We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula-February to April 2008  (Read 70757 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Primula-February to April 2008
« Reply #135 on: April 03, 2008, 08:18:18 PM »
Lovely, David. I just find it extraordinary that those plants could have travelled so many thousands of miles!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #136 on: April 03, 2008, 08:19:51 PM »
They're rather washed out David. They should have more colour perhaps as your season warms a little. Usually a good clean pink though sometimes it takes on a purplish tinge in some weather conditions. Mine are also out now, for their autumn flowering, a bonus which is given every year.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #137 on: April 03, 2008, 08:24:56 PM »
Might the difference be that David has  had these under glass , Lesley, while yours are outdoors? That would account for a paler shade to the flowers.... ::)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #138 on: April 03, 2008, 08:30:35 PM »
They're rather washed out David. They should have more colour perhaps as your season warms a little. Usually a good clean pink though sometimes it takes on a purplish tinge in some weather conditions. Mine are also out now, for their autumn flowering, a bonus which is given every year.

Lesley, could you get a pic of yours for comparison purposes? The colour of mine is pretty true eye to camera, maybe Maggi is right about mine being under glass!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #139 on: April 03, 2008, 08:33:26 PM »
Yes possibly sun burnt?

Sun burnt? in this weather? You're joking!

How are yours Anthony?

Here's a pic from last spring.

Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #140 on: April 03, 2008, 08:34:22 PM »
Well, I am usually right, am I not?...... she said, with her customary modesty :P :-X

The difference that growing under glass can make to colours is amazing... even plants which have been grown in the open ground but  lifted and kept even for a short while under glass can look quite "other".....rhododendrons are particularly prone to this sort of colour fade. :(

Yes, Lesley's is outside..... I rest my case  ;D

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #141 on: April 03, 2008, 08:43:03 PM »
Mmm! Big difference isn't there. I'd like to see Anthony's plants as well.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #142 on: April 03, 2008, 09:20:26 PM »
Here's a better photo of 'Dark Rosaline'
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #143 on: April 03, 2008, 09:25:20 PM »
I've never had it under glass or any kind of weather protection but even so, I have had the occasional stem of flowers open very pale like David's and usually they colour up within a day or two. You're right Maggi, about glass cover changing the colour of some things. I have the white `Linda Pope' (is it 'White Lady' now?) and outside as it is, there is the very faintest tinge of lavender to the flowers, around the edges. Not enough to say it's not white, but enough to say it's not PURE white. If I keep it in my tunnel over winter (which I did two years ago, hoping to bring on the flowers early enought for the NZAGS spring show), the flowers are pure white.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #144 on: April 03, 2008, 09:26:29 PM »
I like that one better Mark, the flowers look less virusy, and should look good with the dark foliage.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #145 on: April 03, 2008, 10:26:57 PM »
Lesley it will probably look better once planted out.

I have a large plant in a small pot so will be pulling it apart ina few weeks. Anyone interested?

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #146 on: April 03, 2008, 10:29:34 PM »
A few week ago I mentioned taking Primula luteola out of one of my troughs. I did so today and the job was very easy, too easy. Despite treating the trough for vive weevils the roots of this plant were destroyed. I now know why it wasnt looking happy. On Sunday I will treat all my troughs again

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #147 on: April 04, 2008, 08:48:23 AM »
Thank you all for the advice re sowing.  Very helpful.  For reference David my one remaining auricula from your seed is still in it's original sowing pot, as the three were evenly spaced when they germinated so I left them.... now just the one by itself in the pot and looking fine.  Not even vaguely game to touch it now!!  ::) ;)

Lesley,

Mine are definitely x juliana as they do not have leaves with petioles like your juliae.  Thanks for the handy pics.  I assume that x juliana comes in different colours?  Mine is a much brighter pink-purple than yours and I have seen a couple of others elsewhere here in Canberra that are different colours again.

Mark,

I wonder how many got the Teal'c reference.  You're one up on me, as I wouldn't have known how to spell it, despite being an avid viewer and having the majority on DVD.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #148 on: April 04, 2008, 10:14:52 AM »
I've never had it under glass or any kind of weather protection but even so, I have had the occasional stem of flowers open very pale like David's and usually they colour up within a day or two. You're right Maggi, about glass cover changing the colour of some things. I have the white `Linda Pope' (is it 'White Lady' now?) and outside as it is, there is the very faintest tinge of lavender to the flowers, around the edges. Not enough to say it's not white, but enough to say it's not PURE white. If I keep it in my tunnel over winter (which I did two years ago, hoping to bring on the flowers early enought for the NZAGS spring show), the flowers are pure white.

Lesley, here's my White Linda Pope/White Lady from 2007 under glass and you can see the lavander/bluish tinge on the petal edges. It has sulked this year and refuses to flower.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 10:16:24 AM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #149 on: April 04, 2008, 11:51:24 AM »
Three Primulas coming into flower in my greenhouse:  First, P. aur. 'Lemon Drop' - just bought this baby from Timpany last week, she's a beauty!  Second, P. a. 'Three Way Stripe' (where do they find these names?) not quite open, but close now, its taken over a week to get this far!  and finally, one that Sue G. gave me last year, P. a. 'Karen Caudrey'
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal