We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: September 2012 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 16867 times)

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
Re: September 2012 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #120 on: September 26, 2012, 10:42:11 PM »
Hi Lesley,

Isn't it strange - my situation is the exact reverse! Nearly all my stock originates from Samos or west of Mugla and they all have plain glaucous green, occasionally yellowish, and winged capsules. The unwinged ones originate from near Tavas south east of Denizli. I have not found it there despite my best efforts but Rannweg and Bob Wallis did and sent me a few.

I don't think hybridity explains the variable colour. F. pinardii in my experience doesn't meet F. bithynica in its range and The Fritillaria Group's website features a range of forms and colours for this species.

Cheers, Marcus

ronm

« Reply #121 on: September 26, 2012, 10:48:30 PM »
I have not found it there despite my best efforts but Rannweg and Bob Wallis did and sent me a few.

Does anyone know if they wrote up this discovery anywhere?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 10:51:00 PM by ronm »

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #122 on: September 26, 2012, 10:57:26 PM »
Ron,

I believe the two forms have been described by Rix and reported within the pages of the Fritillaria Group's bulletins but I can't remember which ones.

Davis certainly describes the capsule "as usually 6 winged tapering towards the base". Maybe Gerry can shed some light from Rix's description in Flora of Turkey (Rix)?

I don't think they have published anything on this plant but they certainly told me where to look for it.

I dont have a copy of 'The revision of the genus Fritillaria L. (Liliaceae) in the Mediterranean region (Turkey)' by Mehtap TEKŞEN and Zeki AYTAÇ, of 2011. Is it online?

Cheers, Marcus

ronm

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #124 on: September 26, 2012, 11:09:53 PM »
Thanks!

M

Gerry Webster

« Reply #125 on: September 26, 2012, 11:36:41 PM »
Further info from Flora of Turkey which I didn't read properly the first time. " Populations with unwinged capsules are scattered throughout the southern part of the distribution of the species."

In Kew Bull. 30, 162 ( 1975) Rix refers to unwinged specimens from nr. Aydin, nr. Efes, nr.  Izmir & from Samos. He states that a cross between unwinged & winged forms produced a plant with a more narrowly winged capsule
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #126 on: September 27, 2012, 12:20:14 AM »
Hi Gerry,

Thanks for clearing up that part. But what of the revision 2011, by the two Turkish Botanists?

I will have to set aside some time to read it - in between pricking out cyclamen and writing my new seed list!!

Cheers, Marcus

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #127 on: September 27, 2012, 12:56:33 AM »
Hi Folks,

Just had a quick look at 'The revision of the genus Fritillaria L. (Liliaceae) in the Mediterranean region (Turkey)' by Mehtap TEKŞEN and Zeki AYTAÇ, of 2011.

As a footnote to the description for Fritillaria milasense I found this, "It is stated in a footnote in the Flora of Turkey that, in the southern part of the distribution of the F. bithynica species, populations with unwinged capsules exist. Morphologically, these specimens differ from F. bithynica by their glaucous leaves (not green); bracts 1 (-2) [not (1-) 3 (-4)]; flowers purple with a clear yellow stripe outside and inside or yellow with purplish-brown stripe and with a yellowish apex outside (not outside glaucous, inside yellowish-green, shining green), capsule 9-11 × 10-12 mm, unwinged (not 13-28 × 10-18 mm, 6-winged).

Bit confused by this, firstly. Why is it placed under the description for F. milasense because it doesn't match it's description? Is it still an undecided species? Secondly they describe F. bithynica as having green leaves - not in my backyard does it!!

Any ideas?

Cheers, Marcus

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #128 on: September 27, 2012, 01:43:49 AM »
They are right about the difference in the bracts - just checked.

M

Gerry Webster

« Reply #129 on: September 27, 2012, 09:56:18 AM »
Confusing (& confused?):
1. Rix's statement about populations is not in a footnote but in the body of the text in my copy.
2. The claim about morphology is not - as implied -  in Flora  of Turkey.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #130 on: September 27, 2012, 02:42:50 PM »

a  few plants in flower in my garden at the moment:   
 Anigozanthos gabrielae ,the smallest of the Kangaroo Paws from Western Austalia ,I know of
 Clematis 'Sweet Hart' a New Zealand hybrid trained upwards -there is another plant scramblig over rocks in my rockgarden
and a beautyful darkflowered seedling with dark leaves of Trillium rivale . I'm indebted to my dear friend Viv Condon who shared seeds with me
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #131 on: September 27, 2012, 02:54:44 PM »
Luscious trillium, Otto - Rasberry Sorbet!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #132 on: September 28, 2012, 03:38:39 AM »
Hi Otto,

Lovely pictures - has the clematis hybrid got C. paniculata genes in it? Such a lovely species but such a climber - the flowers are usually out of sight in a few years. Maybe someone finally decided to try and keeps its flowers near the ground for better viewing!

Lot of iris starting to move so here is a small sample:

Iris falcata - controversial? species from central Greece offer as seed from Pilous
Iris taochia - lovely species - Fermi posted a picture of his over a month ago.
Iris subbiflora hybrid - originally a lovely gift from Pat Toolan.

Cheers, Marcus

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #133 on: September 28, 2012, 07:57:58 AM »
Hi again,

I'll finish up today with a few more frits  from Hill View:

Fritillaria aff. pontica - a bewildering plant originally from Bob and Rannweig Wallis.
Fritillaria olivieri - a Gotenborg Botanic Garden collection.
Fritillaria mutica - originally from Ron Ratko collection (North West Native Seeds - no defunct)

Cheers, Marcus

Mini bulb lover

« Reply #134 on: September 29, 2012, 12:47:59 PM »
Marcus,

I'm very envious of your frits! I haven't had much success with frits in the past so I've all but given up.  :'(

Otto,

That Trillium rivale is just beautiful.

Fermi,

Geissorhiza splendidissima - I had to put on my sunglasses to view that close-up.  ;) Spectacular. Was that grown from seed? How long did it take from seed to flower? I'm growing Geissorhiza monanthos from seed at the moment. I hope it's as vibrant as yours when it finally flowers.

Below is a blue Dierama (I assume it's "Blue Belle"). It's just starting to flower. I hope it's still in flower after I get back from Tasmania. It's the first year I've had it.

I created a raised garden bed this year (I have clay soil) and tried growing some Dutch hybrid tulips in it. I've had mixed results. I don't think I made the mix free draining enough. I'll have to sort it out over summer.
Jon Ballard
Eastern suburbs of Melbourne - Australia

Lover of small flowering bulbs.
"Good things come in small packages"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal