We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2016 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 108271 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2016 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #150 on: March 19, 2016, 02:08:57 PM »
David, Maggi -

A return to average precipitation has prompted the California flora into a more typical cycle of growth, regeneration, and bloom. The signs are everywhere. At the lower elevations, the wildflower bloom is certainly an improvement over what we have seen in the past few years. From experience, the wildflowers in the higher terrain will most likely be stunning this season. I know that I can not wait, however everything in its time. Best to enjoy the moment, which is spectacular in the right locations currently.

I sincerely believe that many of our California native species have practical horticultural value in the U.K. and beyond. Certainly many have been around and improved upon over the years. I hope to start a Mimulus thread soon - i.e. share my experiences of growing plants from this genus in our garden. I would definitely like to hear the experiences of others.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #151 on: March 19, 2016, 09:31:55 PM »
Robert,

I am glad you took the scenic route :)

I am back at our cabin these days. No blooming here! Still a lot of snow although it is less than in a "normal" year. But we can have snowfall all April up here.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #152 on: March 20, 2016, 03:59:27 AM »
Chaparral Survey
Part I - Greenstone Serpentine Outcrop

Thursday, 17 March 2016

Weather: Clear
Temperature, High:77 F (25 C), Low:41 F (5 C)

This survey started just down the road from our farm. 1/3 of a mile (.54 km) south of the farm the serpentine bed rock surfaces creating an open expanse about 2 to 3 acres in size. This is a unique environment for plants. The soil (what there is of it) is poor in nutrients and somewhat toxic. Only specialized native plants can survive here. There are very few invasive species to compete with the native plants. For the most part all the nasty species such as Bromus diandrus (Ripgut Brome - well named), Hordeum murinum, Avena barbata, Erodium botrys, and a host of others will not grow here.

With ample precipitation the natives are thriving.

A fracture in the rock has created this seep. Mimulus guttatus is thriving. Last year during the drought there may have been one or two blooming plants.

This year there is a spectacular display.

Sharing the rock face with the Monkeyflowers (Mimulus) were Blue Dicks, Dichelostemma capitatum. Where the two species blended nature had created a beautiful color contrast.

At the base of the rock face close to some standing water grew one of our native clovers, Trifolium variegatum.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #153 on: March 20, 2016, 04:16:58 AM »

Mimulus guttatus is a very common species in our area. It is found where ever there is abundant moisture such as springs, seasonal creeks and seeps such as this one. They are also found over a considerable altitude range.

I was extremely pleased to find Gilia tricolor in bloom. I had not seen this species at this site for many years and was concerned they may have given-up. The population was quite small, but I am optimistic they will regenerate now.

The population of Trifolium variegatum was quite small too. This species is generally an annual, however it can be a short lived perennial were moisture persists. This site gets extremely dry during the summer so hopefully they will seed around and spread too.

Above the road cut is where the best wildflower display is located.

Even during the drought years there were always some wildflowers. Needless to say, this is the best wildflower showing since the spring of 2011.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #154 on: March 20, 2016, 04:36:02 AM »

The dominant species in this sea of gold is Goldfields, Lasthenia californica.

Lasthenia is an annual Asteraceae. This time of year they create large swathes of color throughout the countryside. Unfortunately this only occurs where the natural habitat is relatively undisturbed. With all of the development there are not very many of these sites remaining.

Mixed with the Goldfields are Cream Cups, Platystemon californicus. This small annual Papaveraceae is quite showy. I enjoy their bristley - hairy foliage and, of coarse, the flowers. The flowers open and close each day with the sun. This day was very sunny and the flowers were wide open.

Smaller areas were cover with "Butter and Eggs", Triphysaria eriantha.

This annual is also a very common species in our area, sometimes creating large swathes of solid color.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #155 on: March 20, 2016, 05:09:15 AM »

Blue Dick, Dichelostemma capitatum were abundant above the road cut too. In places they reached near perfection - large colonies with many flowers. This is only the first wave of Themidaceae at this site. Later in the season where will be huge swathes of Brodiaea minor and a few scattered Bordiaea elegans in bloom.

Our state flower, Eschscholzia californica were scattered here and there throughout the site. This is one of three species of Eschscholzia that grow in our area. The three species are all very distinct from each other when observed closely.

Not abundant at this site was Lomatium utriculatum. I feel that most of our native Lomatium species are quite attractive and well worth cultivating in the garden. They also make a very strong and effective medicine useful in treating viruses.

It was a little too early in the season to see blossoms on Lewisia rediviva.

I have been observing this species at this site since the early 1980's. Back then this site was going to be leveled for a manufacturing plant. At a political meeting I brought to the attention of the governing body that this was one of the few sites within the county were this species occurs. I doubt that my comments made any difference, but at least there is no manufacturing plant here or even near by.

This site is still private property. A few years ago, I met the current owner and he has allowed to continue my study of the plants at this site. It is a treasure to have such a place within easy walking distance from the farm.

As for the Lewisia, they are thriving this year. Their population is has remained stable over the past 3-1/2 decades - not much increase or decrease. They do set viable seed, however I have rarely noticed much regeneration from seed.

Next to come, Part II - The Gabbro based soils near Pine Hill and our local endemic Ceanothus roderickii.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #156 on: March 20, 2016, 05:26:20 AM »
Robert,

I am glad you took the scenic route :)

I am back at our cabin these days. No blooming here! Still a lot of snow although it is less than in a "normal" year. But we can have snowfall all April up here.

Trond,

Enjoy your time at the cabin.  :)

I was up on Peavine Ridge today, 5,000 feet elevation (1,524 meters). Generally there is about 1 meter of snow up there this time of year. Basically there was no snow.  ???  I did not think that the last series of storms we had in early March were that warm! Climate change? Perhaps.  :-\  Regardless, it would have been better to see more snow at this elevation.

I did take some photographs, but all of this will have to wait until I am finished with the current report. The Arctostaphylos are very interesting in this area. I have been doing considerable sampling. Also, many Primula (Dodecatheon) hendersonii and Viola purpurea. The most I have ever observed in this area. They will be blooming in about a month or less.  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #157 on: March 20, 2016, 12:25:09 PM »
The sheer scale of colour from the displays these annual plants can produce in a good season is  just breath-taking. I am so pleased you take the time and trouble to show these to us, Robert.  Proof if any were needed that wildflowers are just  sublime.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #158 on: March 20, 2016, 07:59:31 PM »
Glorious blooming Robert! This year will go on record I understand. Lucky us - thanks for showing  :)
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Robert

« Reply #159 on: March 21, 2016, 04:03:22 AM »
Part II
Pine Hill Preserve - Gabbro based soil complex

Between the towns of Shingle Springs and the lower end of Cameron Park runs a band of Gabbro based soil. This band runs more or less north - south from a point south of Shingle Springs northward encompassing Pine Hill, hence north to the northern ridge top above the South Fork of the American River. A considerable number of endemic species grow here. The area is under considerable pressure from housing development. Fortunately large tracts of land have been protected as the Pine Hill Preserve and a small portion is protected as part of Folsom Lake State Park.

The freeway (U.S. 50) cuts through this area. Ceanothus roderickii grows next to the freeway and is easy to spot when in bloom, as one zooms along. I travel this route very frequently so when I spotted them blooming I knew it was time to check elsewhere in the Preserve to see how they were doing.

I started this part of the outing at 1,429 feet (436 meters) where a road dead-ends at the Preserve. Most of the area is covered with low elevation chaparral. Salvia sonomensis (picutured) grows abundantly under the chaparral over-story, predominantly Chamise, Adenostoma fasciculatum, and White-Leaf Manzanita, Arctostaphylos viscida.

Scattered throughout the chaparral are Western Redbud, Cercis occidentalis.

Most had nearly finished blooming, however a few were still in their prime.

I knew exactly where locate Ceanothus roderickii and only had a short distance to hike (.5 miles, .8 km).

Most often Ceanothus roderickii blooms with white flowers, however a fair percentage have pale blue flowers. This species has a very low and mounding growth habit and at times is also seen creeping flat along the ground. The only other Ceanothus species I have ever seen in this area is Ceanothus lemmonii, a real beauty that blooms a bit later.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 04:07:13 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #160 on: March 21, 2016, 04:26:25 AM »

Despite being protected as a Preserve this area is under considerable pressure from "off road vehicles". Driving them in the area is illegal, however keeping them out is very difficult to enforce. Ones sees a considerable amount of damage from their activities. Illegal dumping of waste is also an issue. It is easy to observe the invasive species getting a toe hold where this dumping has been going on.

There was a considerable amount I wanted to accomplish this day so I quickly hiked back to the truck, hopefully to find a more promising site to explore for plants.

On the way I spotted many Soap Plants, Chlorogalum pomeridianum.

Where ever there is considerable seasonal water one can find Iris-leaved Rush, Juncus xiphioides. In foliage it does indeed look very much like an Iris. It spreads by rhizomes and can be quite numerous where there is abundant seasonal moisture. In areas where it becomes extremely dry in the summer they disappear for the summer with water, returning when the rains return.

As stated there was much I wanted to accomplish so quickly I moved on.

To be continued with Part III..........
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 04:30:07 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #161 on: March 21, 2016, 04:55:09 AM »
Glorious blooming Robert! This year will go on record I understand. Lucky us - thanks for showing  :)

Gabriela,

The record year applies to Death Valley, or at least this is my understanding. Around here, the spring bloom is just getting back to "normal", although many seem to have short memories (especially our local news media) and think what is going on locally is something special.

There are some special events that I have observed. Two years ago a large tract of open grassland near the Sacramento Valley burned. This acreage had been range land for cattle and never was special as far as wildflowers are concerned. A developer bought the land hoping to build houses. The drought and water shortages brought an end to this project and the cattle have been off the land for two years. This year there has been an explosion of wildflowers on this site. How I wish that I had time to study this phenomena and had millions to purchase the land and preserve this.

There are some features of this site that make it special too. It is one of the few sites with a natural spring that flows abundantly at all seasons. A grove of Fremont Cottonwood (Populus fremontii) grow near the spring. As a young boy I remember the shepherd had wagon house that he lived in (then - 1960's, this was out in the middle of nowhere). Much has changed now of coarse, but in my fantasies I would love to preserve this huge tract of land despite the fact that there is a large housing tract on one side and a freeway on another side (the other two sides are open for miles).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 05:02:45 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #162 on: March 21, 2016, 05:00:21 AM »
The sheer scale of colour from the displays these annual plants can produce in a good season is  just breath-taking. I am so pleased you take the time and trouble to show these to us, Robert.  Proof if any were needed that wildflowers are just  sublime.

Maggi,

I am very pleased to contribute what ever I can.  :)  I have much planned into the future and wish to continue. My wish is that many others can benefit from my efforts.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #163 on: March 21, 2016, 07:08:07 AM »

. . . . . How I wish that I had time to study this phenomena and had millions to purchase the land and preserve this.

Robert,

I really wish you had :)

It is early morning and I am the only one awake so far. I use the undisturbed morning to read through your thread. All the colours lift my spirit! (Although it sinks a bit when reading about land "development".) Up here the ground is still covered by a couple feet of white snow. The spring is still at least a month away!
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

ArnoldT

« Reply #164 on: March 21, 2016, 10:28:47 AM »
Robert:

I don't want to clog up the site but the images are just wonderful.

We had a dusting of snow here this morning.

Happy Spring to everyone.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal