We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: January 2008 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 23434 times)

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Re: January 2008 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2008, 08:25:18 PM »
What a superb lily with those long elegant filaments.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2008, 10:31:17 PM »
Perfect Paul,

A beautiful lily.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2008, 10:43:58 PM »
Why Thank you Paddy.  But what did you think of the flowers in the pictures?  ;D  ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ezeiza

« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2008, 02:23:40 AM »
Hi:
    Exciting images. H. tubispathus 'Roseus' although validly published has no standing, as there are at least a dozen of different roseus in cultivation.

The one of 'Grandjax' is that hybrid.

The one of Z. fosteri is Z. fosteri. Z. rosea is a clumping dwarf species from the Caribbean not easy to grow at all. The flowers are not star shaped but rather rotaceous much as in Ipheion 'Rolf Fielder' and a deep, intense rose. It is very difficult to find material that would set seed suggesting that those millions of bulbs in cultivation in the Caribbean are a single clone.

From what can be seen in the image, it is of Dietes grandiflora. Dietes iridioides (D. vegeta) is shorter and the stems are not erect but typically pendulous, the flowers being a lot more drab than in the stunning grandiflora.

Best
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2008, 03:14:29 AM »
Howdy Ezeiza (Sorry, not sure of actual name to go with that),

Interesting re the Dietes.  I had thought that irioides and grandiflora are exactly the opposite to what you had outlined, but that was only based on previous experiences of labelling/pictures etc.  The taller, more upright variety is often seen here in Aus as plantings in public parks etc, and I had only been able to identify it as irioides in the past..... I have both of them, and as you say the taller is a more impressive flower, although the shorter with more droopy stems has it's own charm (and sets large amounts of seed unlike the other).  The leaves on the shorter are a bit broader, and darker green I find.  Sounds like I have to swap my mental labels as to which is which!!  ::)  Thanks for the info. ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2008, 11:53:33 AM »
Ezeiza, it would be interesting to hear a little about you... where you live, what you like to grow, are you professionally involved in horticulture etc... it is much friendlier if we know some of these details about the Forumists  :)  There is a special page for you to tell us more about yourself, if you'd like to do that... it is here: http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=12.285

We look forward to learning about you, we would appreciate all new Forumists to introduce themselves in this way  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2008, 02:54:33 PM »
Paul,

I'll insert my comma appropriately next time, but then you are perfect really!

Ezeiza,

You have the thought patterns of a taxonomist but we won't hold that against you. Even taxonomists have their uses and are very welcome on the forum.

Paddy

Ezeiza

« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2008, 03:23:08 PM »
Hi Paddy:
             So good! It happens that I grow many of  those species mentioned in this forum and I am sorry I can not be of help more often.

It is so important to have the proper names of what one is growing, particularly with those genera in which pressed specimens look all the same.

Regards.

Ezeiza

« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2008, 03:37:49 PM »
Hi Maggi:

Please excuse my bad manners. I overlooked the fact that I had not sent a proper introduction.

Regards.

Ezeiza

« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2008, 03:44:40 PM »
Hi:

Dietes flower in volleys (hence the name "fortnight Lily") if well watered, but they do a lot better and flower for six months or more if faded flowers are removed. Iridioides set seed heavily but as a rule there is not enough peopel for so much seed. I have lots of clumps of this so if you need seed let me know and remove your faded flowers to enjoy a longer season.

Grandiflora does better if in full sun, but iridioides can take a lot of shade. Seed of Dietes germinates freely, like grass, when the capsules split open and fall as soon as ripe. I suspect many of our failures with South African seed is because the seed has been stored dry for too long.

Regards

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2008, 08:25:27 PM »
Alberto,

Taxonomists are on my mind at the moment as I have just fallen foul or one on this side of the Atlantic; have had my knuckles rapped for improper publishing of names etc.

Great to have you with us. A discussion which might interest has been ongoing in the Galanthus forum - the naming of galanthus cultivars.

Looking forward to your contributions.

Paddy

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2008, 11:54:26 PM »
Dave, are you going to the Study Weekend? If so, I'll bring my Clematis books and you can have a good look. My viorna is much pinker than that and not so intensely coloured, but there are many in that group, all American. I have a gorgeous deep purple form of addisonii but it is a climber to about a metre.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2008, 11:58:49 PM »
Meant to add Dave, MAKE IT SEED!!!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 10:54:53 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2008, 12:59:25 AM »
I have a gorgeous deep purple form of addisonii but it is a climber to about a metre.

Grey-Wilson's book has it that the stems of C. addisonii require support or they will flop over.  He has the climbing forms in C. glaucophylla (though he notes that this is synonymous with C. addisonii sensu Gray). As always one pays one's money and takes one's choice. At least his book is in paperback, so the monetary cost of the 'choice' is low  ;)
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2008, 07:44:03 AM »
Hi Alberto,
Thank you for your identification of the rain-lilies for me.
These are probably the easiest of the South American bulbs for me at present and I aim to grow as many as I can - Quarantine Authorities permitting!
What should the Habranthus tubispathus "Roseus" be called ? Just "pink Habranthus tubispathus"?
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal