We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wanted - Luzuriaga parviflora (New Zealand Native) Seeds  (Read 1351 times)

mpetrich

Wanted - Luzuriaga parviflora (New Zealand Native) Seeds
« on: March 26, 2013, 05:17:50 PM »
Hello - I embarked on a search for Luzuriaga parviflora without fully appreciating how elusive this species is!  I am growing L. radicans, L. marginata, and L. polyphyllum, but won't have seeds for exchange for a couple of years, most likely.  I am delighted to reimburse postage.  Anyone with fruit, seeds, or information about how to get them, please let me know. I am grateful for any and all assistance in this quest.  In New Zealand, the fruit should be ripening just about now... :)

Regards
Matthew Petrich
400 Liberty Street #2
San Francisco, CA  94114
USA

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Wanted - Luzuriaga parviflora (New Zealand Native) Seeds
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 05:28:46 PM »
Welcome, Matthew!
This is a plant that I do not think has ever been mentioned (by this name or by any of its synonyms)
by any of our NZ  members or anyone else in the Forum.  :-\

That's not to say no-one knows a source - good luck !
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mpetrich

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 11:51:52 PM »
Thank you! I know it is out there, neither endangered nor rare.  I actually saw the fruit once, but had no idea I would regret not picking it!  Luzuriaga parviflora is slow to germinate, and slow to get going which is probably why it isn't all that common in the trade.  I have seen this referred to as Lantern Berry and Puwatawata.  I think the old latin names (Calyxene) are out of vogue now.  Someone is hiking in a NZ forest right now, passing a plant laden with fruit...I just know it! :D

jandals

• the waddleler
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 07:11:23 PM »
If I see any I will send them on . Wish I was hiking in the forest right now .
seed picker from Balclutha NZ

Jeffnz

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 10:13:26 PM »
I have checked the seed list for the major NZ native seed suppliers and none list the species you are after so you may have to rely on a dedicated tramper with an interest in our natve flora to collect seeds.
Jeff

mpetrich

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 01:58:28 AM »
Thank you for checking the NZ suppliers.  I truly appreciate your assistance.  It will take a determined tramper to bring these out of the wild.  Such a wonderful treasure hunt! If I could get there and do it myself, I would.  Alas, work...Ill send to anyone who collects seeds, a picture of me in a dress!  Eating a bug!  Kissing a dog!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal