We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Janis Ruksans- Talks and Spring Show Frit Group 16March  (Read 1627 times)

Colin

Janis Ruksans- Talks and Spring Show Frit Group 16March
« on: February 22, 2014, 11:08:13 AM »
As reported in today's Telegraph

16 March   2014.

"Spring Show and a day with bulb expert Janis Ruksans      . £5
9:30- 15:00 New Haw Comunity Centre, Woodham Lane, New Haw, Surrey, England

Contact 01865 862027   
 http://www.fritillaria.org.uk/meetings.htm

PROGRAMME:                               

9.30         Doors Open and Coffee.  Plants and Bulbs will be on sale during the day.

10.30        “Fritillarias for different growing conditions” by Janis Ruksans

12.00        Pollination demonstration by Rannveig Wallis

12.15        Lunch Break

13.15         “New bulbous irises and crocuses in the wild and garden” by Janis Ruksans

14.45         Raffle

15.00         End of Meeting

Sounds like a great day - show plus wisdom and advice...

Edit to fix web address
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 06:11:17 PM by Maggi Young »
CSH  North Wales

Per ardua ad astra

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
Re: Janis Ruksans- Talks and Spring Show Frit Group 16March
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 05:30:37 PM »
We aim to go to this having read Jānis' epic 'Buried Treasures', even though we hardly grow any of these really choice bulbs. Look forward to meeting anyone else there from the Forum.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 05:47:10 PM »
If you have not heard Janis speak before, Tim, you are in for a real treat.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 05:41:47 PM »
http://www.fritillaria.org.uk/     

I tried the link provided above but it didn't connect perhaps better luck with the hyperlink above.
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 06:09:56 PM »
Thanks Frazer, I have edited the original.

Full details below from the Frit. Group website :

"Our next meeting is on Sunday 16 March 2014 & includes our Spring show plus lectures

Venue : New Haw Community Centre, Woodham Lane, New Haw, Addlestone,

Surrey KT15 3ND. Please note this is a new venue - more details below

Meeting Details: A Day with Janis Ruksans

PROGRAMME:                               

9.30         Doors Open and Coffee.  Plants and Bulbs will be on sale during the day.

10.30        “Fritillarias for different growing conditions” by Janis Ruksans

12.00        Pollination demonstration by Rannveig Wallis

12.15        Lunch Break

13.15         “New bulbous irises and crocuses in the wild and garden” by Janis Ruksans

14.45         Raffle

15.00         End of Meeting

Entry fee £2.00 for members of the Fritillaria group and £5.00 for non-members.

Please bring in flower fritillarias for the show bench!

We have structured the day in this way so that members will still have time to visit Wisley after the meeting if they wish to do so.  Suggest attendees bring lunch due to short break!

Visitors Welcome.  The Fritillaria Group invites members of The Crocus Group and The Iris Species Group to participate at this event.  There will also be a photographic display. 
Further details of the location of the New Haw Community Hall can be found on their website www.newhaw.cc , but here are details of how to find it:

Coming from the M25 Junction 11 (Chertsey/Woking)

Leave the M25 at junction 11 taking first exit on roundabout onto A317 and follow the signs for Addlestone A318.  Follow the dual carriageway until you come to a large roundabout, take the last exit on the roundabout onto dual carriage way sign posted to Addlestone/Byfleet (A318).  Continue on this road going straight across two mini roundabouts, then straight through two sets of traffic lights, past the Black Horse pub.  About 1 mile further on you will come to a car showroom on your left and a pub called the White Hart.  Take second exit on next mini roundabout heading towards Woodham / Woking  B385. Pass a road on your left called Common Lane, and a row of cottages. Towards the end of these, before the motorway bridge,  on the left is the entrance & car park for New Haw Community Centre.

Coming from the A3 Junction 10 M25

Come off at junction 10 and take the A3 heading towards London, leave at the Cobham exit and take A245 heading towards Byfleet, straight through the next set of traffic lights. About a mile further on you pass by the turning for Silvermere Golf course.  You will then come to a roundabout, continue straight on A425.  At the next roundabout turn right onto A318 following the signs to Brooklands super stores, you will come to a roundabout, turn left past the stores on A318. Go straight across at the next mini roundabout. About 1 mile down the road you will come to a railway bridge controlled by traffic lights.  Continue on this road until you go over the canal bridge. As you go over the bridge you will need to keep to the left, turn left at the mini roundabout heading towards Woodham / Woking B385. Pass a road on your left called Common Lane, and a row of cottages. Towards the end of these, before the motorway bridge,  on the left is the entrance & car park for New Haw Community Centre.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 06:15:06 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 06:16:24 PM »
If you cannot reach Addlestone in Surrey on that day, perhaps you might manage Birmingham, for a Hepatica Event: 
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=11464.0

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 07:09:44 PM »
A few pictures from today's event. Great to meet Janis for the first time; he rattled through Fritillaria in the morning, but when he got onto Crocus after lunch he was in full flow! A few Iris tagged on at the end. Good day.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 07:12:40 PM »
More.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 07:21:56 PM »
Janis is truly one of nature's gentlemen, isn't he? And a most excellent speaker, of course.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 08:58:17 PM »
The first time I have heard Janis and wonderfully informative and comprehensive talks! He is a real one off and I shall have to re-read his books now. Frits are immensely appealing plants and I was particularly interested to hear about the woodland species more likely to prosper in the garden (since we don't really have the time to grow the more demanding species). The irises were even more mouth-watering but even more beyond our reach I think (maybe I will learn more about these after visiting a local grower next week).

Rannveig gave a fun short talk on pollinating various bulbous genera - complete with moving pictures - the aim being to encourage more growers to obtain and disseminate seed; a very worthy ideal. These are a few pictures to add to and complement Ralph's - Martyn Rix must be more than pleased to be named after F. rixii  ;) and it may be impossible not to be drawn into growing some of these plants in the future if we can fit them in between gardening and propagating. An enjoyable and friendly day and not a few very fine plantsmen and ladies.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 09:00:15 PM »
A full table laden with Fritillaria, looks like you'd a good day.
North of France

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 09:03:00 PM »
And a few more... yes I did Yann, and I'm not even a member of the Frit group; may be remedied if we start to grow more.

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 09:51:19 PM »
rixii is amazing, i love the stems port and i'm jealous of this lovely regelii  :P
North of France

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 11:56:02 AM »
Tim, nice pictures - it was remiss of me not to label mine with the plant names!

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 01:02:40 PM »
For those who like to put names to faces - the elite lunch table has Janis, Bob Charman, Bob Wallis, Pat Craven (Frit Group Seed Manager), Rannveig Wallis. Think it was Marion Charman with back to camera.

Frit rixii was shown 3 times - Tim chose the most attractive plant to show.  The other two varied in shape quite a lot.  Not one I grow but would love to.

The day was excellent and I had the great pleasure of chatting to Ray Cobb :) ;D :)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 01:09:36 PM by art600 »
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal