We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: January 2008 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 23453 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: January 2008 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2008, 08:23:44 PM »
Below is a superb little Salvia, from the microphylla group but whether that itself or not, I'm not sure. It's been in a hypertufa trough for about 7 years and has split the trough down every corner so that in effect, it's held up by 4 separate slabs of hypertufa. I'm sure the roots will be well down into the ground by now though.

The flowers are not my favourite colour and don't go well with our red brick house but the plant is so good that I'm living with that. Bumble and honey bees adore it and the small foliage is scented rather nicely of a meat paste I used to have on my toast sometimes, as a child.

After flowering, I cut it as hard back as possible (to about 15 cms, as it has very hard woodly stems under the hairdo) and it soon regenerates and flowers all over again. There is a little seed each year if anyone would like some.

39021-0

39023-1
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 08:27:05 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2008, 08:25:10 PM »
Lesley Cox A case in point is this below. If anyone can suggest an ID I'd be very pleased. The seed was sown in 2003 I think or perhaps 04 but has just germinated this past autumn/winter. I've looked right back though the records of all my seed sowings and the only thing it could possibly be is either Disporum cantonensis or a couple of Alstroemerias. But in each case I sowed only 4, 3 and 5 seeds respectively and I've potted up 12 of whatever these are. The seeds still attached to the seedlings looked like Lathyrus species but surely no pea would have taken up to 4 years to germinate and anyway, I've no record of having sown a pea except the ones I do each year, such as LL. laxiflorus and nervosa.

Lesley,
Looks like an Alstroemeria (or Bomarea- same family).

Gerd
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 08:37:20 PM by Maggi Young »
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2008, 10:20:57 PM »
Thank you Gerd, from the bottom of my heart. At last (with help) the penny drops! I remember that Marjorie Smith in Tasmania sent me some seeds maybe at the end of 2003 or a few months later, of a Bomarea species (can't remember which, but that will come too, eventually). There were round about a dozen, and since then I've occasionally thought, what a waste that was because nothing germinated. So that's what they must be. The lesson learned - use the bread tags in the bottom of the pot and record EVERYTHING in my seed book.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2008, 11:38:53 PM »
Bomarea kalbreyeri ? Lesley
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2008, 03:58:58 AM »
Glad you enjoyed the pics everyone.  The colour of the Commelina is such a pure blue I adore it.

Fermi, my 4N Black Beauty is still a ways off flowering as yet, and unfortunately due ot an accident with a hedge trimmer my normal BB won't be gracing me with flowers this year!! <sigh>

Luit,

Dark stems, but not really black.  The buds look almost black, but open to this deep blue-purple with a paler stripe.  Overall it looks darker than Purple Cloud, although that isn't reflected in teh pictures.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2008, 04:11:54 AM »
Thanks Dave, but no, it's Bomarea caldassii, from RK in Tasmania. I've already put a label on it. Ain't the Forum a wonderful thing?

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2008, 09:55:13 AM »
Fabulous Salvia, Lesley. Obviously being cultivated just as it requires as its thriving. Great plant. Pity the colour doesn't entirely suit you.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2008, 08:17:36 AM »
Any ideas on the name of this small Clematis--about 60 cm in height with stiff stems that require support.
Ta .

Cheers Dave. 
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2008, 08:20:19 AM »
that's a great colour combination. Is it actually so blue?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2008, 08:44:40 AM »
Don't know what it is but it sure is a nice one Dave !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2008, 09:01:36 AM »
Thanks Luc.

Mark
That's an interesting question.

It's just on dusk here so i went outside and picked a flower.
Viewing it under artificial light it appears my shots haven't picked up the true colour .The shade is more towards purple as shown near the end of the petal tips in the first pic.

I'll take a few more pics tomorrow.

Cheers dave.
(Forecast to be warm and dry again tomorrow --mid to late 20s C--what a summer !.).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 09:04:02 AM by t00lie »

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2008, 10:49:31 AM »
Dave,

It looks a lot like C. viorna, although the colour is darker than I can find in any of my reference books (where they say it ranges from a dull purple to pink).  Whatever it is it is VERY pretty, and well worth growing even without a name.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2008, 07:35:44 PM »
Might be addisonii
Clematis addisonii
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 07:44:25 PM by Maggi Young »
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2008, 11:21:17 PM »
David, when it's not C. viorna then it could possibly be C. pitcheri.
Though C. viorna comes first, but maybe a named cultivar.
There are several cvs. grown in Holland by J. van Zoest.
greetings
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 07:48:56 AM by Lvandelft »
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2008, 08:53:01 AM »
Paddy,

Given your favouring of Lilium henryi earlier, here's the yellow version L. henryi citrinum (Thanks again Rob, it's delightful!!)

Also for everyone's enjoyment there's a shaggy double Shasta daisy that I have just been given a piece of.  Not that into the Shastas, but this one is rather pretty.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal