We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: April 2014 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 5709 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
April 2014 in the Southern Hemisphere
« on: March 31, 2014, 02:15:22 PM »
The start of April and this fool is still awake so I may as well start the new thread!
In the garden another Sprekelia formosissima has opened - quite an achievement in our dry garden! I'll move some of these down to where they'll get more regular summer watering and hopefully they'll bloom more regularly.
Also the first Sternbergias are out - S. sicula is first this year with the first S. lutea not far behind!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: April 2014 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 02:20:54 PM »
Ah, what a difference 12 thousand or so miles makes! If I could flower a Sprekelia in the open garden I'd be amazed-the poor thing would have to learn to swim as well as suffer the cold! It is just so exciting to see these exotic tender plants growing so happily in a garden setting.  Mind you, I could say that of a very large percentage of what you have growing happily at Redesdale, fermi!  It is a pleasure to see them, for sure.
As you move into autumn we have large clumps of colchicum foliage everywhere among the spring flowers - and today, the sun is shining so perhaps it is spring!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 03:25:55 PM »
.....................If I could flower a Sprekelia in the open garden I'd be amazed-the poor thing would have to learn to swim as well as suffer the cold!.......................

I struggled with it in the greenhouse for three years or so and never got it to flower before it finally bit the dust.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 06:59:43 AM »
enjoying our "Indian Summer " days (as I am too ) are two "common " Cyclamen species that proliferate here in the open . The 52 year old tuber of graecum , (seed sown in 1961) has lost its vigour in old age and is no longer free flowering .
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 07:03:43 AM »
and a few Colchicums
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

meanie

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 07:36:44 AM »
I struggled with it in the greenhouse for three years or so and never got it to flower before it finally bit the dust.
For me, benign neglect works. Shove them somewhere where they can enjoy warm (not hot) days and cool(ish) nights and forget about them. They've caught me out and bloomed in their winter boxes in the shed before now.
West Oxon where it gets cold!

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 08:15:27 AM »
These are not plants in the S. Hemisphere but from the S. Hemisphere. A nice little parcel from Lesley containing Richea scoparia and Hypericum kelleri. The former I have always wanted to grow ever since walking through swathes of it in Tasmania - I've tried and lost plants during hot summers (along with Richea dracophylla). These will be nurtured in a cooler spot near the nursery where they can get more watering in dry spells. The latter is a tiny endemic from Crete which has a fascinating range of hypericums (described by Nicholas Turland in the AGS Bulletin Vol. 58, p.310, 1990 and in 'The Flowers of Crete' with John Fielding and Brian Mathew). We are steadily collecting and growing more of these and it's great to add this rare plant to those we already have. They have been potted up in sandy cutting compost and put in a cool place to get going. Thank you Lesley!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 08:10:54 AM »
Lovely photos, Otto.

And well done, Tim.  I hope they grow brilliantly for you.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 08:14:31 AM »
Flowering seems to be all too much for this Brunvigia which has decided to lie down on the job!
It is what's been doing the rounds as B. josephinae but is likley to be a hybrid,
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 09:21:28 AM »
Fermi,

If it is like the usual one doing the rounds then as far as I know it is an x Amarygia as it doesn't have the glaucus leaves of B. josephinae.  The leaves look pretty much like a normal belladonna on yours? (when they appear of course, not now)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 01:56:24 PM »
 Yes, Paul, I suspect that you're right about this hybrid.
... the first Sternbergias are out - S. sicula is first this year with the first S. lutea not far behind!

This row of Sternbergia lutea is growing in "rough grass" at the base of a rock wall and have been content to flower and even seed themselves there,
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 02:32:05 PM »
At our AGS Vic group and FCHS Rock Garden Group Joint meeting there were plenty of great plants on the bench.
A close-up of a dark flowered Cyclamen hederifolium raised from seed by Andrew, a keen cyclamen grower,
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 11:11:29 PM »
Thats a great dark hederifolium.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 11:18:22 PM »
Thats a great dark hederifolium.

... and the foliage is well marked too - a bonus!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 11:20:54 AM »
A few more from the garden today:
Biarum davisii
Sternbergia sicula - in a bed which has been invaded by couch-grass >:(
Zephyranthes drummondii

cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal