We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Nerine 2015  (Read 8771 times)

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
Nerine 2015
« on: May 27, 2015, 09:57:51 PM »
I have recently acquired some bulbs of species Nerine, I already had N. Bowdenii and N. Undulata. I have managed to get a bulb of N. Bowdenii Alba, a few small bulbils of N.masoniorum from the seed exchange as well as a larger bulb and one each of N. angustifolia, N. Falcata, N. filifolia, N. gracilis, N. krigei and N. sarniensis. The bowdenii alba and sarniensis are good size bulbs, but the others are tiny, about the size of galanthus bulb, the foliage is grass like. hopfully I can get them to flower later in the year.

image by John Stephen Lavin, on Flickr

« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 10:01:09 PM by johnstephen29 »
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

pontus

Re: Nerine 2015
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 03:16:42 AM »
Nice selection of sp John,

i find filifolia easy and floweres every year once established, even from offsets, however. nerine falcata is one of the slowest growing bulbs i have ever had, with nerine huttonniae,

hopefully they will eventually bloom with you.

do you also grow nerine zeal giant?

Pontus

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 03:41:22 PM »
Speaking of Nerines, Nerine bowdenii 'Pink Surprise' bulbs survived our wretched winter here and surfaced a few weeks ago.  N. bowdenii ssp. wellsii just poked through about a week ago.  All are near the house foundation but 3 years ago we had the basement insulated with foam so we assumed we could very well lose the lot.  The PS flowers in November which is dicey here so hopefully the ssp. wellsii will do as promised and flower much earlier; we may well have to water to kick start them.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

johnstephen29

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 05:30:02 PM »
Hi Pontus thanks, I have never heard of N.zeal giant, is it a variety of a species? Goodluck with your nerine said john, I hope they do ok for you.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 10:19:18 AM »
Nerines are a great genus to get into, John, especially if you can spare the room in the glasshouse!
The season should be over down here but a stray dwarf one in the garden has produced a bloom.
We got this originally as Nerine filifolia but the leaf isn'y fine enough!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 10:33:08 AM »
Hi Pontus thanks, I have never heard of N.zeal giant, is it a variety of a species? Goodluck with your nerine said john, I hope they do ok for you.

John,

http://johngrimshawsgardendiary.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/not-only-pink-part-4-nerine-hybrids.html
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

johnstephen29

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 10:39:16 AM »
It's a great looking plant all the same fermi, have you tried looking on eBay for n. Filifolia  I got these plants from a seller in Bulgaria for a good price? Can you bring bulbs into your country?

johnstephen29

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 10:51:31 AM »
Thanks for the link david it looks a great plant

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 03:16:29 PM »
It's a great looking plant all the same fermi, have you tried looking on eBay for n. Filifolia  I got these plants from a seller in Bulgaria for a good price? Can you bring bulbs into your country?
Hi John,
I got the true Nerine filifolia from a friend recently.
Importing bulbs from outside Australia is extremely expensive and time consuming so not something many individuals undertake.
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 04:12:07 PM »
Nerines are a great genus to get into, John, especially if you can spare the room in the glasshouse!
The season should be over down here but a stray dwarf one in the garden has produced a bloom.
We got this originally as Nerine filifolia but the leaf isn'y fine enough!
cheers
fermi

Fermi,

It does not appear as if you are growing your Nerines in a glasshouse. In general, how cold hardy are they for you? I know that it can vary as per species and variety. You are right, something worth getting into!  :)  especially here in the milder parts of California.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 04:37:22 PM »
Hi Robert,
In much of Southern Australia nerines can be grown outdoors but in areas like ours where we can get "severe" frosts (well, severe for us!) down to -7 oC the foliage will be damaged and next year's flowering will be affected. Some species such as Nerine rosea, N. flexuosa alba, N. fothergila "Major" don't need protection but a lot of the N. sarniensis hybrids get "burnt" by frost so I keep some in the shadehouse,
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 05:24:09 PM »
Fermi,

I appreciate the good information. Our low temperatures here at the farm are very similar to yours, except I think we are a bit colder (we get -7c every winter). Providing protection with row cover and plastic when necessary seems like it might work well for us. Then we have our small garden in the Central Valley where temperatures are much more mild (we have avocados and citrus). Nerines seem like a winner down there!

Thanks!
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 08:55:08 AM »

I did forget that we do have a couple of winter flowering varieties in our garden!
This one is supposedly Nerine crispa but I think that has been subsumed into Nerine undulata ???
Not the best pic as I keep this one in the shadehouse - and the first flowers are already fading,
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

johnstephen29

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 03:39:28 PM »
Hi fermi its N. Undulate crispa if my memory serves me right, great looking nerine. It does well for you by the look of your pic.

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 09:05:46 AM »
Thanks, John,
it looks better when it can be grown in the open!
We visited a friend in Macedon which has a milder climate despite sometimes getting snow!
She has a lot of nerines still in flower so here's
Nerine undulata "crispa",
what is possibly N. flexuosa/undulata
N. flexuosa "alba" x 2
a N. sarniensis hybrid
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal