We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula-February to April 2008  (Read 70753 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Primula-February to April 2008
« Reply #240 on: April 18, 2008, 11:49:10 PM »
Lovely pics Ruweiss.

David,

That purple "show reject" is gorgeous.  Glad YOU aren't rejecting it as well.  You might not be able to show it, but you can enjoy it every day anyway!!  :D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #241 on: April 20, 2008, 02:29:21 AM »
I've never seen the white `Linda Pope' except for my own plant which I know is true. Yours looks pretty right to me Rudi, judging from the leaf shape and habit as well as from the flower; others might add something. The colour of `Amethyst' is superb.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 02:35:54 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #242 on: April 20, 2008, 11:06:02 AM »
Talking of old Prim. marginata forms and hybrids, has anyone seen P. marginata (hybrid?) 'Hyacintha' for sale recently? I used to grow it for many years, and my parents for many years before that, but it vanished in a scorching summer when I was too busy to keep my troughs watered enough and I haven't seen it in any catalogues since. It'd be a shame if it's vanished forever. It was (is?) a beauty.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #243 on: April 20, 2008, 03:05:36 PM »
Martin your question rang a bell in my tired brain.I have had this primula growing in the sand in one of my crocus greenhouses for the past 13 years.They will not grow outside with me and I put it there as a holding operation when we moved house and have never done anything with it. It is labelled 'hyacintha' and I think we originally got it from Joe Elliott 20 years ago. It is certainly the same plant but I cannot vouch for its name as I know nothing about them. A picture is below. You are welcome to a lump of it if you want it.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #244 on: April 20, 2008, 03:32:01 PM »
Thanks Tony, but what I used to grow as 'Hyacintha' didn't have that kind of very toothed, mealed typical marginata foliage - it had less toothed leaves of a paler, greener colour than usual in marginata; which makes me think it might have been a hybrid - it had very rounded flowers of a light china-blue sort of shade with a white eye, again quite unlike most marginatas.

I've just looked it up in Mary Robinson's book, Primulas, and it seems it should be called 'Hyacinthia', a marginata bred from marginata 'Beamish'. It's not listed any more in the RHS Plant Finder (only P. auricula 'Hyacinthia', which I don't think can be the same thing unless it's been reclassified as an auricula, which I doubt).

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #245 on: April 20, 2008, 04:46:50 PM »
Martin, John Richards says that Hyacinthia is a hyb of unknown parentage probably with another hyb ,got an AM in 1945. I had it growing for years in a raised bed and it might still be there but I have lost the labels. Will have a poke around tomorrow and see what I can find, much too cold today for old bones.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 04:49:19 PM by Michael J Campbell »

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #246 on: April 20, 2008, 05:07:36 PM »
Thanks, Michael. I meant to say that in the Mary Robinson book 'Hyacinthia' is listed under marginata hybrids rather than pure marginata. She mentions it being bred from 'Beamish' by G.H. Berry in 1943 (presumably the seed parent) but doesn't say what the other parent was. From the look of the leaves and flowers (from memory) I'd say the other parent almost certainly wasn't another marginata. It certainly looks nothing like 'Beamish'. Probably crossed with a pubescens hybrid.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #247 on: April 20, 2008, 07:07:01 PM »
Talking of old Prim. marginata forms and hybrids, has anyone seen P. marginata (hybrid?) 'Hyacintha' for sale recently? I used to grow it for many years, and my parents for many years before that, but it vanished in a scorching summer when I was too busy to keep my troughs watered enough and I haven't seen it in any catalogues since. It'd be a shame if it's vanished forever. It was (is?) a beauty.

Martin, I believe that this is the plant you mean.
We used to grow it in our nursery by the hundreds in pots, but maybe at the wrong time,
because we could not sell them here then.
I only have this little plant left, but it does'n't like our sandy soil, pH 6.5 , will need more acid soil, I think.
Other marginata like  Pr. marg. Crenata and Pt. Linda Pope do like it seemingly here.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

johanneshoeller

« Reply #248 on: April 20, 2008, 07:43:10 PM »
Some own hybrids in my garden (seed of wild collected plants - in my garden, most from auricula).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 07:45:56 PM by johanneshoeller »
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #249 on: April 20, 2008, 07:58:37 PM »
Yes that's the one, Luit. Apparently it was micro-propagated at some point in the past but I don't think I ever saw it offered for sale here. Mine came from my parents who had been growing it for many years.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #250 on: April 20, 2008, 08:10:29 PM »
Hi Martin,
This is what I've been growing for over a decade as Primula 'Hyacinth'.
It might be the one you're looking for.
If we can solve the logistics you're very welcome for a piece of it.

Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #251 on: April 20, 2008, 08:21:32 PM »
Yes that's the one, Luit. Apparently it was micro-propagated at some point in the past but I don't think I ever saw it offered for sale here. Mine came from my parents who had been growing it for many years.

Yes Martin, done by an British nursery, which no longer excists, I believe.
It is still grown and sold in Belgium by the nursery of Luc's and my friends Cathy Portier who got it from me years ago.
They have a website. You'll find it by googling.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

ruweiss

« Reply #252 on: April 20, 2008, 08:59:30 PM »
Lesley,
many thanks for the confirmation of Primula White Linda Pope,I got this beauty about 15 years
ago(also Pr.marginata Amethyst)and do always some propagation to keep them in culture.
For some plants it would be a pity to be lost forever.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #253 on: April 21, 2008, 10:10:38 AM »
Hi Luc. Yes, that's marginata 'Hyacinthia'. Thank you very much; if I can't find a source for the plant in the UK then I'll send you a personal message to see if you can send me a rosette for me to root.

Casalima

• Not lost in translation
« Reply #254 on: April 21, 2008, 10:23:41 AM »
Hi Luc. Yes, that's marginata 'Hyacinthia'. Thank you very much; if I can't find a source for the plant in the UK then I'll send you a personal message to see if you can send me a rosette for me to root.

According to my "nursery catalogues" folder (i.e. catalogues randomly saved onto my computer and indexed with my magical indexing software  :) ), Lamberton offered it in 2003.

HTH

Chloë
Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal