We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Yellow Snowdrops  (Read 52022 times)

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
Re: Yellow Snowdrops
« Reply #165 on: February 23, 2017, 08:10:47 AM »
Glad it's not something I'm doing to Lady Elphinstone then. Last two years they were yellow but came up green so far this year.  Going to put them in the garden to see if they turn back next year....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #166 on: February 23, 2017, 09:23:51 AM »
Would this be true of the others in this group and if so what are the merits of having a whole host of plants that look the same all with different names?

Money,apart from ones with bits of green on you could sow seed and end up with lots indistinguishable from most of the named ones. In the end it is harmless and if it gives people pleasure then that is okay.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #167 on: February 25, 2017, 01:36:54 PM »
A present from a great gardener yesterday, I can't find any reference to it but he said he got it as "Late Limey" but it doesn't look very limey!  Anyone know anything about it?
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Mariette

« Reply #168 on: March 03, 2017, 10:26:46 PM »
Sorry, no. But due to biographical connections I was very glad to receive this one last year.

´Rheingold´

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #169 on: March 04, 2017, 12:02:42 AM »
Sorry, no. But due to biographical connections I was very glad to receive this one last year. ´Rheingold´

Nice to see & timely as well Mariette.  Are you by chance related to a Rheinmaiden?  Just heard Götterdämmerung in Toronto on the weekend so I trust you didn't have to use their elaborate tactics to buy that nivalis!

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

vivienne Condon

« Reply #170 on: March 04, 2017, 03:46:23 AM »
What a wonderful thread Brian, thank you for that list of Yellows I can't believe there are so many I love Ronald Mackenzie. Even if you think some of the yellows are the same with different names. I feel quite deprived here as we only grow Spindlestone Surprise, Wendy's Gold, Sandersonii and from Otto Lady Elphinstone. I think like Maggii I will have to win Tattslotto ticket.
Thank you again.

vivienne Condon

« Reply #171 on: March 04, 2017, 04:10:31 AM »
I left off Primrose Warburg from our tiny list.

Mariette

« Reply #172 on: March 04, 2017, 10:45:51 PM »
Nice to see & timely as well Mariette.  Are you by chance related to a Rheinmaiden?  Just heard Götterdämmerung in Toronto on the weekend so I trust you didn't have to use their elaborate tactics to buy that nivalis!

john

Buy? Phoo! A present of a kind goddess, of course!

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #173 on: March 04, 2017, 11:26:21 PM »
Being a bit colour blind, I am never confident I see the same colours as other people but this one looked yellow to me.  It was on show at the Harlow AGS event earlier today.

Almost in Scotland.

johnw

« Reply #174 on: March 04, 2017, 11:55:33 PM »
Buy? Phoo! A present of a kind goddess, of course!

Does she ship by Air Valhalla by chance?  ; )

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #175 on: March 05, 2017, 09:16:45 AM »
What a wonderful thread Brian

You are very welcome, as always it is a combined effort from other forumists too.  To be honest I am staggered at how many have 'come out of the woodwork'. 

It is interesting that some are very easily obtainable whilst some are almost the stuff of legends, for years I had heard of a Norfolk yellow called 'Goldcrest' and could not track down any other information about it, amazingly I now know of at least one other grower other than the finder, that it is still in existence, who found it and where they live!  It gives hope for all those other snowdrops that seem to exist as just names from the past.

johnw

« Reply #176 on: March 05, 2017, 03:25:02 PM »
Being a bit colour blind, I am never confident I see the same colours as other people but this one looked yellow to me.  It was on show at the Harlow AGS event earlier today.
(Attachment Link)

Now you have me worried Alan.  To me the markings and ovaries on that one are an extremely pale lima bean green.   Others?

john

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #177 on: March 05, 2017, 05:44:15 PM »
...To me the markings and ovaries on that one are an extremely pale lima bean green.

Many's the time I have seen slides of purportedly 'yellow' snowdrops that do not look even remotely yellow to me.  It's clearly nowhere near as yellow as the flower in the background; perhaps you are right, John. 
Almost in Scotland.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #178 on: March 14, 2017, 09:46:17 AM »
Perhaps you prefer something like this Alan.  This is 'Gold Dust' - aptly named!

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #179 on: March 14, 2017, 02:29:35 PM »
With thanks to Gert Jan here is 'Bohemia Gold'

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal