We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2017  (Read 39912 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Cyclamen 2017
« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2017, 01:14:40 PM »
A patch of Cyclamen hederifolium nestling close to, and indeed growing through, a dwarf Conifer that I've had for the best part of 20 years. I've no idea what the Conifer is so if anyone can tell me that would be nice.

Also below are some leaves from a few C. persicum all grown from seed. I've never tried persicum before and I've never been sure how to grow them but at least I haven't killed them........ yet! Leaf 1 is from AGS seed 13/14-2193 sown November 2014 and described as white with pink nose. Leaf 2 is persicum autumnale from Oron Peri under his code OP 213051, ex Galilee and sown August 2014. Leaf 3 is from SRGS seed 13/14-1244 also sown November 2014. The fourth one is from AGS seed 13/14-2184 also sown November 2014.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #91 on: September 01, 2017, 01:07:22 AM »
David  - Very difficult to say which conifer that is given the distant shot.  I will stick my neck out and say that from Nova Scotia it looks like Cryprtomeria japonica 'Vilmoriniana'.

john

25c today after a rather chilly start.
John in coastal Nova Scotia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #92 on: September 01, 2017, 09:08:29 AM »
David  - Very difficult to say which conifer that is given the distant shot.  I will stick my neck out and say that from Nova Scotia it looks like Cryprtomeria japonica 'Vilmoriniana'.

john

25c today after a rather chilly start.

Thanks for trying John, sometime in the next few days I'll try to get a better, and closer, shot.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #93 on: September 01, 2017, 01:13:10 PM »
Lovely Cyclamen folk
A few C. hederifolium in the garden and selections
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #94 on: September 01, 2017, 01:18:21 PM »
Cyclamen purpurascens in the rock garden
Cyclamen cilicium just starting
Cyclamen mirabile ex Tilebarn seedling leaves
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

johnw

« Reply #95 on: September 01, 2017, 01:41:19 PM »
Thanks for trying John, sometime in the next few days I'll try to get a better, and closer, shot.

David  - A close-up of the foliage would help as well.

john
about 15c & sunny, cool for this date.  Snowed in Labrador overnight!

johnw

« Reply #96 on: September 01, 2017, 04:18:58 PM »
Quite a few years ago Melvyn Jope kindly sent us some collected wild C. hederifolium seed.  The resultant range of leaf patterns was staggering, virtually everything one could hope for.  Several years ago Ken planted a few out and they survived until last winter when they turned to slop.  Drainage was good and the winter was what we consider a mild one. Luckily we did not test the ones with the best foliage.

In the late 60's I bought a single hederifolium from Cruickshanks Bulbs in Ontario.  It survived for years and self-sowed all over the garden even in the front garden thanks to the ants.  In the 70's I added pinks and whites.  The winter of 1991/1992 was notable in that we had virtually no rain or snow through the winter and while it was not a brutal winter by any means the cold got into the dry ground and caused a lot of damage, even to indestructibles.  All the hederifoliums were killed outright.  In 1998 one huge hederifolium leaf appeared from exactly where my first purchase was, a shock but it was not quite where it was planted originally and when I tried to dig it I cut the huge corm through the centre.

C. purpurascens is our best species, it responds quickly to a bit of summer rain and can start flowering in late June through till late November in a good year.  I think the C. coum we now have will be a good-doer as it goes dormant during our problematic dryish summers.  C. hederifolium in its heyday here did have problems - it would frequently not start to flower until October and then get the first frost would knock it flat, only prolonged August to autumn rain would snap it out of dormancy.  The deep dormancy issue was likely exacerbated by winter root-damage in this climate so that a few rains were not enough to develop a good root system to jump start it for an early season.

It's clear we need a form of hederifolium from the coldest provenance possible.  Also from an area that is very winter wet with frequent freeze-thaws.  Perhaps it will simply not fly here.  My question is where does one starrt and where to find such a thing?

john
z6
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 09:09:44 PM by johnw »

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2017, 04:54:03 PM »
The first one of the season for me: Cyclamen mirabile
North of France

arilnut

« Reply #98 on: September 04, 2017, 02:38:38 PM »
Has anyone seen a cyclamen do this?
A straight star form.
This is stargazer

John B
John  B.
Hopelessly hooked on Aril Iris

arilnut

« Reply #99 on: September 04, 2017, 03:06:25 PM »
The petals have now folded back.
I did not know of this mechanism.

John
John  B.
Hopelessly hooked on Aril Iris

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #100 on: September 04, 2017, 07:39:41 PM »

John, hope you see this but so as not to clutter-up the Cyclamen thread I have started a new thread for Dwarf Conifer in the Plant ID  & Questions Section  under Dwarf Conifers

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Roma

« Reply #101 on: September 04, 2017, 09:22:51 PM »
I keep taking pictures and not doing anything with them.  It's time I posted a few.

Cyclamen intaminatum  in a large pot with stones (not really a trough).  It's been out there two winters now.  There is another at the other side of the pot.  They both produce a number of flowers but only one or two at a time.  The leaves are Soldanella carpatica.
Cyclamen mirabile 3pics - this one was a foliage plant for a long time but now produces lots of flowers and gets better every year.  The leaves are good too.  Was from SRGC seed labelled 'Tilebarn Nicholas' sown in 2001.
Last picture is also Cyclamen mirabile from the same batch of seed.  The plant is smaller, flowers are smaller and paler but the leaves are nearer 'Tilebarn Nicholas'.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Roma

« Reply #102 on: September 04, 2017, 09:26:23 PM »
Cyclamen cilicium x 2
Cyclamen colchicum
Cyclamen purpurascens x 2

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #103 on: September 04, 2017, 09:28:49 PM »
Wonderfull mirable pot  :o :o
North of France

Roma

« Reply #104 on: September 04, 2017, 09:34:11 PM »
Cyclamen hederifolium
The strip of gravel between the path and the house
Coming up in the crack between the paving slab and the kerb
Don't know what this is feeding on.  Crack between tar driveway and the house wall
A nice dark form
One of my favourites - narrow twisted petals

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal