We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: A different Valentine's Gift!  (Read 15713 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: A different Valentine's Gift!
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2014, 04:59:19 PM »
It's a poor photo, Alan,  I was sent the picture by email - I presume it's in the pot!
Tom's photos of the plant from the ebay listing, copyright of Evolution Plants .....

Galanthus  'Peter  Gooding'
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 05:00:51 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2014, 05:51:46 PM »
The trouble with Tom's photos is that they appear to show three different plants.  I was curious to know which 'Peter Gooding' Peter Gooding ended up with.
Almost in Scotland.

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #107 on: February 18, 2014, 08:07:19 PM »
No worries Martin, I didn't imagine you were suggesting such a thing.

The Facebook page isn't meant to replace the forum ! We could never do that !  A lot of the people are the same as on here , we sometimes have the same conversation ! I just find it slightly easier to upload my photos onto Facebook

It's meant to be fun
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2014, 10:07:44 PM »
Dear Em, I would never want to interfere with any fun -that's soooo not my style!
 It's just that photos and discussion HERE is there for everyone and is searchable for the photos etc - and so it's a lasting basis for  snowdrops - and other plants, of course and so I want to ensure as full a covering as possible so that the most possible info is available to the widest audience.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2014, 10:35:43 PM »
That's what I like so much about this Forum too (and the SRGC website in general) because you can go back and renew threads and get a more historical perspective on gardening, which is also what a scientific education teaches - it makes for very solid foundations. And the archive of information from Ian's Bulb log and from Jim Archibald is really unequalled. It is the internet at its very best. (Perhaps occasionally a little seriousness creeps in? - but I did love Maggi's example of putting snow chains on a car and Cliff's reply!).
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2014, 10:59:49 PM »
The forum was originally thought of  to make place where we could come together to discuss our plants and bring the far flung SRGC members closer together, especially those without a local group -   it has become that and much more besides. I think everyone  here, be they amateur grower or professional botanist has a real LOVE of plants and a thirst for knowledge - and how better to feed that need than by having fun in the company of friends - as Mary Poppins (!)  said, "a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down". The level of expertise available to answer queries here is quite marvelous and the range and quality of plant notes shared is matchless. The place is worth it for the plant photo records alone!  I'm a fan, what can I tell you - it is a great joy to me when others share the experience.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2014, 11:39:17 PM »
The Facebook page isn't meant to replace the forum ! We could never do that !  A lot of the people are the same as on here , we sometimes have the same conversation ! I just find it slightly easier to upload my photos onto Facebook

It's meant to be fun

And it is fun, Em. Great fun.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2014, 11:48:07 PM »
And it is fun, Em. Great fun.

Great fun ? What, you mean there's cake?  :o :o :o

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #113 on: February 19, 2014, 08:37:56 AM »
Tom Mitchell is a guest on BBC Radio 4's 'Midweek' at 9 am today, 19th February.
Almost in Scotland.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #114 on: February 19, 2014, 11:00:39 AM »

Great fun ? What, you mean there's cake?  :o :o :o

Oh yes, CHOCOLATE cake.  ;D
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #115 on: February 19, 2014, 11:12:03 AM »
Oh yes, CHOCOLATE cake.  ;D
Yes, that's QUITE fun - but is there coffee walnut cake? Really GOOD coffee walnut cake?

We heard Tom on Radio 4 this morning  - he came across well  I thought - but not sure  the treatment of the item would set the heather on fire, as we say up here.  So very hard to get any "meeejaa" (media) types to understand anything really!

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #116 on: February 19, 2014, 11:18:20 AM »
It's a poor photo, Alan,  I was sent the picture by email - I presume it's in the pot!
Tom's photos of the plant from the ebay listing, copyright of Evolution Plants .....

Galanthus  'Peter  Gooding'

Totally underwhelmed :o

I seem to remember that Melvyn showed something similar during his talk at Shaftesbury.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #117 on: February 19, 2014, 01:01:35 PM »
I know what you mean Arthur.  But what was really bought was the opportunity to name a snowdrop.  Being a little colour-blind I don't really trust my colour vision.  Are the leaves really unusually green as described?  They look a bit that way in the first photograph but very glaucous in the third one. 
Almost in Scotland.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #118 on: February 19, 2014, 01:04:40 PM »
Just caught up on this thread - goodness what a commotion! It was a brilliant piece of marketing by a very canny nurseryman. No-one forces people to pay 'silly' prices on ebay or anywhere else, so there should be no tutting allowed! The same applies to Elizabeth Harrison - T&M got a priceless bit of publicity relatively cheaply. (It's also a very nice snowdrop!)
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #119 on: February 19, 2014, 02:28:50 PM »
The snowdrop is now formally named (and, pace various suggestions, a full description published on a public website is enough to validate a name - read the rules) ...

In case you do want to read the ICNCP Rules referred to, there is an online copy here http://www.actahort.org/chronica/pdf/sh_10.pdf

I've always been told that article 25.1 d says that publication is not effected by electronic media.  I had taken this on trust hitherto but now I have read it for myself. 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 02:34:58 PM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal