We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2017  (Read 40034 times)

Roma

Re: Cyclamen 2017
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2017, 03:02:04 PM »
Cyclamen creticum
This one has really long petals.  I lost the parent plant which was a grown from Cyclamen Society seed from a CSE collected plant in the 2010/11 winter.  I was very pleased to have collected and sown seed from it.  I was disappointed to lose another creticum with plain leaves and pale pink flowers.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 03:26:13 PM by Maggi Young »
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2017, 04:13:35 PM »
Very elegant, Roma with the pure white flowers as well as the long petals.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

SJW

« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2017, 10:17:58 PM »
C. creticum is one of the species I struggle with. I start off with a potful of seedlings and they gradually reduce over the next couple of years. I suspect they don't get enough, or the right, care during the dormant period.
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2017, 01:01:19 PM »
Cyclamen graecum "Album" in the garden
Cyclamen rohlfsianum in the garden
Cyclamen mirabile ex 'Tilebarn Nicholas' in the shade-house
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2017, 07:11:56 PM »
Cyclamen rohlfsianum in the garden

That's really rubbing it in ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2017, 06:39:26 PM »
This is Cyclamen repandum from Croatia -
survived outside unexpectedly - the site is quite dry beneath a Turish Hazel (Corylus colurna)

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Graeme

« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2017, 04:19:44 PM »
Whilst I was looking for cyclamen the other day I came across this coin - C.Coum and then screen printed - its about the size of a 10p coin and in a plastic case to protect it.  I was really pleased when it came - they do solid silver ones as well but these don't apear to be printed in colour

"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

SJW

« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2017, 01:14:05 AM »
I am extremely saddened to share the news that Peter Moore died this week after a few days in hospital. Until he retired a few years ago Peter ran the hugely influential Tilebarn Nursery. I know that many forumists have in their collections Tilebarn cyclamen cultivars that Peter developed through years of skill, dedication and patient breeding and selection. He was a founder member of the Cyclamen Society and he will be sorely missed by its members and his many friends in the horticultural world. RIP Peter.
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2017, 10:14:39 AM »
I am extremely saddened to share the news that Peter Moore died this week after a few days in hospital. Until he retired a few years ago Peter ran the hugely influential Tilebarn Nursery. I know that many forumists have in their collections Tilebarn cyclamen cultivars that Peter developed through years of skill, dedication and patient breeding and selection. He was a founder member of the Cyclamen Society and he will be sorely missed by its members and his many friends in the horticultural world. RIP Peter.

Dear me, I am sorry to hear that.  I think there will be many in the alpine and rock garden world who are aware of Peter via the Tilebarn name, even if they never knew him personally.  Sad news - thank you for letting us know.

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2017, 10:49:31 AM »
Yes, a name I know well, a very well respected plantsman.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Graeme

« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2017, 09:09:55 AM »
been collecting seed today off the plants and I have noticed that a lot of them are waking up - seems a bit early - Hederifolium Stargazer looks like it is going to flower soon (too early......)

Anyway thoughts turn to the task of re-potting and what mixes everyone uses?

Currently I use a 20% JI 2 or 3, 20% multi purpose, 20% sharp grit, 20% perlite and 20% Johndo mixed Chicken grit (grit, limestone, oyster shells) - bit of slow release fertilizer or blood fish and bone
Plastic pots - top dressing of grit

Never sure if I should bury the growing points in the compost or just cover with grit?

Also tend now to plant on a slight tilt/angle so that any water does not sit in the crown and rot off the growing tips

Any tips on getting hederifolium from seed to flower quickly would be greatly appreciated.  Have no issues with coum - just hederifolium   

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2017, 08:05:31 PM »
Mine not too different from yours Graeme: 2 measures JI No. 3; 1 measure composted bark; 1.5 measures sharp sand; 1.5 measures grit; some bone meal and a scattering of charcoal powder (last one an overhang from my Auricula growing days-supposed to keep the compost sweet). I used to use Perlite but it's such a silly price these days.

Like you I'm never certain about burying or not so I usually give 'em all a shallow burial. Grit top covering. I like your 'slight tilt' idea, too late for me though as, apart from 6 more pots all mine are done.

Do you water any of them over the Summer?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Carolyn

« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2017, 08:40:56 PM »
quote author=Graeme link=topic=14983.msg379676#msg379676 date=1500106195]
been collecting seed today off the plants and I have noticed that a lot of them are waking up - seems a bit early - Hederifolium Stargazer looks like it is going to flower soon (too early.....)

Quite late compared to some of mine out in the garden! First hederifolium to flower in the garden was on June 8th.  We had about 6 weeks with lots of sun and almost no rain, then a good soaking, which was enough to trigger the flowers. It's only the younger tubers which have done this, the ones which are maybe 3 years from seed. The more mature ones have more sense and are waiting till August, I hope.

Tips for early flowering? I've had coum flower a year from sowing. I think my hederifolium normally flower after 2 years. I use the "Reading method" - for those who don't know about this, google it to find out. I also try to keep the seedlings growing right through their first summer, with no dormant period. How long do your hederifolium take from seed, Graeme?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 08:48:52 PM by Maggi Young »
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Graeme

« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2017, 09:17:46 PM »
Mine not too different from yours Graeme: 2 measures JI No. 3; 1 measure composted bark; 1.5 measures sharp sand; 1.5 measures grit; some bone meal and a scattering of charcoal powder (last one an overhang from my Auricula growing days-supposed to keep the compost sweet). I used to use Perlite but it's such a silly price these days.

Like you I'm never certain about burying or not so I usually give 'em all a shallow burial. Grit top covering. I like your 'slight tilt' idea, too late for me though as, apart from 6 more pots all mine are done.

Do you water any of them over the Summer?
  mine is also leftover from auricula growing days - I do have some bags of fine composted bark and will add some this year

I don't get onto the repotting till at least the end of next month

They do get a slight water over summer but just down the side of the pots never anywhere near the growing points - I will post a picture of my watering wand at some stage made from bits of watering parts from screwfix

Graeme

« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2017, 09:29:05 PM »
Quite late compared to some of mine out in the garden! First hederifolium to flower in the garden was on June 8th.  We had about 6 weeks with lots of sun and almost no rain, then a good soaking, which was enough to trigger the flowers. It's only the younger tubers which have done this, the ones which are maybe 3 years from seed. The more mature ones have more sense and are waiting till August, I hope.

Tips for early flowering? I've had coum flower a year from sowing. I think my hederifolium normally flower after 2 years. I use the "Reading method" - for those who don't know about this, google it to find out. I also try to keep the seedlings growing right through their first summer, with no dormant period. How long do your hederifolium take from seed, Graeme?
hi Carolyn - I don't have any plants outside they are all in one of the alpine houses - so don't get much water in summer.

Coum I usually get flowers within the year - and I keep the seed trays under the benching to keep them in growth as much as I can - I am getting really good germination in the plunge beds as well for the seed I miss.  Hederifolium usually 2-3 years before I get flowers again I keep them in growth as much as I can when they are small.  If anyone has any tips on getting them to grow quicker - I suppose I am a bit impatient :)

I have been treating them to superthrive in the water and this seems to have built them up a bit

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal