We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Helleborus 2015  (Read 23851 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Re: Helleborus 2015
« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2015, 08:20:19 AM »
Last year I posted pictures of leaves of my two young Hellebores, here.
The seeds for these plants were collected in mountains near Plitvice in Croatia, and last year Tim Murphy suggested that they may belong to torquatus/multifidus complex.
They are now flowering, and they are the earliest of my Hellebores to flower. The flowers emerged as soon as the snow melted. The other has more yellowishgreen flowers and the first flower was damaged some by cold, the other one has greener and more cup-like flowers.
The smell is faint but not bad.
Do these look like H.multifidus? And if, which subspecies?
Leena from south of Finland

ian mcdonald

« Reply #106 on: March 24, 2015, 02:12:35 PM »
Our native Hellebores. Both grow in woods not far away. Img 189 H. foetidus, under exposed. Img 188 H. viridis.

Leena

« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2015, 06:57:23 AM »
Helleborus abhasicus, and the second photo is of a Ashwood Peach/Apricot spotted seedling which is going to flower for the first time.

Irm

• Berlin
« Reply #108 on: March 26, 2015, 05:08:29 PM »
I have some Ashwood Apricot/Peach hellebores going to flower for the first time this year, I hope some of them will turn out as lovely as yours. :)

Here in Berlin, the Ashwoodys are in flower now  ;)

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #109 on: March 26, 2015, 05:14:08 PM »
Here   is one I have had for a few years with petaloid stamens.
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Leena

« Reply #110 on: March 27, 2015, 06:54:26 AM »
Irm, very nice colours in your hellebores. I have several which are grown from Ashwood seeds and are now in bud for the first time, I'm hoping to see some new colours. :)

Ian, how different looking hellebore, beautiful. :)

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2015, 08:59:51 AM »
Irm, very nice colours in your hellebores. I have several which are grown from Ashwood seeds and are now in bud for the first time, I'm hoping to see some new colours. :)

Ian, how different looking hellebore, beautiful. :)

Thank you Leena that's what attracted me to it. I also grow some of those that Irm shows I think Aswood call them "Neons" and they seem to come well from seed. If you haven't got that I may be able to send you seed in the summer ;)
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Irm

• Berlin
« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2015, 11:42:41 AM »

Please show them, when they are in flower !

and I have one more ...  ;)

Leena

« Reply #113 on: March 28, 2015, 05:29:22 AM »
Thank you Leena that's what attracted me to it. I also grow some of those that Irm shows I think Aswood call them "Neons" and they seem to come well from seed. If you haven't got that I may be able to send you seed in the summer ;)

Thank you Ian, I would love to try it. :) I have sown my Ashwood hybrids in 2010 and 2011, mostly from seeds they sold named Apricot/Peach/Primrose yellow, picotee or spotted or with dark nectaries, but not Neon. However the seeds were labeled there seems to come very nice different shades, although from Purples all so far have been pink, but now one looks darker in bud.

Please show them, when they are in flower !

I will, Irm. :) They are now coming up and are in bud so it may still be couple of weeks before the flowers open up properly.
Very nice white you have there, picotees look so elegant. :)

PeterClegg

« Reply #114 on: March 28, 2015, 06:17:47 PM »
Last year I posted pictures of leaves of my two young Hellebores, here.
The seeds for these plants were collected in mountains near Plitvice in Croatia, and last year Tim Murphy suggested that they may belong to torquatus/multifidus complex.
They are now flowering, and they are the earliest of my Hellebores to flower. The flowers emerged as soon as the snow melted. The other has more yellowishgreen flowers and the first flower was damaged some by cold, the other one has greener and more cup-like flowers.
The smell is faint but not bad.
Do these look like H.multifidus? And if, which subspecies?
Hi Lena
I took a stab at odorus at the time but you should definitely know once the mature foliage emerges , if they are multifidus subsp multifidus the foliage should be very divided(with my limited knowledge of species helleborus )

Leena

« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2015, 06:46:47 AM »
Thanks Peter,  will post more photos when the leaves have emerged. :)
I have to admit that these are not as spectacular as hybrids, but it is exciting to grow something that is a real species from the wild.

PeterClegg

« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2015, 11:14:11 AM »
A new one this year

PeterClegg

« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2015, 11:19:13 AM »
Another first time bloomer .

PeterClegg

« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2015, 11:27:03 AM »
From a yellow double and green picotee single cross , sorry about the single posts but for some reason it will not let me make multiple picture posts even when they are below 200kb

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2015, 01:25:51 PM »
Three class acts there Peter.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal