We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: The Blean - near Canterbury in Kent  (Read 910 times)

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
The Blean - near Canterbury in Kent
« on: April 03, 2014, 05:52:12 PM »
These are a few pictures of the amazing carpet of Anemone nemorosa at The Blean - ancient woodland near to us in Kent. A high point of the woods in spring!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: The Blean - near Canterbury in Kent
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 06:29:52 PM »
The purity of the anemone flowers above the carpet of  filigree foliage is an iconic spring  sight, isn't it? 
'Windflowers' were a favourite of my late Mother and so are especially dear to me too - they speak to me of happy times past and sunny days - memories don't get much better than that.

I've just enjoyed  reading about the history of the Blean, inspired by your post, Tim
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 06:31:32 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 06:59:11 PM »
Very nice indeed Tim.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 08:18:06 PM »
It's a magic forest with some excellent walks. Mind you, we walked these one Spring day a couple of years ago and it rained heavily the whole time - last time I had a really bad cold.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Mavers

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 10:23:48 AM »
Lovely photos Tim.

As a young boy I never took any notice of the wood anemones in the nearby woods...........they wilted as soon as they were picked so would never look attractive added to a bunch of primroses I'd take home for mum.

I love to grow wood anemones in my garden now that 'I'm all grown up & big' ( ;D) & when I venture into the same woods with my little dog I notice many subtle variations in flower size, shape & colouring as the flowers age.

Mike
Somerset, UK

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal