We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus pests  (Read 4701 times)

ronm

Re: Galanthus pests
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 06:16:06 PM »
Yes Gerry, they will eat most anything. You are very unlucky, :( :( :(

Seriously if anyone finds one in their garden, UK only please, please PM me for my address, pack it in a small amount of compost and send it to me. I will of course pay P&P. Lets see if we can show that these are not an endangered genus in UK.

I will tally up all identified Ghost Moths received, and post regularly here to help the forum appreciate the problem and perhaps any hot spot areas.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 06:29:01 PM by ronm »

ronm

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 06:42:14 PM »

ronm

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 06:50:27 PM »

ronm

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 07:13:44 PM »
Maggi, may I set up a seperate thread to record these sendings?

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 07:27:11 PM »
Maggi, may I set up a seperate thread to record these sendings?
Of course.   :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 08:12:20 PM »
Its the nature of the beast. But if it can be tolerated, it will be gone next year more than likely.

Surely the nature of the beast is to lay its eggs where it found a food source?  I find lots of these larvae around my garden.  Last year I found two larvae in an empty plant pot that formerly contained two bulbs of Galanthus plicatus "Trym".  There were no bulbs any more, just the larvae.  When both were placed in the same small container they quickly fought each other to death!

I used to have a random mixed clump of Galanthus and Leucojum aestivum.  Last year the Galanthus had gone, suggesting something had 'cherry-picked' them from out of the clump.  I suspect this indicates that the larvae have a taste for Galanthus bulbs, or possibly just small bulbs.  It would be very interesting to test this by offering some captive larvae a choice of different bulbs to eat. 

Almost in Scotland.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 08:25:31 PM »
I'm not saying they dont exist anymore ! And i'm not saying that one larva will not do damage. Its the nature of the beast.
Yes Gerry, they will eat most anything.
So we should love & cherish them? All God's creatures.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

ronm

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 08:27:33 PM »
Alan, while I honestly believe what you have seen, this is amazing news if they were Swift / Ghost moth larvae. As the larvae are subterranean their behaviour is mostly unknown. Maybe cannibalism does exist if two meet? Never before recorded ( to my knowledge) but not unimaginable in a species with this type of feeding habit. Strangely in these cases the adults don't seem to seek out a food source, safe in the knowledge that the larva will eat almost anything it finds, therefore not seeking of specific foodstuff. Unfortunately due to regular cultivation and pan generic insecticides the genera has found itself under immense pressure despite its polyphagous nature. If you find one photo it please ( and send to me ) then move it to a patch of weeds some way fromyour garden, or send intact to me ( 1st class please ).
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 08:53:55 PM by ronm »

ronm

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2012, 08:29:26 PM »
Gerry, thats up to you. You are responsible for your own actions.

ronm

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 09:01:43 PM »
I assume you got my PM Alan and that you will send them ASAP. Thanks, ;)

ronm

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 09:13:14 PM »
New thread started on General/ Ghost Swift moth. Please help us record.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 09:31:27 PM »
Yes, Ron; I only have the one captive at present.  I'm sure I'd find more if I went digging in the garden.
Almost in Scotland.

ronm

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 09:39:57 PM »
Thanks Alan. If you do please let me know.  But please, as best you can, try to make sure they are the same as the one you are sending me. Since the first post I have been 'swotting' through all my ( extensive) literature, and there is no evidence ( that I can find )ever of species of this genus targeting plants of a single genus. If we do the graft over the next few years, maybe we can show this is / is not the case. Thanks for your cooperation. ;)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 11:29:28 PM by ronm »

ronm

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2012, 11:04:44 PM »
P.S. There are a myriad of soil dwelling beetle larvae that superficially resemble these moth larvae. i.e. white opalescant bodies and dark heads. These can be ( depending on species ) beneficial or harmful to the flora of the garden. If in doubt collect them alive and move them somewhere else.  ;)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 07:46:07 AM »
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal