We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Oncos in Flower...  (Read 51392 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Oncos in Flower...
« Reply #165 on: August 17, 2008, 04:42:06 PM »
Pat,

And there'll be others of us there as well, just to make sure she keeps it all nice.  ;D  We'll be watching you Lesley!! (Mwaa Haa Haa!!)  :P

Paul, for your post I think you needed one of these  gifs......

81283-0

81284-1

81285-2

or even this one

« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 04:44:57 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #166 on: August 18, 2008, 01:02:46 AM »
Maggi,

Yes, but I don't know how to insert those in my postings.... like the hurling ones you gave me the other day.  My attempt at an evil laugh in print obviously worked though, because you knew what I was talking about.  I'm assuming you're getting those from somewhere else and inserting them directly as attachthumb or something like that?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

arillady

« Reply #167 on: August 18, 2008, 11:50:09 AM »
Another aril starting to bloom.
I have a niggly feeling that the last photos I posted while labelled Iris haynei were showing more Iris atropurpurea features than Iris haynei.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #168 on: August 18, 2008, 12:25:37 PM »
Just stunning Pat.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #169 on: August 18, 2008, 01:11:26 PM »
Just stunning Pat.

Ashley

You took my words away.  How many more are there to take our breath away.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Miriam

• Artistically inclined agronomist
« Reply #170 on: August 18, 2008, 01:20:15 PM »
Amazing!

Pat, I think that the Iris in the pictures that you have posted is Iris haynei. It is darker than the common Iris haynei but it is most certainly not Iris atropurpurea which has reddish-brown shade and not purple shade.

Best wishes,
Miriam
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 01:54:24 PM by Miriam »
Rehovot, Israel

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #171 on: August 18, 2008, 01:28:25 PM »
Pat,

Oh that mariae hybrid..... I am positively drooling.  That speckling, that colour combination.... to die for!!!!!!  :o

Miriam,

Impressive picture of a gloriously flowering clump.  Beautiful.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #172 on: August 18, 2008, 01:33:18 PM »
These Iris are so elegantly glamorous..... exquisite, every one ....reeking of star quality.... especially the black ones.... very Hollywood 8)

Paul, right click on the little funny icons and save them to your pc... then as you rightly surmise, include them with the attachthum trick....have fun!

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #173 on: August 18, 2008, 01:56:49 PM »
Maggi,

Thanks for the info.  But doesn't that mean there are just more and more copies of the same thing stored every time it is used?  Now I have to remember where the other hurl icons you gave me are.  ::)  I have to do EVERYTHING!!  :o :P
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #174 on: August 18, 2008, 09:59:16 PM »
Pat, can we have a pic of your hybrid side-on please?

Miriam, how wonderful it must be in Israel just to walk down a road and see such a plant flowering at the edge there. Even if it doesn't happen ALL the time, such a sight must make your day?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #175 on: August 18, 2008, 10:02:31 PM »

Paul, right click on the little funny icons and save them to your pc... then as you rightly surmise, include them with the attachthum trick....have fun!

When I do that I get a little box saying "The system cannot find the file specified." as it does with all Forum pics.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #176 on: August 18, 2008, 10:13:36 PM »

When I do that I get a little box saying "The system cannot find the file specified." as it does with all Forum pics.

OOP! So sorry, folks, I am wrong here.... the method I suggest is how I grab the smileys from other places!  :-[
To save them from here, as with photos, is to click to "copy" then  paste into document or your photo management system and get access to be able to save them that way.
 Sorry for mistake!

arillady

« Reply #177 on: August 19, 2008, 12:27:31 AM »
Miriam,
I just had a niggling feeling with the Iris haynei photos because of the yellow throat but they are much taller than my Iris atropurpureas are usually. Thanks for confirming that it is Iris haynei - the other clone I grow looks like Iris haynei from the books. One day I will get to Israel to see them in the flesh. Glad to have you on the forum to tell me if my arils are correctly labelled. I get so much more from actually seeing a named plant than trying to recognise it from the book descriptions. I think little bits of info filler into the back reaches of your brain and these are the bits that help you to recognise a plant.
Lesley I should be able to get a photo side on today - yesterday it was still opening
And replying to an earlier post Lesley - your talk will teach so much on a much wider range of plants than I can grow here - so no to doing your talk. Must take out my slide camera today to take some photos too.
From the reactions I am reading from my postings I can see some people falling too like I did when I first saw an aril flowering. That feeling of utter amazement that Mother Nature can create something so intricately dotted and veined. Especially with the sun behind them.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #178 on: August 19, 2008, 12:34:04 AM »

Lesley,

It's a setting on your computer then, because I can right click and save any picture here on the forums without a problem if I want to (I saved the smileys without a hassle).  You probably have a security setting on your web browser that needs changing.

Pat,

I'm looking forward to the side on pic as well.   8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #179 on: August 19, 2008, 09:48:21 AM »
Miriam,
I just had a niggling feeling with the Iris haynei photos because of the yellow throat but they are much taller than my Iris atropurpureas are usually. Thanks for confirming that it is Iris haynei - the other clone I grow looks like Iris haynei from the books. One day I will get to Israel to see them in the flesh. Glad to have you on the forum to tell me if my arils are correctly labelled. I get so much more from actually seeing a named plant than trying to recognise it from the book descriptions. I think little bits of info filler into the back reaches of your brain and these are the bits that help you to recognise a plant.

Pat,

I agree with you, this is probably an hybrid, [I tend to think that there is more of I atrofusca in yours]
I haynei doesn't have this yellow throat, and is more robust and quite short, during the years many hybrids of onco. were introduced for garden use  in Israel,  in some it is easy to trace parents characters while others lost these characters completely.
Attached pics of the true species, I haynei and I atrofusca.

Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal