We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowers and foliage February 2008  (Read 47753 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Flowers and foliage February 2008
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2008, 11:19:10 AM »
I just showed these to my wife.  As we scrolled through she looked at me and then patted me on the back and said "There, There.  Don't be too upset.".... knowing how much I wish I could grow them like that here in my garden!  ::)  She knows me too well it seems!!  ;D

Going through them a second time had just as much impact as the first time.  That is one heck of a display you have there John.

John F..... that Corydalis and the Crocus clump are pretty special as well.  Very nice.

Seeing your wonderful pics reminds me of our wonderful winter/spring when we enjoy these things.  Even though we have so much out in the gardens in summer it still just isn't the same as the Crocus, Snowies, Eranthis etc.  Just lovely guys, just lovely!!  Thanks so much.  :) 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2008, 02:00:30 PM »
This Hell. Tenginbai looks very interesting.

Sorry, must have been a senior moment, John. Saw just the same? picture in Hepatica thread.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2008, 02:14:41 PM »
I am reeling from the beauty of John G's glade.... what a picture!  You all have such lovely gardens andit seems that springis really coming to you now. This last 48 hours the plants here in Aberdeen seem to have realised that they are being left behind by all your plants in the race to Spring so they are nowworking very hard to catch up. Iris Katharine Hodgkin has opened the first flower, a little group of three or four Iris histrioides major has popped up from nowhere, an Iris retic. variety is opened by the kitchen window, the snowdrops are beginning andthe crocus are very nearly open... well, the C. sieberi atticus, mostly. Mone or two C. korolkowii types thinking about it, but that's all for the crocus outside at the minute.... lots more than last week though, when I had ONE snowdrop open and some in  a heap in the frost!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johngennard

• heaps of hepaticas
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2008, 07:12:27 PM »
David,in answer to your question.No I do'nt open my garden under the NGS scheme but I do have many groups during May,the proviso being that they are bonefide groups that are affiliated in someway to horticulture in its broadest sense.That way avoids the many tramping feet that would inevitably crush the many treasures that litter the understorey and confines it to the truly interested.(I speak from experience)
John Gennard in the heart of Leics.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2008, 07:29:49 PM »
John,

Please continue to indulge us a little  more. That was a beautiful show; really enjoyed it.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2008, 10:16:57 PM »
Cyclamen coum flowering and looking good on my front door step this afternoon. This evening I came home to find the pot smashed and the plant wrecked by one of the neighbours' idiot children. The last of the automata did not die when the dinosaurs became extinct 65 million years ago. >:( I sometime think the black lagoon must be a poor tourist attraction these days. :( Here too is Ipheion 'Froyle Mill'.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 04:45:51 PM by adarby »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2008, 10:34:26 PM »
Today was a beautiful sunny day. Not flowering much in my garden but a few I can show here.
Abeliophyllum was difficult to make pictures of with full sun, no background.
Crocus malyi.
I made a picture of a Cornus, while I like the waxy stems.
and 2 pics of yellow Magnolia Lois, of which I hope the green hairy one will flower.??
Then I thought the bud of Magnolia stellata needed a bit of attention from the camera.
In this thread I saw already som Primula sibthorpiana, this one is already more than 25 years with me.
And at last a pic. of the good Sax. irvingii on tufa which since 20 years never disappointed us.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2008, 10:37:51 PM »
Cyclamen coum flowering and looking good on my front door step this afternoon. This evening I came home to find the pot smashed and the plant wrecked by one of the neighbour's idiot children.

seems you don't need to call 112. Nicely recovered, Anthony.  ;D

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2008, 10:42:34 PM »
Luit, lovely plants today with you.

Luit, I think Anthony's picture is BEFORE the wicked child!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2008, 05:52:13 AM »
Luit,
What a superb Abeliophyllum distichum! It seems there is a superior clone in the Netherlands.
All plants which I have seen here had distorted twigs although nice flowers too.
Does your plant build seeds?
30 years ago I tried to cross this species with Forsythia because the Abeliophyllum is called the white Forsythia. No success -  :(

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2008, 10:24:19 AM »
Missed out a day on the Forum yesterday only to find this wealth of unequalled beauties this morning !
Thanks all - gorgeous pix - what displays  :o  :o  Spring is definitely upon us (we had 15°C yesterday - and the same is forcasted for today !!!  -3°C las night though - Camelia flowers might be in trouble  :'(
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2008, 11:27:40 AM »
Did the pot-breaker survive?  :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2008, 12:25:44 PM »
John,

What follows on in your woodland after your spring bulbs? This is what I would find a particular challenge - to find suitable plants to use with these spring bulbs.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2008, 04:41:52 PM »

here is orchis morio

That is unusually pale and very early. Is it a named form Tony and do you grow it in the greenhouse? Mine is still in tight rosette in a trough.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2008, 04:45:21 PM »
Did the pot-breaker survive?  :o

The pot breaker has yet to be identified. :(

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal