We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pulsatilla 2013  (Read 80181 times)

Olga Bondareva

Re: Pulsatilla 2013
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2013, 09:50:42 AM »
P. vernalis S.-Petersburg area

Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2013, 10:09:35 AM »
Natural habitat of P. vernalis in S.-Petersburg area. My friends are making images.  :)

Natural habitat of P. patens in S.-Petersburg area.

Natural habitat of P. patens in Moscow area.

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2013, 10:12:53 AM »
Miyakea integrifolia

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2013, 10:22:23 AM »
My plants of P. rubra. It's grown from not wild collected seed. I am not sure it's true. But it's red.  :) And some seedlings were violet like P. vulgarus. It is smaller and not as vigorous as . And it's leaves are more finely divided.

It's seed.

And it's leaf at the top left

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 10:24:32 AM by Olga Bondareva »

Susann

« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2013, 03:09:46 PM »
Thank you Nathalia for beautiful  pictures. The ones from nature are always the most interesting.

Dieas Flora of China includes P. kostyczewii? If my memory isn't wrong the species is an endemic of one Kyrgyzstan valley.
Yes, Olga, I have red the same information about P kostyczewii at internet as you have ( a Russian forum)), so I believed the same, but yes, it is described in the big official "Flora of China".

Olga´s P vernalis buds looks like cute small mushrooms in the shape!

Now we just have to get to the very heart of this topic. Does anyone have experiences of growing P ajanensis, P taraoi, P magadanensis or P tatewaki ( my personal favorite)?  At least tatewakii I think many of you have grown, right? I have killed many P sugawarii and P taraoi ( plants) , not mentioning P occidentalis. The latter germinates so good and then it says "Oh,  was it you? Well, goodbye then". Anyone having succes with it, not living in the area of its natural habitat? I am very interested in hearing about growing experiences of these species.

And, is there anyone who has got a source of seeds of these beautiful species?
The fastest way to reach your goal is to take one step at a time

olegKon

• onion farmer to the forum
« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2013, 03:38:43 PM »
Wonderful pics, everyone.
Coming back to P.rubra, I believe Olga's plant is true. Everything coincides with the description and pictures from France and Spane which have been posted. Here are some off-springs of Olga's plants. ( Sorry, I can't post pictures as all of them taken last year are more than 200 KB). Will try to find earlier pictures.
in Moscow

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2013, 04:39:25 PM »
Susann,
Try http://www.alplains.com/ for american P. patens and occidentalis, he lists it as Anemone occidenalis.

Susan
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2013, 06:27:12 PM »
Yes, Olga, I have red the same information about P kostyczewii at internet as you have ( a Russian forum)), so I believed the same, but yes, it is described in the big official "Flora of China".
That could be true. Kyrgyzstan has a border with China. And the valleys can be of the same conditions.

Now we just have to get to the very heart of this topic. Does anyone have experiences of growing P ajanensis, P taraoi, P magadanensis or P tatewaki ( my personal favorite)? 
You know I have had.  :-\ I grew P. ajanensis and P. magadanensis from seed. The first one died 2 years old. The second lived for 5 years but didn't bloom.

P. ajanensis

P. magadanensis

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2013, 06:30:20 PM »
Coming back to P.rubra, I believe Olga's plant is true. Everything coincides with the description and pictures from France and Spane which have been posted. Here are some off-springs of Olga's plants. ( Sorry, I can't post pictures as all of them taken last year are more than 200 KB). Will try to find earlier pictures.
Thank you Oleg. I am not as sure as you.  :) I become very careful with seed of garden origin.
Now I try to isolate the plants and to get pure seed.

Susann

« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2013, 07:12:23 PM »
thank you Susan for the link to Alplains. I am sorry to tell you that I have already killed uncountable seedlings of P occidentalis from Alplains. The American P patens does well in my garden, but I have not understod what P occidentalis wants.( P alpina does well, though. But that is of no help of course.)

Do you grow P occidentalis, can you give some information of how you grow it? Perhaps I can translate your experiences into Swedish circumstanses.

You know I have had.  :-\ I grew P. ajanensis and P. magadanensis from seed.

Sorry Olga, I had totally forgotten that you had tried P ajanensis. And, your P magadanensis is still bigger than mine. It has only two leaves after two years.
The fastest way to reach your goal is to take one step at a time

Natalia

« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2013, 07:37:23 PM »
I tried to grow these species:
P.ajanensis ascended and grows within 4 years, but it is very small and does not tolerate hot weather, never bloomed;
P. magadanensis  - I managed to get good germination, but the year was hot and the plants died;
P taraoi - the seeds were not very good quality, only one seed germinated, the plant is very weak.

Susann, the behavior of seedlings P occidentalis from Alplains, IMHO, similar behavior of seedlings P. magadanensis ...

Natalia
Russia, Moscow region, zone 3
temperature:min -48C(1979);max +43(2010)

peter hood

• Was it better without the picture?!
« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2013, 08:56:50 PM »
But, do you really think it is correctly namned? I have seen descriptions of P rubra with the adding of `serotina´as if it would be a cultivar? But still, the color of the flowers?! Here are three links with pictures from nature, two from France and one from Spain.
 .pdf[/url]

Susann, that Spanish Plant is a stunner; The French plants are more what I was expecting!
If we exclude for a moment the colour of the flowers - they are quite like the Gothenburg plant and my plant.

Olga, the leaves on your plant look just like the leaves on my plant. You plant looks right to me, though I accept your doubts about plants of cultivated origins.
It seems either that the colour of the flower is not diagnostic, and P.rubra could be blue/violet/red/brown / almost black; or that there are two closely related plants growing in that part of France.
None of these plants are P. vulgaris, although the blue/violet ones look quite like it.

My plants of P. rubra. It's grown from not wild collected seed. I am not sure it's true. But it's red.  :) And some seedlings were violet like P. vulgarus. It is smaller and not as vigorous as . And it's leaves are more finely divided.

Olga, the wild P. vulgaris in England is much smaller than the cultivated forms, very similar in size to these cf.P.rubra plants. The ones I have seen usually only have one flower per plant.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 08:59:52 PM by peter hood »
Peter Hood, from North East England

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2013, 12:05:16 AM »
And what about Pulsatilla montana? Is this a recognised name? I have had a plant for maybe 20 years under this name and the plant is smallish compared, say, with P. vulgaris, and the flowers are less open than many shown here and always a deep, crimson red. It's looking rather battered now and I hope I can save it as we move.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2013, 08:14:17 AM »
Susann, sorry I don't grow P. occidentalis. I have been concentrating mainly on bulbs recently but am going back into producing alpines again so am going to try pusatillas.
The picture of the Andorra P. alpina sulphurea looks like the one in cultivation here
Great thread for inspiration  :)
Susan
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2013, 10:49:02 AM »

Here is Oleg's P. rubra
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal