We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Starting my collection of species  (Read 1530 times)

ptallbo

• My garden page
Starting my collection of species
« on: September 18, 2017, 06:56:48 AM »
Hello!

Just started to get into this world of Galanthus...here are the last ones.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Starting my collection of species
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 08:35:52 AM »
That's a fantastic range of species you have there; many of which I would not know where to get hold of.  I wonder how wide a range of growing conditions you will find that they need?

I don't want to be picky but isn't borkewitschianus a sterile form of G. alpinus var. alpinus?  I grew it for a few years but found it reluctant to flower.     
Almost in Scotland.

ptallbo

• My garden page
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 09:13:55 AM »
Feel free to be picky ..:) these are all new to me... got this info from a friend so names will be changed and correct labels will be made.

1. Galanthus bortkewitschianus Koss is a synonym of Galanthus alpinus var. bortkewitschianus (Koss) A.P.
2. Galanthus kemulariae Kuth. is a synonym of Galanthus lagodechianus Kem.-Nath.
3. G. panjuntinii - www.biotaxa.org/Phytotaxa/article/view/phytotaxa.50.1.5
4. Galanthus cabardensis Koss is a synonym of Galanthus lagodechianus Kem.-Nath.
and -
5. Galanthus caucasicus (Baker) Grossh. is a synonym of Galanthus alpinus Sosn.

and from another friend some info about; Galanthus cabardensis would be correct, a hexaploid species from G. lagodechianus complex and some tip "Be careful on fungi! Namely G. caucasicus and G. plicatus from Novorossijsk vicinities are very susceptible to snow rots."

If they want to flower or not time will tell. I live in the middle of Sweden with real winters , frozen ground and cover of snow so I hope they will do well. They will be planted in a bed with loam, seem that most of my other ones prefer that.

Hoping to get some more soon from other source :
Galanthus alpinus
Galanthus artjuschenkoae
Galanthus transcaucasicus

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 01:06:54 PM »
There is a fungal disease that caused leaf scorch in Narcissi called Didymella curtisii (formerly Stagonospora curtisii); this can be fatal to snowdrops.  I think G. plicatus is particularly prone to it.  This disease happens with or without snow so I don't know if you would classify it as "snow rot".

If you can find any bulbs, I recommend you try Galanthus platyphyllus.  This grows at high altitude in its native habitat and experiences a lot of winter snow, so it might be suited to your conditions.     

Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 01:25:27 PM »
Great start, Peter!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ptallbo

• My garden page
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 02:27:36 PM »
Thank you! I will see how these will do, maybe some will be potted until more offspring to test with or they will be planted out.

Chris Parsons

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 09:00:17 PM »
Who was you're source for these? That is a fantastic collection of species.

ptallbo

• My garden page
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 10:15:54 PM »
Some sources you keep .. :/ In some years I hope I will be a source.. :)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 08:05:01 AM »
If you make a Google search on Galanthus cabardinicus all the results are in the Russian language.  Through the power of Google Translate I see that a number of the results are web sites offering this snowdrop for sale.  But snowdrops are covered by CITES regulations so it is difficult, but perhaps not impossible, to import these into the EU from outside.

There is an interesting reference to Galanthus cabardinicus here: http://oopt.aari.ru/rbdata/1759/bio/79319 .  If the translation is correct then this is the snowdrop version of Leucojum aestivum, growing naturally in very moist conditions by water.
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal