We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus November 2012  (Read 33747 times)

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
Re: Crocus November 2012
« Reply #240 on: November 26, 2012, 01:10:03 PM »
Some pics from yesterday in my garden - thanks to very generous friends two exceptional beauties are flowering on the Balearic Islands:
Crocus hyemalis - looks every year better  - and also Crocus moabiticus has adapted well the last years to the local conditions, it is the first time it has a fascinating flower.
As the control of moisture in pots is quite difficult with such delicate and rare plants I planted them out (accompanied by
 some heavy bellyache) - it seems the decision was not wrong.
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #241 on: November 26, 2012, 01:30:50 PM »
Hans, nice clump of C. hyemalis, but C. moabiticus is gorgeous!

Poul
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 07:16:30 PM by pehe »
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

ronm

Crocus demirizianus
« Reply #242 on: November 26, 2012, 05:01:39 PM »
Can anyone shed any light on this 'new'  ;D  species please?

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1756-1051.2012.01684.x/abstract
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 09:18:42 PM by ronm »

John Aipassa

« Reply #243 on: November 26, 2012, 06:56:05 PM »
Lots of rain today, but in the afternoon some blue sky was visible with a trace of sun. Not the best conditions for opening up its flower, but one lilac Crocus mathewii decided to do it (a little bit) making me very happy :) :).

White on the outside, but lilac on the inside.
John Aipassa, Aalten, The Netherlands
z7, sandy soil, maritime climate

"In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous." - Aristotle

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #244 on: November 27, 2012, 08:38:16 AM »
Thanks Poul! :)

Not the best conditions for opening up its flower, but one lilac Crocus mathewii decided to do it...

Nice Crocus John, but some details of your mathewii are strange:

- no stamens are visible
- long leaves at flowering time
- very late flowering

This details remember me my mathewii-imposter I received some years ago - it was a hybrid of somthing else but mathewii. :(
Here a picture of it: http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=6194.msg174305#msg174305
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
Re: Crocus demirizianus
« Reply #245 on: November 27, 2012, 08:57:12 AM »
Can anyone shed any light on this 'new'  ;D  species please?

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1756-1051.2012.01684.x/abstract
CROCUS DEMIRIZIANUS - it is very close to C. nubigena. It is described from surroundings of Čan - from roadside to Čannakale. There are mentioned three features separating it from nubigena. One of them relates to leaves but by my opinion it too much overlaps with nubigena. Another two seem to be more valid. The first is colour of petals - in demirizianus it is white with bluish purple flushed outside, in nubigena it generally is striped. How valid it is? I don’t know. Many species from biflorus group has specimens growing side by side with flushed, speckled and striped back of petals. Such B. Mathew mention for C. nubigena, too. The third feature is shape of anthers. In demirizianus it is pointed. You can compare this on attached pictures.
I have sample (R2CV-008) from almost same locality, only collected a little higher (demirizianus ~360m, mine 435 m). Another stock from lower altitudes didn’t bloom with me yet (I have only 2 years old seedlings from wild collected seeds). May be Ibrahim has pictures of this one.
Janis
Sorry, I didn't know how to inserrt picture from PDF file. So the last entry in attachment files you can open using Microsoft Word Document program. May be Maggi can place it as picture. It is fragment from picture in original publication.
Picture added to your post now Janis
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 12:35:30 PM by Janis Ruksans »
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

ronm

« Reply #246 on: November 27, 2012, 09:16:04 AM »
Thank you Janis.

I.S.

• http://crocusmania.blogspot.com/search/label/Crocus
« Reply #247 on: November 27, 2012, 09:25:06 AM »
  I was realy  surprised when I see this Nourdic Journa  :( because I have found this crocus 3 years ago. Just it was waiting for research on it.
I have seen first time this crocus with seeds pots on at the end of february at att. 250m. I was very happy that I have discovered an autumn biflorus. Next year they start to flower in december and finished january so It can't be an autumn crocus but early one.
  According to my own opservation this is very close to nubigena by morphologie and geography. I can only separate this from nubigena by its long filaments and without any regular strips on outer petals.
  You can find some more photos im my own blog wich I just started to build up,
http://crocusmania.blogspot.com/search/label/demirizianus
  Here I am posting few frame of this nice crocus
Crocus demirizianus

« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 06:09:08 PM by ibrahim »

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #248 on: November 27, 2012, 12:27:19 PM »
Many thanks for fantastic pictures, Ibrahim. Your website is very good, too. Pictures of "demirizianus" confirms variability of petals outside colouring. I checked my nubigena pictures and found that tips of anthers are very variable  -  pointed, rounded and filament's length varie, too. Plants from Samos has blue flowers (only few bloomed with me yet). So it seems that only early blooming allows to separate it from nubigena, but for such altitude it isn't special. So I don't know how valid as species it is. Most likely I would keep it under label Crocus nubigena - at least my plants.

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #249 on: November 27, 2012, 12:33:11 PM »
So I don't know how valid as species it is. Most likely I would keep it under label Crocus nubigena - at least my plants.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D That's what i like to hear.Janis you have made me happy.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #250 on: November 27, 2012, 12:42:13 PM »
Ibrahim, marvelous photos on your blog site.   I notice your link to the SRGC still uses the 'old' link, may I ask you to change that to  www.srgc.net   ?
I've added a link to your pages from the SRGC links.
Thank you!  :-*

What a very beautiful crocus this " demirizianus "is .... 8)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 12:44:29 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #251 on: November 27, 2012, 12:57:41 PM »
Not the season, but I want to add here pictures of some of mine nubigena, mostly from Lesbos and Samos.
Janis

I.S.

• http://crocusmania.blogspot.com/search/label/Crocus
« Reply #252 on: November 27, 2012, 02:10:58 PM »
 Maggi  thank you so much  for nice compliments. I just start to make my blog so update whenever I learned to use the program.  It will take lots of time but no problem I have time..

Janis you are right C. demirizianus and C. nubigena also is very variable.  For C. demirizianus early flowering is my observation. Where I have seen this plant was low altitude only 250 m.  Maybe they found it higher part! If so It can flower later too.  My  another observation on this crocus, It was a small in size almost half size of nubigena. Bunt in my samples most important feature is long filament.

I am attaching couple pictures with arrow shape of anthers  and variations of petals.
With my best wishes to all croconuts….
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 06:17:51 PM by ibrahim »

John Aipassa

« Reply #253 on: November 27, 2012, 04:09:58 PM »

Nice Crocus John, but some details of your mathewii are strange:

- no stamens are visible
- long leaves at flowering time
- very late flowering

This details remember me my mathewii-imposter I received some years ago - it was a hybrid of somthing else but mathewii. :(
Here a picture of it: http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=6194.msg174305#msg174305

Hans,

Thanks for replying. I have noticed the difference with other mathewii too this afternoon when looking at it more closer. And looking at your 'Dream Dancer' photo on the link you have given, it  pretty much look the same as mine. So an imposter it is than? Have you tried to pollinate it. I couldn't find any good anthers on mine. White and shriveled. I obtained mine as 'Dream Dancer' too by the way.
John Aipassa, Aalten, The Netherlands
z7, sandy soil, maritime climate

"In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous." - Aristotle

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #254 on: November 27, 2012, 07:04:18 PM »
One from the greenhouse today- Crocus serotinus ssp clusii 'Poseidon'.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal