We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Anemone obtusiloba?  (Read 3809 times)

Tristan_He

Anemone obtusiloba?
« on: May 19, 2016, 11:54:08 PM »
Does anyone out there know about this group of anemones? I bought two plants under this name from Aberconwy, described as 'Big Blue' and a yellow form.

534834-0

534836-1

The yellow form, as you can see, has sulphur yellow flowers with 5-7 petals and unmarked, glossy green trilobed leaves, and rather a lax habit.

534838-2

534840-3

534842-4

'Big Blue' on the other hand, larger blue flowers with 8-9 petals, and has leaves that are broadly 5-lobed, each of which is then further subdivided and marked with whitish spots. According to Keith the two forms don't cross.

These look like seperate species. Anybody know?

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Anemone obtusiloba?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 01:02:45 AM »
I don't know about separate species but I do know that the blue varies quite a lot. The form we have here in NZ tends to have less full flowers than yours, of clear blue and on much longer stems which stand out from the centre of the plants. I haven't seen a yellow. They both look very attractive.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

alanelliott

• Flora of Nepal
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 02:27:31 PM »
Anemone from the Himalaya are a bit of a taxonomic mess. At the moment, and it has been a long moment, A obtusiloba is classed as a very variable species because it ranges from the Tianshan through the Himalaya to the SW China.

The "usual colour form" found in the range is white to purple but these colours mix in populations. However in the W Himalaya there seems to be a fixed yellow population. Flower size and density of hairs on the plants are variable across the range and historically led to a number of different names that are no longer used. Basal leaf difference have been used in Flora of China to differentiate varieties in the Chinese flora.

I notice your bluey-purple have some extra sepals, 5or 6 is usual for A. obtusiloba with 7 or 8 an exception.

Long story short think your safe to call both A. obtusiloba although there is some doubling going on with your bluey one.

Not sure this is of any help
Al
Living Collection Researcher at the Botanics
Twitter: @alan_elliott

Tristan_He

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 06:38:17 PM »
Thanks Alan. Sound like there is scope for more work and perhaps DNA analysis here. I haven't tried to cross the two varieties myself but given the morphological differences, if the two forms also won't cross then it does suggest that they could be taxonomically different. I had a look in the key in the Flora of China and can't really find a convincing match with the blue one, though as you say the concept of A. obtusiloba seems very broad!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 08:13:15 PM »
Search the plant inthe forum search facility and as well as the yellow,  you'll see a whole range of blues shown with that name - it's a variable thing and no mistake !
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

alanelliott

• Flora of Nepal
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 02:44:12 PM »
Thanks Alan. Sound like there is scope for more work and perhaps DNA analysis here. I haven't tried to cross the two varieties myself but given the morphological differences, if the two forms also won't cross then it does suggest that they could be taxonomically different. I had a look in the key in the Flora of China and can't really find a convincing match with the blue one, though as you say the concept of A. obtusiloba seems very broad!

Aye a ton of scope problem is that there would need to be multiple samples from multiple population across the massive range to achieve anything meaningful. In the mean time it'll remain a bucket species.

Have a look at the Flora of Pakistan which has the western end of the Himalaya to China's predominantly east.
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=200007463
Living Collection Researcher at the Botanics
Twitter: @alan_elliott

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 08:10:52 AM »
I have been growing Anemone obtusiloba, which is very variable in shape and size,  Anemone trullifolia just blue and white with suggested hybrids one such is Anemone x Pradesh a supposed hybrid between A. obtusiloba and A. trullifolia all superb long flowering garden worthy plants. cheers Ian the Christie kind
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 08:18:04 AM »
I have grown Anemone obtusiloba for years very variable in size and colour also Anemone trullifolia usually blue and white 2 different hybrids Anemone x Pradesh and one I made all superb garden plants mine are from seed which I sow when it is ripe (soon),  cheers Ian the Christie kind
from Kirriemuir

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 08:19:26 AM »
next
from Kirriemuir

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 11:29:50 AM »
This discussion is reason for me to send an additional question.
I acquired the plant pictured below from a Dutch nursery. It was termed as ' Anemone species China ' species unknown.
I believe the plant, just in flower, is quite similar to the pics shown here.

May I call it Anemone obtusiloba then?

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal