We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: "Favourite Snowdrops" a subject re-visited  (Read 1569 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
"Favourite Snowdrops" a subject re-visited
« on: February 04, 2014, 05:03:32 PM »
"Favourite Snowdrops"  - this is a subject  that has been re-visited  from time to time in these pages - now Carolyn Walker in Pennsylvania,  spurred on by Julian Wormald (who is on the trail of 'drops originating in Wales)  has, using a poll conducted by Avon Bulbs,  made  two blogs detailing those 25 favourite snowdrops, as revealed  by the Avon list.

Carolyn's  posts on the 25 favourite snowdrops part one

Carolyn's  posts on the 25 favourite snowdrops part two
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 06:18:18 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: "Favourite Snowdrops" a subject re-visited
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 01:44:06 PM »
My goodness, a deafening silence on this thread - and that is always surprising  in the forum!

Happily there have been emails to me saying how nice it is to have a simple guide to a set of plants which will  enable beginners to learn more about 'drops which have proven their worth and make a good basis for a starter collection.
Many thanks to Carolyn and, of course, to Avon Bulbs for the  result of their popularity poll.
I am delighted  that Carolyn's blogs are proving of use and interest -  perhaps all the more vocal forumists are  "too expert" to worry about learning about some established forms- and the beginners too shy to comment?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 02:43:18 PM »
and the beginners too shy to comment?

That is so. :)
I have found those links very interesting, thank you for posting it in your blog Carolyn, and Maggi. :)
I've also read many times older discussions here about good and bad doers in snowdrops and what people have considered top snowdrops (in 2008 and 2010). :)
Leena from south of Finland

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 03:07:10 PM »
I think many of the best snowdrops are those well old tried favourites - I started with 'S. Arnott', 'Viridapice', 'Pusey Green Tips' and 'Atkinsii', all of which I was given. More recent ones I have had and recommend would be 'Wendy's Gold', 'Augustus', 'Gerard Parker' and 'Armine'. Always the problem with this is as soon as you pick out a few a whole lot more start popping into your head, like the thread of 'distinct' snowdrops that was started earlier. The best thing is to talk nicely to a Galanthus friend, who will then inevitably give you a few that do well for them, and from then on follow your nose as you get more and more fascinated by them. (And take it slowly, otherwise you will forget that there are a few other plants you can collect too!).
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 08:10:35 PM »
Always the problem with this is as soon as you pick out a few a whole lot more start popping into your head

Yes, that's what is happening to me. :)
Thank you for your experiences, I have some of them already, and 'Gerald Parker' in my wishlist, hopefully it is in some dormant bulb list in the summer. 'Armine' was a new name to me and I had to look it up in the snowdrop book: large and late, two things which I am looking for. :)
Leena from south of Finland

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 11:00:32 PM »
Bit I wrote for the Shaftesbury snowdrop herald pull out in the Blackmore vale newspaper

Three Galanthus to get you going

I think everyone has room for snowdrops in the garden. It's easy enough to go to your local  garden centre in spring and pick up pots of snowdrops . These will tend to be  Galanthus nivalis single or double form , Galanthus elwesii  or Galanthus woronowii miss-labeled   as  Galanthus ikariae .

But what if you want something a bit different , perhaps you might wish to start a snowdrop collection ? There are a bewildering amount of named snowdrops now . It can be quite daunting knowing were to start and perhaps what will grow well for you .

So to start you off on your way to becoming a full blown Galanthophile or if you just want some good doers for the garden here are my top 3 snowdrops to get you started .

Galanthus 'S. Arnott'

What can only be described as a classic snowdrop . It is a vigorous and  highly scented on a warm day , when it honey fragrance can be full appreciated . Best planted in large bold drifts for full effect . A first class garden plant wether you like snowdrops or not . It has been proven a worthy addition to any collection since the 1950's .

Galanthus plicatus 'Wendy's Gold'

Now for some thing in yellow . Once again a recognisable as a snowdrop but this time the green makings on the flower have been replaced with yellow .
The yellow marking stretches most of the way to the top of the inner petals , making for quite a lovely flower.

In my collection has has a tendency not to make a tight clump, but prefers to space it's self out of its own accord . Which leads to it popping up some distance away , quite how it archives this I've yet to discover .

Galanthus nivalis 'Blewbury Tart'
This little snowdrop is a double and a rather curious one at that . Defiantly not one to describe  as a classic shape ! It's inner segments form a dark green rosette , framed by narrow outer segments .

'Blewbury Tart ' has a habit of holding it's flowers almost upright , it's almost as if it  it's showing of it's frilly knickers !

Written By Emma Thick
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Anne Repnow

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 12:07:58 PM »
My first "special" snowdrop was 'Viridapice' - and I am still very happy with it!
Another excellent snowdrop which I am getting to like more and more is 'John Gray'. It seems to be a good grower, flowers early, has lovely large flowers, lovely markings and a nice smell.
Anne Repnow gardening near Heidelberg in Germany
carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 08:28:43 PM »
Washfield Colesbourne & Peardrop are still mine, both have such good flowers and foliage, it's the combination of both that I like.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal