We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rhododendrons 2014  (Read 33499 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Rhododendrons 2014
« Reply #225 on: May 01, 2014, 11:12:05 PM »
I do hope that frost forecast is wrong, Ian - I can't bear to think of that fragrant beauty suffering damage.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #226 on: May 01, 2014, 11:43:11 PM »
Maggi what was that fab looking Rhodo on Beechgrove this evening? I was expecting Jim to mention it
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #227 on: May 02, 2014, 01:12:12 AM »

For myself -  I do enjoy clicking open the pictures, however for me most of the time it goes very slowly. Believe it or not I still use dial-up. When my brother comes into town he has devices that gets things to move much faster, so then I can and do open the pictures. I sure that I'm the odd duck out there, so who knows why others do not click open the photos. ?????? Hopefully they will speak up.

Robert and Maggi, for me anyway, it's a matter of time. I seem to have much less of it since "retiring," that concept whereby one has masses of spare time. It's not so, with all the other things to do, one didn't have time for before, and people assume one can do heaps of NEW things because now one is sitting about doing nothing at all. So I click on the unknown and the more obvious pics which have lots of colour or leaf form but leave many which have too much detail or are of "general" things rather than specific and of course many days recently have gone by without my opening the Forum at all (Shame on me. I always managed to dip in when I was working.)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #228 on: May 02, 2014, 01:15:04 AM »
(It might also have something to do with the fact that my PC and laptop both live in my bedroom which is akin to an icehouse at this time of year.)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #229 on: May 02, 2014, 01:22:09 AM »
I noticed yesterday that R. forrestii repens having sat unplanted in a polystyrene box for about 16 months now, since I lifted it to move, and had water up to its eyebrows for about a month last winter, has more buds now than ever before. Perhaps it likes to be badly treated but more likely it's going to put on a great display prior to its demise. Many plants do this, in an attempt to reproduce from seed before it's too late. For years I never had a seed on Roscoea procera (or purpurea procera?) a beautiful white with a double purple flash on the lower petals and originally grown from Joe Elliott's seed.  Then it got very dry one year. It flowered well and made lots of seed all of which which I gave away. I never saw it again as it didn't come up the following year.

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #230 on: May 02, 2014, 01:51:29 AM »
(It might also have something to do with the fact that my PC and laptop both live in my bedroom which is akin to an icehouse at this time of year.)

Lesley,

I suffer the cold room syndrome too!  :P Since I love my work, I can't imagine retiring, however all my activity keeps me slim, my wife would say "too skinny!", but also cold too often.

Rhododendron calendulaceum, one of a few, good, dwarf forms of this species. All are under 75cm, some even smaller after 15 years.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #231 on: May 02, 2014, 08:57:45 AM »
Robert, you Rhodo photos are an inspiration. I'm adding very other plant to my wish list of plants to grow in a future woodland garden. Thanks for this transatlantic treat.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #232 on: May 02, 2014, 09:09:00 AM »
Maggi what was that fab looking Rhodo on Beechgrove this evening? I was expecting Jim to mention it
Sorry Mark, I wasn't paying attention - didn't see a rhodo amongst all the potting and decking - will hav a look when the programme is on i-player to see if I spot it.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #233 on: May 02, 2014, 10:14:09 AM »
Sorry Mark, I wasn't paying attention - didn't see a rhodo amongst all the potting and decking - will have a look when the programme is on i-player to see if I spot it.

Do you mean this one, seen in the opening section in the conservatory?

-not sure - looks like it may be a R. formosum hybrid - I don't think it's a  pure species -  leaves too plain.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 10:21:27 AM by Maggi Young »

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #234 on: May 02, 2014, 11:39:19 AM »
yes that's it
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #235 on: May 02, 2014, 03:05:39 PM »
Robert, you Rhodo photos are an inspiration. I'm adding very other plant to my wish list of plants to grow in a future woodland garden. Thanks for this transatlantic treat.

Matt,

Thanks for the compliment. It is my understanding that some of the Southeastern U.S. species need a long growing season and heat to do well. Maybe you already know the ones that will do best in your area, but, at least, I wanted to put it out there.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #236 on: May 02, 2014, 08:43:53 PM »
Each Spring, it's one of the highlights in my garden : Rhododendron Yakushimanum

... and with it's neighbour : Rhododendron 'Percy Wiseman'

Another Yaku hybrid of which I lost the name.

Rhododendron 'Chicor' was cut back to the ground a couple of years ago because it was damaged - it's rejuvenating itself wonderfully !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Roma

« Reply #237 on: May 02, 2014, 10:36:10 PM »
Rhododendron calostrotum 'Gigha' yesterday.  minus 2 last night so it's all brown today.  Lots of the buds had already aborted though I am not sure if it was frost damage earlier or some other reason.
I don't know the name of the blue one
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Thorkild Godsk

« Reply #238 on: May 03, 2014, 04:00:21 PM »

Rhododendron from the garden today.
1 Rh cinnabarinum ssp xanthocodon
2 Flower of No 1
3 Rh cinnabarinum
4 flower of No. 3
5 Rh cinnabarinum
Thorkild - DK
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 04:02:13 PM by Maggi Young »
Thorkild.dk

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #239 on: May 03, 2014, 04:04:45 PM »
Your cinnabarinums look very healthy, Thorkild.  I abandoned mine because of powdery mildew attack  some years ago - they never looked as good as yours.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal