We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula-February to April 2008  (Read 70284 times)

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
Re: Primula-February to April 2008
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2008, 06:11:21 PM »
a few in flower today.
Primula  Rhenaniana
Primula Carniolica
Primula joan hughes
Primula Hiland twilight x Warfdale village- seedling
Primula hyb own seedling 003
Primula marginata seedling 001
Primula own seedling,002 I think I posted this before,but here it is again.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2008, 06:29:51 PM »
Nice Michael, I had heard of Primula Rhenaniana before but had never seen it. I can't grow a good P. carniolica to save my life.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2008, 06:34:25 PM »
Hi David,  well, I got as good a picture as I could today in the greenhouse, which, as you know, is now in deep shade from the fallen tree limb.... first Primula marginata 'Alba' - as I said, it has not flowers as yet, but today when I inspected more closely, saw a flower raceme forming so I will have eventually, and will post for you later.  Second, P. 'Clarence Elliott'.  Both plants were obtained last autumn, so I am quite pleased to have any flowers at all!

Glad to see you are becoming a Primula addict Chris! Your P. m. Alba looks a very nice plant, I was thinking before I saw it that perhaps it was a hybrid but that is definitely marginata. Clarence Elliott is a little gem.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2008, 06:57:57 PM »
Great Primula's everyone ! Thanks for showing !

Michael, that own seedling 002 looks perfect !!!
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Martijn

• Kwekerij ´De Reuvenkamp´
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2008, 07:00:54 PM »
Dear friends,

Primula marginata Alba is another plant. I am sorry to diasappoint you Chris, but the cultivar Alba is mostly a rather dirty white-fading to pink :(.

P. marginata ´Casterino´ is as far as I know the only pure white form. It is easily recognizable by the long lanceolate leafform. It is very slow growing and needs to been grown rather dry. The best one I have is in full sun between tufa.

Greetz, Martijn
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 07:17:54 PM by Maggi Young »
Martijn Jansen, Tonden, The Netherlands
www.dereuvenkamp.nl

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2008, 07:46:35 PM »
Martijn, I think there is more than one clone around from what I have read.  John Richard's in 'Primula' says 'There is also a poor whitish form' but in 'Primulas' Mary Robinson says '.....better forms do exist, one of which has very distinct pale green leaves and much whiter flowers....'
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2008, 08:02:16 PM »
I'll let you know how it looks when it flowers anyway - the specimen shown recently was very nice, not at all poor in flower colour or form, so we'll see.  I'm an optimist.....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2008, 02:00:20 AM »
Glorious pics Michael.  Just glorious!!  Your seedling 002 is amazing.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2008, 06:04:28 PM »
Thanks Paul, I have a few more from the same seed pod.

johanneshoeller

« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2008, 06:38:03 PM »
Michael,
are you sure that you have a true P. carniolica?
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2008, 07:08:50 PM »
are you sure that you have a true P. carniolica?

Just checked John Richards (Primula) and my plant does not quite fit the description, the flower should be pink with a ring of meal and pale green  hooded leaves and a 25cm flower stem.
Should have checked it before I posted. It is the Alzheimers again I suppose. ;D

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2008, 08:21:13 PM »
A few from my greenhouse today:-

Primula Helen Evans x 2
Primula Lismore Pink Ice x2
Primula Broadwell Oliver x 1 This should really have been a much bigger plant this year, but I dropped the pot when re-potting it last May and it broke into several small pieces.
Primula Broadwell Violet x 2
Two pictures of my first Auricula of the year, the Red Self-Scorcher. I'm a bit worried though, the foliage is a very light green and much lighter than I remember it last year ???

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2008, 08:31:48 PM »
Maybe light levels aren't high enough?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2008, 08:37:14 PM »
Maybe light levels aren't high enough?

Light has been difficult to come by over the last couple of weeks, but I was thinking the 'V' word Lesley?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2008, 09:03:06 PM »
Mmmm maybe, but I'd be inclined to think not. In my experience, primulas of the auricula group with a virus tend to have streaky or speckled leaves rather than the gradual yellowing towards the edges and between the veins, in yours. It almost looks like a lack of some trace element. Incidentally I have a glorious auricula called `Clifton Blue' which starts a thundercloud colour but ages to a soft almost sky blue and which does have the streaky leaves, though not heavily streaky if you know what I mean. I assume it is a virus but it's always been there and the plants remain very vigorous and free-flowering in the garden, and if it IS a virus, it has never spread to other auriculas.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal