We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: May 2016 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 27458 times)

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
Re: May 2016 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #195 on: May 27, 2016, 12:22:11 PM »
Clematis 'Pink Champagne'.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #196 on: May 27, 2016, 07:37:30 PM »
I planted one specimen of Potentilla erecta found everywhere and one very compact specimen I found near the sea just to compare the growth when grown under the same conditions.

The common form has very long internodes as expected but the other one has preserved its compact form. The leaves are a bit smaller also. If the last one keeps it dense form and develops the compact cushion-like shape it had where I found it I think it is garden worthy.

Dense form (well, much denser than the common one anyway)

536167-0

Normal form (with a Veronica)

536169-1

Edraianthus sp.

536171-2

Ranunculus parnassifolius

536173-3

Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #197 on: May 27, 2016, 08:11:43 PM »
before the thunders i took a walk in the garden with my old russian lens Helios 44

Dianthus erinaceus var alpinus, seeds collected in Anatolia
Dianthus deltoides
Anemone narcissiflora
Silene suksdorfii, a favorite one
Geum x 'Mai Tai'
North of France

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #198 on: May 27, 2016, 08:28:04 PM »
I planted one specimen of Potentilla erecta found everywhere and one very compact specimen I found near the sea just to compare the growth when grown under the same conditions.

The common form has very long internodes as expected but the other one has preserved its compact form. The leaves are a bit smaller also. If the last one keeps it dense form and develops the compact cushion-like shape it had where I found it I think it is garden worthy.

Trond,

I have found this true for some, but not all, variants here in California. The best and most compact forms of Eriogonum wrightii ssp subscaposum grow at the highest elevations. They have retained this habit even much lower elevations, such as at the farm. I am trying them at Sacramento garden to see how they perform here in the valley.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

astragalus

« Reply #199 on: May 27, 2016, 08:58:53 PM »
Robert, Eriogonum wrightii ssp subscaposum was here in the garden for years and was one of my favorites, such a different kind of eriogonum.  Grew it from seed and had a number of plants which were killed when the garden was hit by a tornado years ago (along with all the other gems in the garden!).
If you should ever have seed you can share please let me know.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #200 on: May 28, 2016, 03:06:33 AM »
Just one image, a bit funny: P. sieboldii 'Late Snow' in full flower - today's temperature 28C, tomorrow 32C ??? The month of May in Ontario.
536229-0
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Excelsior

• Look down! Thats where the magic happens!
« Reply #201 on: May 28, 2016, 12:08:48 PM »
Found this bicolor flowered Viola today. Its either Viola canina or V. riviniana, or perhaps a hybrid of the two?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 12:42:51 PM by Excelsior »
Growing on the edge, 560 m.a.s.l.

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #202 on: May 28, 2016, 06:09:12 PM »
Robert, Eriogonum wrightii ssp subscaposum was here in the garden for years and was one of my favorites, such a different kind of eriogonum.  Grew it from seed and had a number of plants which were killed when the garden was hit by a tornado years ago (along with all the other gems in the garden!).
If you should ever have seed you can share please let me know.

Anne,

The tight compact forms of Eriogonum wrightii ssp. subscaposum are wonderful plants. The tight, gray-green buns look great during the growing season (so far all the forms I grow look somewhat dead during the winter) and the spikes of late season white to soft pink flowers are nice when highlighted with the right companion plants or back drop.

There has been considerable seedling variation in the plants grown from other populations. They all have been larger in their habit of growth but still well within the limits of spp. subscaposum.

I would be wise for me not to make any promises, however the possibility of gathering seed of the "compact" form is very likely. The slightly larger forms are very commonly seen in our area. Gathering seed from them is even easier. I'll let you know what I come up with at the end of September.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

astragalus

« Reply #203 on: May 28, 2016, 08:33:34 PM »
Robert, the form I grew was fairly compact but what struck me was the arching sprays of blooms, unlike other eriogonums I knew at the time.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

monocotman

« Reply #204 on: May 29, 2016, 09:48:13 AM »
Eighteen months ago we took the plunge and got rid of the ugly leylandii hedge in the front garden. The only large plant left was a magnolia. Best thing we ever did.
It opened up the whole plot. A lorry load of gravel went across the parking and path areas.
Since we are in that part of the world, I have been going for the 'Beth chatto' dry garden look.
So there are euphorbia characias seedlings, escholzias, alliums, irises, rock roses and a few tulips for early colour. Plus my favourite grasses, stipa gigantea and tenuissima.
Everything is seedling itself around with abandon and I love it.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/39664958@N03/21WZtx

https://www.flickr.com/gp/39664958@N03/w19Q2G

https://www.flickr.com/gp/39664958@N03/hi73ns

Regards,

David
'remember that life is a shipwreck, but we must always remember to sing in the life boats'

Heard recently on radio 4

meanie

« Reply #205 on: May 29, 2016, 02:26:33 PM »
Eighteen months ago we took the plunge and got rid of the ugly leylandii hedge in the front garden......................... So there are euphorbia characias seedlings, escholzias, alliums, irises, rock roses and a few tulips for early colour. Plus my favourite grasses, stipa gigantea and tenuissima.
Everything is seedling itself around with abandon and I love it.

David
Nice to see Asphodeline getting a look in! That rapidly fills a hole!

The first of my Salvia is in bloom and it is the winter blooming S.gesneriiflora..................

West Oxon where it gets cold!

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #206 on: May 29, 2016, 02:28:28 PM »
David,  what a wonderful effect!  The colours are blazing, yet the setting brings them into a beautiful harmony.  Have you thought of adding some of the fussier desert iris such as oncocyclus or regelia.  They may well love it, especuially the regelia section. Paul Christian has quite a few this season.

J.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

monocotman

« Reply #207 on: May 29, 2016, 08:15:15 PM »
Jamie,

Thanks, I already have a nice group of iris magnifica Alba in there, moved from a clump elsewhere in the garden. I would love an onco or two but they would not like our summer rain.
I will definitely add a couple of other forms of magnifica and maybe graeberiana,

David
'remember that life is a shipwreck, but we must always remember to sing in the life boats'

Heard recently on radio 4

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #208 on: May 29, 2016, 09:02:22 PM »
Few woodland species for the end of May:
Mitella diphylla
Medeola virginiana
Trientalis borealis and something more colourful - Cypripedium parviflorum

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #209 on: May 30, 2016, 03:13:06 AM »
Few woodland species for the end of May: Medeola virginiana

One of my absolute favourites.  Native here too and very plentiful in my southern garden where it grows out in full sun, not that there is a lot of sun down there mind you.  And nobody ever notices it.

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal