We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus 'Longworth Double'  (Read 2458 times)

uvularia

• Edulis Nursery
Galanthus 'Longworth Double'
« on: January 03, 2015, 12:06:48 PM »
I was wondering if anyone knows of a source of the 'Longworth Double'. I have never seen it on a list or a photo. I have some friends in Longworth, Oxon and I would dearly love to find them one?
'Hope itself breeds life'

Nurseryman & Landscape Architect

www.edulis.co.uk
twitter @pauledulis

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Galanthus 'Longworth Double'
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 12:33:59 PM »
This may be a lead  from http://www.plantago.nl/plantindex/kwekerij/BO/B/1/bolle-jist/12.html      :-\

Alle Jans Smedingstrjitte 20
9008 SE Reduzum
Nederland
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

uvularia

• Edulis Nursery
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 01:29:43 PM »
Thanks Maggi! I will give them a try!

www.edulis.co.uk
twitter @pauledulis

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 08:36:06 AM »
A dead end, I fear.  This looks to me like the Dutch database of named snowdrops with little information on sources.  It reproduces the misnaming of 'Green Light' as 'Greenlight' that was in that database and there are no documented sources of that (although, actually, it is commercially available through Monksilver Nursery).  Nor of 'Longworth Double' http://www.plantago.nl/plantindex/plant/BO/G/1/galanthus-longworth-double/385333.html .

Seemingly 'Longworth Double' is in the collection of Annie Fallinger http://www.plantencollecties.nl/collecties/galanthus/1550/#tab-id-1 so perhaps you could make a trade?  Or you could try our UK National Collection holders, Steve Owen or Margaret MacLennan (both of whom are scheduled to speak at snowdrop events in February).

According to 'The Book' it was found in what had been the garden of Longworth Hopsital in Longworth and was offered for sale by Phil Cornish. 
Almost in Scotland.

steve owen

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 08:58:39 AM »
Alan
I had it (in 2009, from North Green Snowdrops) and lost it. The fact that I haven't replaced it demonstrates that it isn't easy to come by. NGS varieties are not always steadily available, and some of Phil Cornish's finds are also sometimes difficult to track down. But we keep trying! Margaret M might be able to help?
Steve
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 09:53:16 AM »
'Longworth Double' is on the same page of 'The Book' as 'Richard Ayres'.  Both were discovered in the 1980s yet the former is almost unknown whilst the latter is now very readily available.  Whilst individual snowdrop losses are mostly just random misfortune, a failure to thrive over three decades might be indicative of a plant that isn't garden-worthy.  In which case, Paul, it might not be the best gift for your friends, despite the appropriate name.
Almost in Scotland.

snowdropcollector

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 10:09:13 AM »
Longworth Double is still a cultivar 'going around' over here on the mainland  ;). I grow it also, it is not a fast multiplier.
I will send you pm, Paul.
Richard, Netherlands....building up my collection again

uvularia

• Edulis Nursery
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 11:25:38 PM »
Thanks folks for all your help. I now have plenty of offers of 'Longworth Double'! It does still seem to be out there, all be it, in small numbers. It will be nice to re-establish a few in Longworth. (I hope my friend doesn't sell up before I can generate at few bulbs!) Personally I love to grow plants discovered locally to a particular area, it give a garden 'local distinctiveness'.

www.edulis.co.uk
twitter @pauledulis

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 07:36:14 AM »
It will be nice to re-establish a few in Longworth.

Maybe you could go further than that, Paul, and re-establish 'Longworth Double' as a snowdrop you can actually buy.
Almost in Scotland.

steve owen

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 03:12:17 PM »
Thanks folks for all your help. I now have plenty of offers of 'Longworth Double'! It does still seem to be out there, all be it, in small numbers. It will be nice to re-establish a few in Longworth. (I hope my friend doesn't sell up before I can generate at few bulbs!) Personally I love to grow plants discovered locally to a particular area, it give a garden 'local distinctiveness'.
Good news, Paul. If any of your contacts can maybe swap with me so I can get this bulb back into cultivation I would be happy to hear from them. Thanks,
Steve
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Mariette

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 08:33:20 PM »
After lots of rain during a spell of sunshine : ´Longworth Double´.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal