We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Ghost / Swift moth survey  (Read 3546 times)

ronm

Ghost / Swift moth survey
« on: March 06, 2012, 08:48:06 PM »
Please if you find a larvae eating your plants dont kill it, but send it to me with details of numbers and location. Uk only please!!  This is to evaluate the extent of damage caused by these species and possibly their rareity . I need the living larva as confusion is rife. Please pack in a small box of regular compost. Send 1st class. I promise I will refund postage and packaging. PM for my address. Thank you in advance. Ron
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 09:43:45 PM by ronm »

ronm

Re: Ghost / Swift moth survey
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 10:19:18 PM »
Follow up messages today are reporting hundreds of pounds worth of damage caused to ornamental plants by this Genus. I have sent a message to DEFRA regarding this ( previously unknown ) financial damage, and will await and post their reply.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 10:26:14 PM by ronm »

ronm

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 10:24:30 PM »
A member has reported the third larva this year. These previous to this thread but photo evidence does seem to be of this genus.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 11:11:18 PM »
Which moth is the main culprit? Pleased (perhaps not the best word?) to see at least one British native moth doing well.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

ronm

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 11:22:17 PM »
We don't really know yet Anthony as this topic has just erupted today. All we have so  far is a photograph of a single larva, and as you know these , of the Hepialidae, are most difficult to seperate, especially from photographs. I have / hope members sending me specimens alive as they find them along with relevant data. See thread in Galanthus pests for history.  My own UV light records over many years show decline in this genus, but it would appear that it is indeed a pest of Galanthus, for at least a few of forum members. I find this news but must accept everyones views. Have you ever come across host specialization within this genus?
My experience is that once disturbed the larvae of this genus are notoriously difficult to re establish. I'm hoping to do this with specimens sent to me through the post. Any tips Anthony?

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 12:08:57 AM »
I've only met them sporadically in the garden. The females seek out the males and bash them to the ground before having their wicked way. Females then broadcast their eggs over grassland as they fly. It would be interesting to compare situations where caterpillars are found. They can be identified by their white body and orange head. http://www.davidkennardphotography.com/photos/2787-Swift-Moth-Hepialidae-caterpillar.xhtml

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 02:01:37 AM »
I just browsed swift moth in my email archive and have had many, many hits from a noted gardener in the Dublin area.  One email dating back to 1998 during a particularly bad outbreak says "but to tell you the truth I'm driven MAD, by larvae of Swift moth - which definitely like snowdrops more than anything except hellebores".  Previous emails from the same person list a host of other plants so affected - Polygonatum, Disporum, Primula, Paeonia.  Not a pest I've heard of on this side of the Atlantic - and happy about that thank-you  -  aside from the Conifer Swift Moth Korscheltellus gracilis which a search says is reported in area of Scranton, Penn.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 01:19:29 PM »
I don't know if I am being paranoid but my wife noticed this moth on the outside of our kitchen window yesterday evening.  I caught it in a jam jar but as I think it is still alive it is difficult to photograph well.  Can anyone identify it or do I need better photos? 
Almost in Scotland.

ronm

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 04:13:54 PM »
Hi Alan,
Looks like a 'Large Yellow Underwing', Noctua pronuba . Another one thats strongly attracted to light, and therefore quite commonly seen. Larvae feed on a wide range of herbs and grasses etc. You are becoming quite the Lepidopterist,  :)

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 05:22:09 PM »
Funny I have never seen the moth but we have had terrible trouble with the caterpillars of swift moth in pots of hellebores, even to the extent of some 30 to 40% of pots being affected. The caterpillars are quite aggressive to each other so generally only one or two are found in a pot - they are greatly liked by our resident robins when found. I assume from the high numbers in pots that the garden has a similarly strong infestation, and have put down my losses of snowdrops to this, though don't have unequivocal evidence of this. Would they be more liable to natural controls in the ground? Certainly very interesting to see this thread.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

ronm

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 06:23:49 PM »
Possibly ( after a re look  ) the 'Lesser Yellow Underwing' Alan. Noctua comes. Same foodplants for the larvae and very attracted to lights. if you still have it encourage it to open its wings slightly, lovely orange / yellow underwings.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 07:17:31 PM »
Looks more like a chestnut (Conistra vaccinii)? The underwings are summer moths, flying from July to September.

ronm

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 08:08:16 PM »
No. It is a Noctua I'm sure. Poke it and show us the hind wings please Alan.
Agree the thorax looks hairy enough for a Conistra, but even though they are all very variable I dont think enough patterning on the wings.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ronm

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 08:44:36 PM »
Good links Maggi to all interested in the Noctuidae. More variable than Galanthus and only slightly more easily distinguished!
Underwing photo needed please!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal