We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Ranunculus alpestris  (Read 652 times)

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
Ranunculus alpestris
« on: July 23, 2014, 09:15:47 PM »
Hi folks,
I'm just seeking some advice/confirmation re. sowing seed of R.alpestris.

My seed has just ripened (i.e. just starting to turn yellowish but still a bit green and touching the fruits causes the seed to drop whereas before they were firmly attached) so I have sown some today, thinking that fresh Ranunculus seed gives best results. Not sure how to treat it, I have surface sown into a pot of moist compost and have put it into a lightly shaded cold frame to (hopefully) germinate. Is this correct? Unsure whether light is required, I haven't covered the seed, but can do so if necessary?

The seeds from the first flush of flowering I allowed to scatter back into the trough, so these may grow in situ.

There are more fruits (from the third flush of flowers) yet to ripen, so I can try again if anyone suggests another method. Alternatively, I can send surplus seed (moist packed?) to anyone who might be interested in having a go themselves... Failing that, can I assume that refrigerated dry seed would be the best way to keep it until the Seed Ex 2014/15?
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal