We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Winter Weather 2016  (Read 12174 times)

Roma

Winter Weather 2016
« on: January 07, 2016, 11:56:06 AM »
I am surprised no-one has started this topic yet.  Maybe the weather is just too awful to mention.  I think it started raining here on New Year's night and has not stopped since.  Yesterday was not too bad.  Less wind and lighter rain.  Today it is back to a strong south easterly with heavy rain.  The 'pond' in my brother's garden next door was down yesterday and is smaller again today.  Several roads along the River Don were closed.  I'm not sure if any are open yet.  The road across the Don at Kintore floods most winters but this time two of the alternative routes are closed too making a longer journey for people who work at Dyce or Bridge of Don.  At least there has not been the devastation caused by the River Dee though some houses have been flooded.  I lost six panes of glass from the greenhouse around christmas time and a number of trees were blown down in the wood at the back of the house.  After struggling tiptoeing through puddles with a leaky wellie I got a new pair on Tuesday.
I think I maybe should have put this in the moan thread.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 12:04:25 PM by Maggi Young »
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Winter Weather 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 01:12:01 PM »
....................Maybe the weather is just too awful to mention.......................

It's some weeks now since I was able to do anything outside.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 02:23:23 PM »
It's very nearly some weeks since I was outside!  :'(
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Roma

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 03:02:20 PM »
It's really lashing now and I have to go out and feed the ponies in a few minutes.  I see the water is well up in my brother's garden again.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Jacek

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 03:50:31 PM »
All UK and Norwegian friends. You have so much rain because you have stolen it from us! ;)

Seriously. We are not so far from you (2-2,5 hour flight) and we are experiencing long-term drought. It started last winter (without any snow), continued throughout all warm season worsened by temperatures much higher than normal. Now is winter again and no snow again. With our sandy soils and type of climate snow is important to replenish soil water.

Smaller streams and ditches are completely dry since months.

Please, give some of this water back to us...
Jacek, Poland, USDA zone 6, lowland borderline continental/maritime climate.
Hobby woodland gardening

Darren

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 09:49:16 PM »
You would be very welcome to take our rain Jacek.

Oddly enough this has been our best week of weather for a long time. Several days with at least some sun, yesterday being especially nice. Of course it is no use to me as l've been back at work this week! When I finally see the greenhouse in daylight again on Saturday I might even need to water.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 10:50:09 AM »
Think there should have been an ironic smile attached to that last comment Darren ;)
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Darren

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 12:52:30 PM »
Probably Shelagh  :)

However - I was almost serious. I've a lot of South African bulbs and things like Ranunculus asiaticus which are in full growth and are quite thirsty on sunny, mild winter days.

I'm horrified by the reports of flooding in Aberdeen and surrounding area and hope the Aberdonian forumists are OK?
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 01:50:32 PM »
The situation  in Aberdeen and shire is worse than I ever remember - but  I don't think any members are in danger. Inconvenienced probably, but not in danger or with their  home  flooded.   I hope to goodness I'm correct on that.
 It's dry today in the city. Last night at ten pm there was torrential rain ( -  we've had rain  for some days of course) and at half past midnight there was a couple of inches of  snow  in our street.  Mostly melted overnight but nasty  slush everywhere - what a horrible spell it's been so far this winter.  Even when it's been mild it's been soggy.

But when you see reports of flooding, tornadoes, fires, and war - it all fades into  perspective.  Nt that that thought is cheering in any way.

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 02:49:06 PM »
Are you getting better, Maggi? Ian wrote that you laid up with a bad cold several days ago.
Don't overwork yourself since you've just recovered ;)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 03:13:45 PM by YT »
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 03:37:02 PM »
 I'm better than I was, Tatsuo, thank you -  lots of work to do though, so had long enough time off. 

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 09:39:22 AM »
Last week it was -20 - -27°C, and about 5cm snow. Now "only" -13°C, but its going to be colder again next week. I doubt that I will see any snowdrops until April this year. :( I don't worry very much over perennial plants, but I don't know how Helleborus buds will take these temperatures and I'm sure I will have some losses in young Rhododendrons and loss of flowering next spring.
Leena from south of Finland

Chris Johnson

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 03:51:13 PM »
For once I'm not wittering about the wind and wet. We have just had the most glorious day, little wind and 'sunshine'. Ideal for a 4-mile coastal walk, doing a bird survey for the BTO.
I can see tonight's 'front' moving in from the south-east, but today will last in the memory for a while.
South Uist, Outer Hebrides

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2016, 03:58:06 PM »
For once I'm not wittering about the wind and wet. We have just had the most glorious day, little wind and 'sunshine'. Ideal for a 4-mile coastal walk, doing a bird survey for the BTO.
I can see tonight's 'front' moving in from the south-east, but today will last in the memory for a while.

.......... Whilst here it' s rained in Biblical proportionsfor the whole of the day. I turned the light on at breakfast time in order to be able to read the paper and it's been on ever since. SRGC Maggi!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2016, 04:13:58 PM »
"SRGC Maggi!" .....Stinking Rotten God-awful Climate as you said, David -  or
 Stormy Really Gruesome Conditions......  the list is endless.  :'(

Good that Chris had a chance to enjoy a brief respite  before the next onslaught, tho' !!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal