We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: René Gigučre, curator of the Alpinum at Montreal Botanical Garden  (Read 1560 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
René Gigučre,  curator of the Alpinum at Montreal Botanical Garden, is about to retire after a career spanning 40 years. He has worked wonders and earned many friends and admirers around the world - particularly so in his chosen field of alpine gardening.

This blog by Janet Davis pays a charming tribute to him :  www.thepaintboxgarden.com/au-revoir-rene-giguere/

I am proud that we featured an interview with René Gigučre, by Zdenek Zvolanek in the IRG (International Rock Gardener e-magazine) of April 2010

http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2010Oct071286446410IRGApril_.pdf

We wish René Gigučre all the very best in his retirement - and many happy times with his beloved Diane!

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: René Gigučre, curator of the Alpinum at Montreal Botanical Garden
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 01:26:42 PM »
I don't know if you will see this Rene (I must learn how to do the accents sometime!) but in case you do I wish you a very long and happy retirement. I'm sure they will miss you and I'm certain you will miss them but if you're anything like the rest of us in six months time you'll wonder however you found the time to work.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 08:47:03 PM »
I don't know if you will see this Rene (I must learn how to do the accents sometime!) but in case you do I wish you a very long and happy retirement. I'm sure they will miss you and I'm certain you will miss them but if you're anything like the rest of us in six months time you'll wonder however you found the time to work.

I noticed he has a talk scheduled for ORGS (Ontario) in September, so I am sure it is just the beginning of a very productive 'retirement' :)
MBG is a wonder, the best in Canada and of course the Alpinum is a sight to behold. I still have to make it there in early spring when at its best though...

Here's a more recent view:
564190-0
And one more fine NA species - Petrophytum hendersonii
564192-1
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 09:36:34 PM »

Here's a more recent view:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]
And one more fine NA species - Petrophytum hendersonii
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]
[/quote]

Gabriela,

What a beautiful alpinum. Very impressive. In the second photo I am pretty sure that it is about P. caespitosum or P. cinerascens.

P. hendersonii looks slightly different. But all three species are among my favorites at alpine NA.

Would appreciate more pictures of this beautiful Rock Garden very much.

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 01:00:51 AM »
Yes, I can only imagine how it looks in May!
Here it is the Petrophytum caespitosum, at least according with MBG :D
564194-0

Its true nature is best shown in the next link though
http://www.swcoloradowildflowers.com/White%20Enlarged%20Photo%20Pages/petrophyton%20caespitosum.htm

I will have to do some cropping and then will 'visit' the MBG  :)
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal