We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrop ident please?  (Read 20809 times)

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
Re: Snowdrop ident please?
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2018, 02:41:22 PM »
And I thank you once again, Miss Maggi, xxx
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2018, 03:10:33 PM »
Bless you, Christine - it's my pleasure.

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2018, 08:07:07 AM »
I also bought two bulbs of Galanthus transcaucasicus ex Nagorny Karabach last autumn.

Plants grown from seed from the same source have been shown here and there identity has been questioned. My Galanthus clearly has applanate leaves which does not fit with the description for transcaucasicus.

You have leaves that are applanate with a distinct median stripe.  They are green rather than glaucous and stand erect.  The flower in your first picture looks quite similar to that of a nivalis, the flower in the last picture less so.  I would not disagree with your identification as G. lagodechianus but I know little about this species; it is rarely grown in gardens here.   
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 10:07:09 PM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

Erwinia

« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2018, 09:40:53 AM »
Many thanks for your assessment, Alan!

I'm trying to read more about these species: the current red data book of Armenia does not list G. transcaucasicus for the country anymore but calls the plants found in the SE corner of the country G. artjuschenkoae. A population of G. lagodechianus/artjuschenkoae in Nagorny Karabach would fill a gap in the distribution map.
I'm getting the impression that the identification of this snowdrop as G. transcaucasicus was based on an old textbook.

I should point out that the quality of the bulbs I received from this vendor was flawless and the one Narcissus flowering for me fits the current classification.

Harald-Alex.

« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2018, 08:00:32 PM »
It seems likely but wait patiently for a few days and you will find out.
Hallo Alan, the strange nivalis starts to open the flower and shows green markers in the outher flowerleaves.  I think, this is a next indiz for "Scharlockii !?
Greetings from germany, where the weather prognose says: next week nightfrosts till -20 °C and no snow! :-(
from Harald Alex
"Im Innersten... pulst das Bedürfnis nach Mitfreude anderer" Karl Foerster 1969

ptallbo

• My garden page
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2018, 04:43:24 PM »
Hello!

These bulbs have been on this spot more then 20 years and now there are beginning to show some yellow ones. What specie could this be?

Edit by  maggi : Sorry, the links no longer work  to the outside  server from where  ptallbo  shared his images.  :'(
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 06:02:39 PM by Maggi Young »

David Lowndes

« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2018, 05:16:02 PM »
Difficult to say but, apart from the inner segment mark, they have a look of Galanthus gracilis about them. Perhaps a gracilis hybrid? They seem quite robust.

ptallbo

• My garden page
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2018, 09:03:31 PM »
There have been no other specie in their surroundings, niether at the neighoburs either, and I do think that it should be a pure specie, or at least the bulbs are bought at that once... And it is a small and robust plant. About 10-15cm high with the leafs and the yellowish ones are smaller or more robust, they reach 10cm. I will get new pictures when spring arrives again. Now they are covered with +100cm of snow... :)

Mariette

« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2018, 09:36:28 PM »
Hej, ptallbo, we´re often on holiday in Sweden, but hardly ever saw anything else but G. nivalis and occasionally elwesii growing in gardens or churchyards. It would be interesting to find G. gracilis in a garden  so high up in the North. Do You have an idea whether someone with botanical interest planted these snowdrops? To  determine the species it would be helpful to show whether the leaves are applanate or supervolute. Anyway, the yellow coloration is a tempting feature. The fact that the yellowish ones are smaller may be due to inbreeding, which favours the development of yellowish coloration.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2018, 07:40:37 AM »
Ptallbo, I think what you have is Galanthus graecus.  This looks like a hybrid between elwesii and gracilis so not everyone accepts that it is genuinely a separate species.  I have seen it sold as elwesii in my local garden centre.  Graecus has the broad leaves of elwesii with the twist of gracilis.
Almost in Scotland.

ptallbo

• My garden page
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2018, 03:27:37 PM »
Thank you!!

I have planted them myself..:) But trying to remeber what when a snowdrop was a snowdrop and no care about specie or name.. is hard .:)

I will make better pictures this spring when they emerge, or when the snow has melted, and that will take a while to get that 100cm away. I will help out and reomove some as well..:)

About the yellowish I assume there are few specie of crossing ot specie that makes yellow...?

Mariette

« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2018, 04:16:38 PM »
Of most species yellow selections are known, though they are comparatively rare. There are also hybrids with yellow ovary and/or marks.
Galanthus gracilis often shows a very light coloured ovary, so this is a point for David´s and Alan´s assumption.

Anyway, it´s a very attractive snowdrop You grow!

deee

« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2018, 06:35:23 PM »
hi -- first time uploading a picture so please bear with me, these are also terrible bad smart phone pictures and im also im fairly new to snowdrop madness.

I came across this today in a very old church grave yard.  In the middle of an established clump of G. Nivallis and about 16 inches from several established clumps of Galanthus nivalis flore pleno.

Its small but looks very much like a yellow double but with the yellow ovary -- Im only aware of Galanthus nivalis flore pleno Lady Elphinstone -- but doesnt that have a green ovary ?

deee

« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2018, 06:37:52 PM »
having trouble with pictures sorry

deee

« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2018, 06:40:13 PM »
this is without flash or filters -- my smart phone is bad -- in fact it was run over by a car last week -- but still going

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal