We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: raised bed  (Read 738 times)

Tasmanian Taffy

raised bed
« on: February 23, 2017, 08:03:00 AM »
Hi all, I currently have a large raised bed 3 mtrs x 2mtrs x 800cmtrs which I  am not using. I am wondering if this could be used as a plunge bed, it has been filled with a gritty raised bed potting mix. could I use this mix or would I need to replace it with sand. I have built a frame over the top and I can cover the bed with solar plastic. I would like to use it for as a plunge bed for some of my Iris. Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance, John.

Cfred72

Re: raised bed
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 01:02:27 PM »
Hi John, there's no reason why this should not work.
Maybe you should explain the mix a bit more, put up some photos to see what it looks like.
Is your mixture well draining?
If you put in a pot and you water, the water passes through in just how long?
Frédéric Catoul, Amay en Hesbaye, partie francophone de la Belgique.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 01:21:25 PM »
John, if I were doing the same I would dig out about a foot of the soil; replace the bottom 4 inches with some good sized rubble (broken bricks etc) lay some good quality, water permeable, sheeting over this firstly to try to keep the worms out and secondly so that the sand topping doesn't wash into the soil below and then top it up with about eight inches of good gritty sand. Mind you, with my record I'd never get round to starting it in the first place. ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Tasmanian Taffy

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 02:29:48 AM »
Thank you both David and Fred. In the bottom of the raised bed I laid a sheet of weed control mat, on top of this there is about 100 mm of blue metal (Granite) road base then three rows of agricultural drain spaced apart and running the length of the bed then a further 100 mm of road base on top of this.The Raised bet potting mix is a commercial blend from one of the local nurseries with a lot of added coarse grit so it has good drainage.I can fully or partially cover the bed when needed. I am attempting to grow some Junos Iris from seed and thought that I could use this as a plunge bed / cold frame once they have been sown in a few weeks time (Autumn here).Any further advice or tips would be appreciated.
Regards, John.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal