We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula-February to April 2008  (Read 70281 times)

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
Re: Primula-February to April 2008
« Reply #195 on: April 08, 2008, 10:23:30 PM »
Is it Mount Molyneux, just outside Wolverhampton?

Very very close   :o
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #196 on: April 08, 2008, 10:28:07 PM »
Are we talking further east, steeper and awash with Paederota bonarota?  Thought so....it's the rock garden at Ashwood's Nursery!
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #197 on: April 08, 2008, 10:48:57 PM »
I thought it was misty trees. :) Diane you still need a closer up avatar. How about you and Martin R swapping pics? I mean you take one of him and he takes one of you. Both in close up without dark glasses.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #198 on: April 09, 2008, 12:23:56 AM »
I hate faceless avatars
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #199 on: April 09, 2008, 05:42:52 PM »
Wow David,

I envy your soil, looks great! ... Love wild primulas too, they are kind of a welcomed weed in our garden, just as Helleborus viridis or Aquilegia vulgaris, which is now in flower.

It's quite a rich soil Jose, but very, very stoney. I've dug out tons of the stuff in the 20 years we have been here. Luckily it is fairly neutral too so I can have a go at most stuff.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #200 on: April 09, 2008, 05:48:14 PM »
My sieboldii have seeded about and flowering now on tiny stems. David if you want one or two they're yours

Thanks for the offer Mark but I wont take you up on it, at the moment. One of my tasks for this Summer is to build a moist peaty bed which might be better for sieboldii, and indeed for vialli which also dies on me with great regularity-then I might take you up if the offer is still open. Another of my tasks is to find a site on which to build said moist peaty bed ::)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Martinr

« Reply #201 on: April 09, 2008, 06:19:58 PM »
Lesley, there's been a pretty scary close up of me recently on the forum, just not identified as such. Trust me, I was better looking, and had more hair, when I was young 8) 8) 8) :-X

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #202 on: April 09, 2008, 08:58:45 PM »
Great plants everyone !!
May I add a modest contribution in this Primula Walhalla ?

Here's my

Primula marginata "Drake's blue" - growing in a trough.
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #203 on: April 09, 2008, 10:53:26 PM »
Trust me, I was better looking, and had more hair, when I was young 8) 8) 8) :-X

Well I guess that's true of most of us. Certainly I was better looking and now, every time I brush my hair it seems that the brush only need some pointed ears and a tail attached, to look like someone's cat! ::)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #204 on: April 09, 2008, 11:04:18 PM »
I never knew there were so many P. marginatas available. We just see the same old varieties for sale here
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #205 on: April 10, 2008, 09:57:03 AM »
Nice marginata Luc. Over here it is sold as 'Drake's Form'
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #206 on: April 10, 2008, 09:59:37 AM »
I never knew there were so many P. marginatas available. We just see the same old varieties for sale here

Susan Tindall has at least four that are difficult, if not impossible, to find over here.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #207 on: April 10, 2008, 12:26:48 PM »
I'm still trying to get my head around the idea of weed Primulas.  You all should be ashamed of yourselves for even THINKING such a thing.  I wish they'd grow that easily for me.  I tell you, if David was hoeing that one out and I was able to, I'd take it!!  And any of the others he didn't want as well, and any others that any of the rest of your didn't want too!!  You're all wrong in the head!!  ;D ;D ;D

David,

Thanks for the pictures of your spreading Primula menace!  ;D  Yes, first (and now second) day went well at work, although muscles I don't recall ever having before are aching!!  ::)  I've worked out that I'm thankful I started on a Wednesday, because it means that after tomorrow I get two days off to try to recover a bit.  Imagine 5 days of this to start!!  :o

Mark,

Sorry, but still no picture of me.  I've said before, and I'll say again, Elfinraer is MUCH prettier than me.  :P
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #208 on: April 10, 2008, 07:35:48 PM »
I have 2 primulas in a trough which have lost labels, can someone identify them for me? The first I think might be Primula warshenewskiana, and I thought I did have P. clarkei, so maybe that's the second one.
The third I know, and am very fond of - 'Lady Greer', it's so small and delicate. The fourth I bought last year, and it seemed like a good idea at the time, but the stems elongate, then it has these great frilly flowers on the end  :-X it's Primula 'Francisca'
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #209 on: April 10, 2008, 07:44:27 PM »
More pics of some more of my 'weeds'. I lifted these yesterday, from a bed I use for growing Rhubarb not very successfully (I have an insatiable desire for Rhubarb crumble or just plain stewed Rhubarb but my Rhubarb growing skills are such that each time we visit my brother in Yorkshire we have to bring back masses of it for the freezer). In that bed I originally planted just two Primulas, the one shown in the first pic and one P. denticulata, all the ones shown in the other pics are self seeders and, apart from the couple just mentioned, are some yards away from any other Primulas. Although they are a little past their best they made a nice addition to a new area I am developing. Sorry Diane if these turn your stomach!

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal