flights that leave Exeter airport[only 25 miles from home!] (no other airport will do) between 1100 and 1400 (5) flights that get back to Exeter airport no earlier than lunchtime and no later than teatime. ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2017, 11:06:40 AM »
hummm lots of check boxes on the list, you can suggest a week to the italian riviera...after one week isolated in the rocks of Peloponese.
I hope you saved enough money  :P
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 11:09:46 AM by Yann »
North of France

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal