We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrop ident please?  (Read 20801 times)

Mariette

Re: Snowdrop ident please?
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2018, 04:07:29 PM »
As do any number of snowdrops you can find in a naturalised nivalis population.  'Gloucester Old Spot' is a great name but it's one of those snowdrops that was the first of its type to be found and named.  With hindsight it is far from unique.

As I´ve got a soft spot for snowdrops with such dainty marks, I collected some myself and learned, that ´Gloucester Old Spot´has been superseded by other varieties. Are there any recommendations for superiour varieties?

Shauney

« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2018, 01:08:58 AM »
Anyone have any ideas what this might be? The lable says caucasicus but i cant find many pictures of the flowers online and nothing that matched mine.. Also I might be wrong but is this name not used anymore and now called alpinus? The outers are 32mm long. Many thanks Shaun.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2018, 09:13:54 AM »
Caucasicus is the old name for elwesii var. monostictus, I believe.  That's what it looks like. 

Have a look at this one, http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=16074.0 .  'Trumpington' is the same type and a similar size but with green marks on the outers.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 09:39:11 AM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

Shauney

« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2018, 11:34:03 PM »
Cheers for that Alan.
Shaun.

Harald-Alex.

« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2018, 03:43:45 PM »
The second plant I got was s scharlockii but most have only one developed ear. I've never seen it on mine before again is this a normal thing? Many thanks Shaun.
Hallo Shauney, in my collection I have two parts of "Viridapice" snowdrops from different sources, one with dobble "ears" and one with only one big ear.
It is right to say, the first is "Scharlockii" and the second is "Viridapiece" ?

Foto 1: G. viridapice with two long "Ears"
Foto 2: G. viridapice with one long "Ear"
"Im Innersten... pulst das Bedürfnis nach Mitfreude anderer" Karl Foerster 1969

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2018, 09:08:39 AM »
Given the opportunity, I like to point out that 2018 is the 150th anniversary of Galanthus 'Scharlockii'.   'Warei' turned-up about 20 years later and 'Viridapice' later still.  'Scharlockii' was probably an ancestor to the two later forms.  Since they were discovered they have been setting seed and cross-breeding so what we have now is a wealth of different clones with similar characteristics.  The 'ear' is a very elongated spathe and you get two 'ears' when this splits into two halves.  Therefore if you have two 'ears' you would expect them to be the same length and this is normally what you see.  Shauney will have to do some close observation next year to work out how two ears of unequal length come about.       
Almost in Scotland.

Shauney

« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2018, 09:45:00 AM »
  Shauney will have to do some close observation next year to work out how two ears of unequal length come about.     

Alan, As I mentioned before the clump does need splitting which I will do just as they start going dorment. There are three distinct types, those with normal, those with one normal and one about half the length and then those with one normal and one just a few millimetres long. All the bulbs that are flowering have been tagged. They will be potted up into those groups to see what happens next year. That's all I can do for now and I'll report back on my findings next year. Shaun.

Harald-Alex.

« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2018, 10:04:30 AM »
I found yesterday in my snowdropgarden between many G nivalis one flowersprout, that looks strange! I didnt see till now and need your help! Will this be a Scharlockii - Type? Thank You!
"Im Innersten... pulst das Bedürfnis nach Mitfreude anderer" Karl Foerster 1969

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2018, 08:13:53 PM »
Two snowdrops. Thought they were the same, but not sure now. One is labelled Wendy’s Gold, the other Spindlestone Surprise.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:12:11 PM by Maggi Young »
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2018, 08:40:14 PM »
... One is labelled Wendy’s Gold, the other Spindlestone Surprise.

'Wendy's Gold' has a much fuller mark on the inner petals that 'Spindlestone Surprise'.  The first picture is not 'Wendy's Gold', the second picture easily could be.
Almost in Scotland.

Shauney

« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2018, 08:42:21 PM »
Is there anything I can do to make my uploads come in upright instead of sideways?

Hi Chris,

All the pictures I've uploaded on here have been taken with and sent from my mobile, I've had some end up the wrong way and have pinpointed this down to being wether they were taken in portrait or landscape. The pics I upload that were taken in portrait are always on there side so I try and always remember now to take in landscape, and sofar they have always been up the correct way. I don't know why this should be but this is my observations. Hope this helps.

Shaun.

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2018, 09:42:20 PM »
Thanks so much, and yes, the first pic is Spindlestone Surprise.  The other is Wendy’s Gold, or at least that’s what the label said.

Shauney, I will try to remember to take them that way now.  Thanks
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2018, 10:14:40 PM »
Is there anything I can do to make my uploads come in upright instead of sideways?
If photos are taken "sideways" by a camera phone or  i-pad  and then rotated by you before you post them, it seems that the original format  is "remembered"  when it is loaded to the forum and appears sideways.   It seems that I can usually override that when I rotate them here.   :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2018, 06:55:36 AM »
Will this be a Scharlockii - Type?

It seems likely but wait patiently for a few days and you will find out.
Almost in Scotland.

Erwinia

« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2018, 01:40:28 PM »
Hello all,

I have been visiting this forum for a while already. Being rather inexperienced with most plants, I think I'd rather sit back and learn instead of sharing an unsubstanciated opinion. So far.

I am not in danger of becoming a Galanthomaniac, I believe, but this forum has raised my interest in this genus and am starting to grow a couple of bulbs, mostly from seed.
 I also bought two bulbs of Galanthus transcaucasicus ex Nagorny Karabach last autumn.

Plants grown from seed from the same source have been shown here and there identity has been questioned. My Galanthus clearly has applanate leaves which does not fit with the description for transcaucasicus.

From Tom Mitchells blog (Revolution Snowdrops) I'm getting the idea that these plants may in fact be G. lagodechianus since they look pretty much like those photographed in Armenia. Leaves fit the description and they are 8-10 mm wide.
Any comment much appreciated.

Thanks,

Carsten

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal